plasticpenguin

Are you music or hi-fi first person?

On 29/05/2019 at 21:49, Speedracer said:

Taking out any glib answers to the question then there can only be one answer, music. It's all about the music, in fact I would say I have shaped my life around it, from listening to Radio Luxembourg on a tinny little radio under the bed covers when sent to bed as a child, or TOTPs on the TV, to a Dansette type player, live gigs, DJing & on & on. It was years before I even realised there was another level of equipment that purported to replay music "realistically & accurately", but until then I was happy with anything, as long as my world was full of music.

With regards accuracy of playback, I am really not interested. Unless you were able to talk to the musicians & engineers who produced the music how the hell are you supposed to know how they intended it to sound? I just want my replay system to produce a sound that fills me with emotion, & makes me feel happy/sad/excited/enthralled/want to go dancing etc etc. The more I learn, the more I want from my kit, because then I will get more pleasure.

Simple.

It was great until you mentioned engineers....
Lovely post.

I love listening to music and if I had the money it would be with a good Audio.  Also I play guitar and learn new music either by ear or youtube and DVD guitar tutorials; it does not matter so much about any sound quality as long as I can repeat any part of track inorder to learn the notes.  In the last Bristol HiFi show I atlast found my dream system but in ££££ a little out of reach!

4 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

I love listening to music and if I had the money it would be with a good Audio.  Also I play guitar and learn new music either by ear or youtube and DVD guitar tutorials; it does not matter so much about any sound quality as long as I can repeat any part of track inorder to learn the notes.  In the last Bristol HiFi show I atlast found my dream system but in ££££ a little out of reach!

What is your dream system?

Once you have found it, if it's financially out of reach, the challenge is putting together an affordable system, while keeping a flavour of the more expensive one.

5 hours ago, CnoEvil said:

What is your dream system?

Once you have found it, if it's financially out of reach, the challenge is putting together an affordable system, while keeping a flavour of the more expensive one.

It was  the ATC SCM40 with the ATC  sia2-100 Integrated amp, both components just gelled together and the ATC SCM 40 speaker was just so interesting espescially in the midrange.  The bass for my limited ears sounded so perfect, maybe its those sealed cabinets?  I have my scource just need the two above components and maybe an old style bank job:D

At the moment I have a small system in the kitchen, no complaints its very musical and I have a ready library to my music collection stored on hard disk.  However after hearing the ATC system my heart has not stopped pounding in excitement as to what could be.....

• Like 1