Humpty was pushed

I waited too long to rip my CDs.....

Finally got round to ripping the last of my CD collection - I have 20 or so Deutsche Grammophon classical discs, Beethoven, Berlioz and Schubert etc.

Most are from 1987 - 1990. All have a slightly gold tinge to the disc, that I don't think was there twenty years ago when I last looked.....and almost all of them are unreadable to my CD drive. 

Perfect music forever? 

Oh dear. First of all don't panic. are you sure it's not your drive that is the problem, strange that they should almost all be at fault. In my experience there is one major cause of CDs being unreadable and that is bronzing see - http://www.classical.net/music/guide/society/krs/excerpt3.php

I experienced this with many Hyperion discs an Island disc by sandy denny but no DG.

So, first of all  have a look at the list of CDs on the link http://www.classical.net/music/guide/defective.php   then try another drive for ripping.

Good luck.

Yes just try a different CD drive. They . are cheap enough on Amazon, I have a Bluray RW drive that reads everything, even those that look like they have been used as a drinks coaster

I knew of the bronzing issue, it is just ironic that the "best" discs - all DG and Karajan Mehta etc, I kept as CD only until now! some will still play on my Denon, so I guess I can turn error correction down or try another drive. 

I remember doing huge data backups in the early nineties for a big corporation who said CD would be the default storage medium for the next 50 - 100 years.....

Maybe try copying them on a computer ROM drive, which often overrides errors, then rip them. I had some nice brown cds and they all read fine, but gradually showed worse and worse distortion

I have the white version of this portable USB external drive - LG GP57EB40 available cheap from Amazon at under £25 delivered.

Hasn't let me down yet using properly configured EAC to rip all sorts. It's one of the recommended drives on EAC's list of drives known to rip successfully.

Got to be worth a punt?

31szP9U-XTL.jpg

12 minutes ago, parcelmonkey said:

I have the white version of this portable USB external drive - LG GP57EB40 available cheap from Amazon at under £25 delivered.

Hasn't let me down yet using properly configured EAC to rip all sorts. It's one of the recommended drives on EAC's list of drives known to rip successfully.

Got to be worth a punt?

31szP9U-XTL.jpg

How long does it take to rip a cd? Is it normal playing time, or fast?

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, Guzziboy said:

Fast, faster or fastest, depending on error correction and the speed of your drive.

3 minutes ago, Guzziboy said:

I set it for extreme accuracy in EAC so not quick on that setting but also not stupidly slow, tbh I've never timed it. There are various settings so you can adjust to whatever suits.

• Like 1

I seem to remember in the early days of cd copying that all the hi mags recommended 1:1 as the optimum speed, for highest bit for bit accuracy. Don’t know whether that still hold true though?

On 27/05/2019 at 09:32, greybeard said:

error correction

What is that ? I think I ticked it anyway just make sure as most of my CD's have strawberry jam on them as recommended on Tomorrow's World .

• Haha 3

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, Bazzer said:

most of my CD's have strawberry jam on them as recommended on Tomorrow's World .

I always have marmalade on mine, as recommended, by Paddington. :D

• Haha 3

Super Wammer

Only if his vocal chords have been cut first. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, AntA said:

Morrissey CDs are best played silver side up.

3 hours ago, bencat said:

Only if his vocal chords have been cut first. 

I gave you both Haha  but I actually like Morrissey , well his music I have never met him .