mr neds

Help! Have removed cd drawer, but can’t put it back so it works

Posted (edited)

Took out the drawer of a CA 640 c to replace the belt. I can’t seem to get it to operate or read a disc once pushed back in. Anyone else had this problem? I’m guessing something is in the wrong place. It worked before, by the way, just the usual CA belt slipping issue

Cheers!

Edited by mr neds
Typing mistake

Doesn’t make sense with the title 

Didn’t quite know how to phrase it! I followed some pics online to remove the tray, then couldn’t get at the belt anyway. I’ve reinserted the tray a couple of times, but it won’t open or close mechanically

Yes, your thread now matches the title lol.

not had the experience but any micro switches in or around the drawer?

This is the site I got the info from http://ebolatone.blogspot.com/2014/08/fixing-cambridge-640c-v1-cd-player.html  Not much info about getting it back in. There’s a mention of micro switches, but I think they’re under the mech? I think that it’s probably a mechanical issue, ie cogs not in the right place

4 minutes ago, mr neds said:

This is the site I got the info from http://ebolatone.blogspot.com/2014/08/fixing-cambridge-640c-v1-cd-player.html  Not much info about getting it back in. There’s a mention of micro switches, but I think they’re under the mech? I think that it’s probably a mechanical issue, ie cogs not in the right place

A case of patience and delicate removal and perhaps try again?

They are a bit of a sod to get in and out and you have to make sure the rotation of the drive cog is aligned correctly with the teeth on the tray ratchet when you reinstall it, otherwise the timing won’t be correct and it won’t work properly.

Whereabouts are you in the UK?

• Upvote 1

I think you’ve nailed it there Adam. It came out easily at first, but got stuck on the right hand side. I’ve managed to get it in a few times, but it doesn’t go in easily! I tried using the open button to line up the loading cog, but no joy- the tray makes a horrible ratcheting noise as it goes in. Why does it have to be so difficult?? I live in SE London by the way. Maybe I need to get hold of a service manual somehow

8 minutes ago, mr neds said:

Maybe I need to get hold of a service manual somehow

Your wish is my command sir.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/cambridge-audio/azur-640c.shtml

• Upvote 1

Service manual is absolutely useless for mechanical repairs- just components and circuit diagrams. Finally realised today that (a. I needed to push the tray in when I’d pressed open and before it auto retracted and (b. shouldn’t have been testing it with a dvd r, which I thought was a cd! All good now, many thanks gang

Normally it's a case of getting a plastic bit underneath the tray in the correct channel, either side and it won't work. It's part of the mechanical heath robinson device that synchronises lifting the pickup assy out of the way as the drawer opens and closes.