plasticpenguin

Are you music or hi-fi first person?

Recommended Posts

There are two distinct elements for me. First comes listening and enjoying music. Second, the elements of buying second hand gear and swapping and playing with it to see how it changes the sound and whether I can create an even better system. Like many others I can amuse myself for hours swapping cables and various bits of kit, wonderful fun. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me my HiFi system is a means to an end and that end is music .

I have reached a point in my system building were I am 99% happy with what it provides and that is music that sounds live and real , it creates a huge space in my room which it then populates with musicians and their equipment , I can push a button any time I like and they perform for me .

I often forget I even own a HiFi system . :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CnoEvil said:

IMO. HiFi is pointless, if you don't like how it sounds.....and HiFi only exists, because music exists.

Making Hifi the priority over the music, would be like owning a 100 ft yacht, while living in the middle of the Sahara. 

Think they are called sand yachts

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me hifi is separate from music. I can start dancing to anything anywhere. So hifi for me has been about pride of ownership. 

We all want to do atleast one thing right in our lifetimes. Possess at least one precious thing that gives us a sense of pride and accomplishment. I don't even own a car, forget being a fancy one at that. I still borrow my wife's car when I need to. So I've put all my resources into the one thing that I can take pride in...my hifi rig. And it just adds to the sense of ownership, as I also love music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

.....and that is why Forums are so useful.

To answer inane threads like this...

:rofl:

Music or Hi-Fi?

Err...

Would I listen to a fantastic system playing plinky plonky Jazz, not for long! Would I listen to my favourite album ever on a system that made my ears bleed and my soul cry from within? Same answer as above...

For me, the system and the music have to gel, I love a system that sounds balanced and musical, that's all I care about, I also care greatly about what I listen to so finding new music I enjoy is at least half the battle.

I also like forums because that gives me an outlet so I don't become too insular, have a wealth of knowledge at my fingertips and occasionally meet others of a similar bent (noun)

to enjoy the social side of things. :pint:

My thoughts only...

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, parcelmonkey said:

To answer inane threads like this...

:rofl:

Music or Hi-Fi?

Err...

Would I listen to a fantastic system playing plinky plonky Jazz, not for long! Would I listen to my favourite album ever on a system that made my ears bleed and my soul cry from within? Same answer as above...

For me, the system and the music have to gel, I love a system that sounds balanced and musical, that's all I care about, I also care greatly about what I listen to so finding new music I enjoy is at least half the battle.

I also like forums because that gives me an outlet so I don't become too insular, have a wealth of knowledge at my fingertips and occasionally meet others of a similar bent (noun)

to enjoy the social side of things. :pint:

My thoughts only...

What does that say about you, replying to ridiculous threads like this?

Edited by plasticpenguin
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I firmly believe people with hi-fi are generally a little like librarians: They have 2.4 children, drive an average car that's economical ( or in Surrey drive a ridiculous one that takes up all car-parking space). They are generally of a certain age where they have a little money put away so they buy ridiculously over-priced kit to listen to their Matt Munro albums, and at dinner parties with and develop an adenoidy drone and bore the shit out of others about their latest purchase (include myself with this description, except for the car).

Agree with others that a good hi-fi can enhance the music pleasure, but I could also live with a £200 Argos system without making my ears bleed. Hi-fi IMHO isn't the be all... music is.

I'm off on Tuesday to see the GP about my adenoids. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

I firmly believe people with hi-fi are generally a little like librarians: They have 2.4 children, drive an average car that's economical ( or in Surrey drive a ridiculous one that takes up all car-parking space). They are generally of a certain age where they have a little money put away so they buy ridiculously over-priced kit to listen to their Matt Munro albums, and at dinner parties with and develop an adenoidy drone and bore the shit out of others about their latest purchase (include myself with this description, except for the car).

Agree with others that a good hi-fi can enhance the music pleasure, but I could also live with a £200 Argos system without making my ears bleed. Hi-fi IMHO isn't the be all... music is.

I'm off on Tuesday to see the GP about my adenoids. :D

 My wife thinks they are all 50 to 70 yr old Saddos with beards.

I only qualify by having the average car that's economical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

I firmly believe people with hi-fi are generally a little like librarians: They have 2.4 children, drive an average car that's economical ( or in Surrey drive a ridiculous one that takes up all car-parking space). They are generally of a certain age where they have a little money put away so they buy ridiculously over-priced kit to listen to their Matt Munro albums, and at dinner parties with and develop an adenoidy drone and bore the shit out of others about their latest purchase (include myself with this description, except for the car).

Speak for yourself :D.

(My Mum was a librarian and has zero interest in hifi...)

I'm 'supposed' to be 'working' on making some acoustic panels right now but I've got distracted by listening to music (Thea Gilmore's Burning Dorothy album). I guess that sort of answers the original question!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Colinjg said:

 My wife thinks they are all 50 to 70 yr old Saddos with beards.

I only qualify by having the average car that's economical.

To be fair it could quite easily be 40-70 yr olds.

I have on occasions told my daughter or Mrs. P to shush while I'm listening to some music.

I am a beardless saddo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Speak for yourself :D.

(My Mum was a librarian and has zero interest in hifi...)

I'm 'supposed' to be 'working' on making some acoustic panels right now but I've got distracted by listening to music (Thea Gilmore's Burning Dorothy album). I guess that sort of answers the original question!

There you go.

My acoustic panels are carpets and curtains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This proves I'm a music first person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

There you go.

My acoustic panels are carpets and curtains.

I use similar acoustic treatments in my room, plus a TV and various pieces of furniture. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

I firmly believe people with hi-fi are generally a little like librarians: They have 2.4 children, drive an average car that's economical ( or in Surrey drive a ridiculous one that takes up all car-parking space). They are generally of a certain age where they have a little money put away so they buy ridiculously over-priced kit to listen to their Matt Munro albums, and at dinner parties with and develop an adenoidy drone and bore the shit out of others about their latest purchase (include myself with this description, except for the car).

Agree with others that a good hi-fi can enhance the music pleasure, but I could also live with a £200 Argos system without making my ears bleed. Hi-fi IMHO isn't the be all... music is.

I'm off on Tuesday to see the GP about my adenoids. :D

2 - 4 Children......................Tick

Economical Car..................Tick

50 -70..................................Tick

Money put away (but disappearing like the polar ice cap)....Tick

Beard (Designer stubble!)...Tick

Bonkers................................Tick

Saddo...................................Tick

Damn, that doesn't look good, does it?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.