plasticpenguin

Are you music or hi-fi first person?

Everyone can love music, but to love hifi or trying out new kit takes... disposable income. 

That’s why I think there’s many folk on here of a certain age (with or without beards 😂). 

I don’t meet the above criteria - I have the 2 kids, someone else an have the 0.4 extra, 2 is plenty... I’m in my 30’s, but luckily I have the financial means to amuse myself buying/trying/selling stuff, plus a very accommodating lady, who lets me crack on with it and doesn’t moan too much, unless I fill the front room with speakers 😀

I think passion for hifi or music stems from something. 

For me - I got the bug when I used to regularly visit a hifi shop in the city centre on my way back from school and still wearing my uniform, and bless them, they’d humour me and set different stuff up for me to hear (clearly knowing I was too young to be able to afford anything). However, as I was older and had disposable income - they did very well out of me 😀

As for the love of music. Pretty much all of my spare cash goes on gigs. I go to usually several each month, often all over the country. 

Of my “home entertainment” - If I had to sacrifice my telly or my hifi and tunes. No contest all at. 

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

My acoustic panels are carpets and curtains.

Believe it or not I use these too :). Good to see you have a carpet though, rather than the retrograde affliction that is laminate flooring!

(I'm just trying out some acoustic treatments to assess whether they're worth the space and aesthetic downsides to me.)

Edited by MartinC

If your system is dictating the type of music you listen to, you've taken a wrong turn in this hobby.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

When I joined the 'wam there was the option to put your hobbies/interests in the personal info bit, mine read "music, beer, Everton, hi-fi" , they haven't changed.

The answer is simple - the music is the most important - but that is why we hanker after good systems so we can enjoy the music even more.  But faced with the choice of limited music and a great system (in the days when you had to buy all your music and it wasn't cheap) or lots of music and a mediocre system then I would take the latter.

Do you sit in the car and evaluate the system or do you just enjoy the music when you drive?   Before the days of car audio we all had to have a bog standard AM radio - then an FM radio - then stereo - then multi speaker car systems etc etc.  The development of good systems only happened because of the music.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

In my view the way I judge if I love music or hi fi is by how many Albums/CDs/Cassttes I own . If I have spent thousands on equipment and own about 40/50 of any of the above then I would be a hi fi lover and the equipment is the thing that excites me. If on the other hand I won thousands of CDs in my case then I probably like music more that hi fi , no clear cut rules but it is an indicator .

Of course with the modern advance in streaming anyone can have a huge library at their disposal with owning any music but I am choosing to ignore this because i am old and currently ill .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 26/05/2019 at 05:50, plasticpenguin said:

Are you music or hi-fi first person?

I am willing to bet that almost everyone who lurks around in an audio forum is a "hi-fi first" person.

How many here are active members of music forums?

Does that mean we don't like music?

The vast majority of audiophiles probably likes music as much as they like sound. And some like gear just as much.

Posted (edited)
On 26/05/2019 at 10:05, Sotosound said:

For me, an upgrade is one that enhances my listening pleasure, and that also allows me to get closer to what the artists, composers, arrangers, producers and engineers intended. 

That's the fidelity that I look for these days, not total harmonic distortion or frequency range or response curve etc.

These two are a bit conflicting because if your goal is to listen to what's in the recording you will need to reproduce the signal/music with highest fidelity possible, which means lowest THD+N, IMD, flattest FR, etc.

One can even go a step further and say that "to get closer to what the artists, composers, arrangers, producers and engineers intended" you should listen to the recording through the system used to monitor the mixing and production and in the same room.

Doesn't make much sense though, for practical reasons as well as not being a guarantee of listening pleasure.

I doubt that anyone here isn't looking for listening pleasure, and I fully understand that certain perceived qualities do enhance some people's experience even though they are the result of colourations/distortion.

There's nothing wrong with that, but care should be taken because these enhancements rarely come without side effects, some of which have a significant impact on the system's ability to recreate a realistic representation of live music. How much this affects the end result is of course music genre dependent, and can more or less taxing depending on the listener's goals and expectations.

On 26/05/2019 at 10:05, Sotosound said:

I try to determine this enhancement of listening pleasure through auditions.

