vintageaxeman

Using Burson discrete modules to replace ICs....

Super Wammer

I plan to replace some ICs (Muses02) which are dual opamps, with the equivalent V6 Vivid dual plug-in unit from Burson, which is a discrete module in a DIP-8 package.

However, I wondered whether it might be better to use a dual to 2xsingle opamp adapter which would then allow me to use two SINGLE Burson V6 Vivid discrete units.

What's your opinion? Would this be a better option?

Cheers!

Posted (edited)

I haven't come across any reports of users hearing any difference between singles or duels myself but have compared both the V6 Vivid and V6 Classic in my headphone amp / Pre-amp.

If you have room (I'm guessing you have if the space to mount two singles) and want to save a bit of cash consider the Chinese clone of legendary Marantz HDAM module (full discrete dual op amp) Sonically I thought it sits neatly between the Vivid and Classic having a nice blend of of both but with out taking to the extremes of the Bursons. They should all be interchangeable but always check and see if a replacement for your current op-amp. 

This is the one I used.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-Discrete-DUAL-Channels-Op-Amp-Module-replace-NE5532-MUS02-OPA2604-LME49720/252473351516?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Edited by JamieMcC

I know someone who tried that out with a few discrete op amps including the Bursons and could detest no difference between a dual and two singles.

Posted (edited)

I would not do any type op-amp rolling (substitution) , unless I had a high speed O-scope handy to check for ringing or oscillation.

Had that type of problem when an chip manufacture changed their process and made the op-amps better.  The new op-amps oscillated.

Edited by Speedskater
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

Cheers guys!

Don't waste your time and money just replace them with  OPA1612.

http://www.ti.com/product/OPA1612

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
On 12/06/2019 at 15:08, sq225917 said:

OMG! So the are the V6 opamps similar?....   I hope not...thereports are that the V6 uses discrete (although SMD) parts....

It reminds me of when the Chord company hid a $10 JVC plastic remote control inside their huge and impressive looking aluminium block remote...

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=202&t=1234794&i=600

Edited by vintageaxeman

They're pretty open about the small can version not being discrete, the bigger ones are discretes, but they won't sound any better. Honestly, 1612 is the best performing part around unless you need something specific.

Super Wammer
11 hours ago, sq225917 said:

They're pretty open about the small can version not being discrete, the bigger ones are discretes, but they won't sound any better. Honestly, 1612 is the best performing part around unless you need something specific.

Thank you for the advice!

I find it incredible when a company conceals things or lies blatently about their product, or sells you something under a smokescreen by 'suggestion'...Not saying that Burson is doing that, you understand....

I have used ancillary products from Townshend, RA, PS Audio, Mober and many other companies along with my main sources and amps, and I enjoy the results that I get from the changes that their products make in my systems. I am one of those people who, even if I'm suspicious that a claim that a company makes seems to be exaggeration, I keep listening or reading about it....and then I often try similar things out on the cheap, just for my own pleasure, using similar principles in my own designs....feet, supports & suspension, chassis damping, EMI/RF shielding, cable, component & tube rolling.  Much of the time, I DO notice a positive difference...and sometimes of course, if there is a difference, it's virtually imperceptible.... but the results of my mods are mostly for the better, or else I wouldn't keep doing them!  It keeps me off the streets!

I don't think Burson lie about their parts, they conceal what the opamp is, but then if they've tested loads of parts and spent the time mounting it with a set of components to put it in the sweet spot of its operating- area then fair enough. A 100n quality smt cap across the psu pins will do the same thing, is the same thing.

Their discreet op-amps are designed with a certain sound in mind, I assume, at the very least a belief in the imperfection of single circuit on integrated dies. 

We pays our money and take our choice.