Chivas

Valve amp suggestions for Harbeth 40.1

Hi all, I’ve been running my Icon Audio MB845’s for a good few years now and had great service from them. But recently I’ve been wondering what else is out there that could work as well if not better.

Attributes I most appreciate are warmth and (smooth) detail (in that order) but above all dynamics, scale and a holographic 3D soundstage with lifesize images. I cannot stand edginess, grain or bright sounding equipment.

At some stage I pondered switching the amps and speakers out for something Audio Note (probably “affordable” AN monos and the ANE SPE HE) - but I expect that this will come at a considerable cost. I like the Harbeths and most cost effective will probably be to just change the power amps for a slightly different flavour.

Rest of the chain is an AN M3 phono, all Origin Live vinyl rig with an AN IO2 cart. The digital side won’t influence my decision (if any).

Any suggestions will be appreciated. I’d prefer 2nd hand and something with big glowing bottles

Many thanks in advance

Chivas

PS. Do Puresound still trade? I’ve always been curious how the M845’s will sound in my system, but have never heard a pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

yes puresound still trade as far as i know , the owner is very active on a certain hi fi forum  

http://www.puresound.info/index.html

Edited by hifinutt

What budget would you be looking at?

What budget would you be looking at?

I don’t have a very specific budget in mind, but something for “sensible” money, let’s say somewhere between £2k-£5k 2nd hand if I had to put a range to it. It won’t be a quick decision, so happy to take my time and save up for longer if needed, for now I would just like to get down to a shortlist to explore further

yes puresound still trade as far as i know , the owner is very active on a certain hi fi forum  
http://www.puresound.info/index.html

That’s good to know thanks. I’ve always felt that Guy’s products fly below the radar for some reason

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chivas said:

I don’t have a very specific budget in mind, but something for “sensible” money, let’s say somewhere between £2k-£5k 2nd hand if I had to put a range to it. It won’t be a quick decision, so happy to take my time and save up for longer if needed, for now I would just like to get down to a shortlist to explore further

Audio Research would be on my shortlist for the 40’s  

Super Wammer

problem is they are so incredibly expensive , there are a number of GS arc products floating around in s/h market but they dont seem to sell . of course ref 6 fly out the door so fast . 

Super Wammer

alan B swore by unison research and their amp certainly did sound delicious on his shl5plus 

like this 

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/unison-research-unico-90?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8M6M6OC54gIVYbftCh0JFQUDEAQYASABEgIGMPD_BwE

• Like 2

Audio Research would be on my shortlist for the 40’s  

Good shout, but I am not a great fan of the aesthetics - I know this should not play a role, but it does unfortunately.

Whatever I end up with should have good bottom end grip as the 40’s can be a little loose on a bad day. I believe Harbeth have tidied them up in the next version

1 minute ago, Chivas said:

Good shout, but I am not a great fan of the aesthetics - I know this should not play a role, but it does unfortunately.

Whatever I end up with should have good bottom end grip as the 40’s can be a little loose on a bad day. I believe Harbeth have tidied them up in the next version

That’s a fair enough point as they are quite industrial looking.

i just know from experience with an acquaintance, they are very dynamic and I also cannot stand bright and hard kit. 

Does it definitely have to be valve?

Also Pathos come to mind

Does it definitely have to be valve?

I’m afraid so. I’m a sucker for that mesmerising coloration

• Like 1

Just now, Chivas said:

I’m afraid so. I’m a sucker for that mesmerising coloration emoji12.png

Fully understand... texture and coloration 👍🏻

• Like 1

I’m afraid so. I’m a sucker for that mesmerising coloration [

I also value the current delivery capacity of valve amps, and the weight and texture to the sound.

I do not wish to start a valve v SS debate though. I couldn’t give a damn about accuracy, it’s about what sounds pleasant to me and makes my music enjoyable

• Like 2

Fully understand... texture and coloration

Snap!