If I'm enjoying the music in an audition so much that I just want to listen to more music rather than continue to evaluate bass or treble etc. then I'm looking at something that's a potential upgrade.

I really learned this when I was last choosing speakers, and the first speakers that taught me this were Proac SM 100s. In the end, they sounded slightly harsh at home in my living room, but in the dealer's listening room I suddenly found myself really enjoying music rather than evaluating speakers, and I wanted to play more tracks just to enjoy what I was hearing. Hi fi in the sense of measurable attributes went straight out the window and, to a great extent, it never came back in thereafter.

This for me is one of the dangers of tasting (listening pleasure through auditions) instead of taking a more observationist thus objective approach to evaluating sound through listening.

Did you end up returning the 100s or learned to live with the harshness?

Edited by tuga
typo

10 hours ago, uzzy said:

..But faced with the choice of limited music and a great system (in the days when you had to buy all your music and it wasn't cheap) or lots of music and a mediocre system then I would take the latter.

What a great way of putting it....and is really the acid test......not that it would happen nowadays. 

I would take Sneaky DS + Arcam A39 + LS50s....Plus Tidal

over

Akurate DS + A49 + Kef Ref 3....if all I had to listen to, was 50 CDs (as I was trapped on a desert island).

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, tuga said:

How many here are active members of music forums?

I take the 'talking about music is like dancing about architecture approach', so I'm not. I'll post some album suggestions here at times, as well as posting in and getting inspiration from the 'what are you currently listening to thread', but I'm not interested in discussing music as such. I'd much rather listen to the radio to find out about new music that read about it.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

I take the 'talking about music is like dancing about architecture approach', so I'm not. I'll post some album suggestions here at times, as well as posting in and getting inspiration from the 'what are you currently listening to thread', but I'm not interested in discussing music as such. I'd much rather listen to the radio to find out about new music that read about it.

I like that approach.  :goodone:

• Upvote 1

On 26/05/2019 at 10:42, newlash09 said:

For me hifi is separate from music. I can start dancing to anything anywhere. So hifi for me has been about pride of ownership. 

We all want to do atleast one thing right in our lifetimes. Possess at least one precious thing that gives us a sense of pride and accomplishment. I don't even own a car, forget being a fancy one at that. I still borrow my wife's car when I need to. So I've put all my resources into the one thing that I can take pride in...my hifi rig. And it just adds to the sense of ownership, as I also love music.

Family life gets most of my attention (though there's room for improvement). But I also try to give my best when I cook.

For me hi-fi is a tool with a well defined purpose, like a toothbrush or a potato-peeler.

I take no pride in putting it together nor owning it. I don't turn it on when I have visitors (I hate the concept of background music) unless I wish to show/discuss a particular recording or two, and only if I think that the smartphone won't do it enough justice or be clear enough to illustrate a point...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

What a great way of putting it....and is really the acid test......not that it would happen nowadays. 

I would take Sneaky DS + Arcam A39 + LS50s....Plus Tidal

over

Akurate DS + A49 + Kef Ref 3....if all I had to listen to, was 50 CDs (as I was trapped on a desert island).

As I mentioned earlier I wouldn't lose any sleep over a cheapo all-in-one system purchased from somewhere like Argos - other suitable retailers are available - over a really expensive set-up, if I had to.

In fact I have: I get as much musical enjoyment from the Pulse as I did/do from the Tucana, despite the latter being a much better amp. 

3 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

In fact I have: I get as much musical enjoyment from the Pulse as I did/do from the Tucana, despite the latter being a much better amp. 

I don't get as much musical enjoyment from a cheaper system.....but I get enough of the "essence", that access to the likes of Tidal, would swing it for me (if that was the black and white choice).

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

As I mentioned earlier I wouldn't lose any sleep over a cheapo all-in-one system purchased from somewhere like Argos - other suitable retailers are available - over a really expensive set-up, if I had to.

It's a nice feeling to be satisfied with one's system.

I managed to live happily for almost a decade and would still own the same equipment if it weren't for a move abroad five years ago.

I think that the critical approach to sound is the most important trait of an audiophile, a constant restlessness and drive to improve reproduction and/or make listening more engaging.