plasticpenguin

Are you music or hi-fi first person?

Posted (edited)

Years ago someone asked me a similar question, whether hi-fi was more important than the music itself? I responded, "absolutely, yes, you can't fully enjoy music without a decent system." Of course, the truth was I analysed every track and that was an instantaneous reply. Now, however, I just don't analyse at all, play music and enjoy the whole. Not sure if it's age or I've got the right system for my taste... or a smidgen of both.

Music every time for me.

Edited by plasticpenguin
  • Like 1

Both.... however luv ma choons bruv yeah.:rockin:

• Like 1

A decent hifi is a tool to increase the enjoyment of music (and for me TV/movie audio). Anyone who doesn't like music in the first place would be a fool to invest significant time and money into a hifi setup. It would be like someone who doesn't enjoy driving owning a high performance car.

I do though get a different type of enjoyment/satisfaction out of the hobbiest interest in learning what makes good sound and trying to improve my system.

• Upvote 1

I go along with the concensus. Definately music, but I decent hifi system enhances the enjoyment and makes me want to listen for longer.

• Upvote 1

I will go further and categorise that into three parts. The music, great sound and the Hi Fi system   The fact is most people who like music like sound, not just sound, but great sound. Apart from the music a system that produces great sound I find captivating.   

Once you experience great sound it's hard to not listen that way. Of course this does not in anyway stop me from enjoying good music, with the absence of great sounding system.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

I enjoy listening to music and as I travel a lot with my job lots of it is via Spotify and noise cancelling headphones.  Nothing quite beats being back at home though  and then hearing the tracks I've listened to on Spotify on my system with it's ability to provide more detail, soundstaging and general atmosphere in each track.  

When I hear tracks on a friend of mines more modest system I don't get the same reaction as it doesn't provide that ' I'm at the concert/ in the recording studio feel that I've managed to find.  So fir me it's a mix of both - I can't have one without the other and best of all I've not in relative terms spent  £££ to achieve this compared to some systems on here.

IMO. HiFi is pointless, if you don't like how it sounds.....and HiFi only exists, because music exists.

Making Hifi the priority over the music, would be like owning a 100 ft yacht, while living in the middle of the Sahara. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, CnoEvil said:

IMO. HiFi is pointless, if you don't like how it sounds.....and HiFi only exists, because music exists.

Making Hifi the priority over the music, would be like owning a 100 ft yacht, while living in the middle of the Sahara. 

In which case why are you a member of a hifi forum .....just curious ? 

Music first.

The hi fi is for bringing music to me in the most enjoyable way.

If it were hi fi first then I'd probably be spending my time enjoying recorded sound effects, audio books and documentaries, and not music. For me that would be like a previous poster's Sahara Desert.

15 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

In which case why are you a member of a hifi forum .....just curious ? 

To get the knowledge, to buy the kit, which will make the music sound as good as it can, within my budget and for my taste. Also to share what knowledge I have, in case I can help others do the same.

There also happens to be a very vibrant section, listing what music other people are listening to and recommend.

• Upvote 2

Music first by a country mile. Mostly when I have been looking to ''upgrade my hi-fi'' I have found better hi-fi, and less music involvement. It becomes easier to get the hi fi attributes, but less connection. Why am I on a hi-fi forum, cos I didn't know that before I started looking, and lurking behind the wam is a still active and very friendly social side, and some stunning people. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer

After going to Munich, I would say I'm a little wiser as to where to stop spending. I appreciate there is a diminishing return, but apart from the materials and severe engineering I came away thinking that nothing REALLY stood out on a musical level, and at £500k plus systems.....to me at that point it for me really becomes opulence.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Music comes first for me but Hifi is just as imported as music as you can not enjoy music without it so i am in the both camps really but what makes us spend the money on Hifi is the love of music if that makes any sense so both come hand in hand   

Edited by Blacksabbath25

For me, an upgrade is one that enhances my listening pleasure, and that also allows me to get closer to what the artists, composers, arrangers, producers and engineers intended.

That's the fidelity that I look for these days, not total harmonic distortion or frequency range or response curve etc.

I try to determine this enhancement of listening pleasure through auditions.

If I'm enjoying the music in an audition so much that I just want to listen to more music rather than continue to evaluate bass or treble etc. then I'm looking at something that's a potential upgrade.

I really learned this when I was last choosing speakers, and the first speakers that taught me this were Proac SM 100s. In the end, they sounded slightly harsh at home in my living room, but in the dealer's listening room I suddenly found myself really enjoying music rather than evaluating speakers, and I wanted to play more tracks just to enjoy what I was hearing. Hi fi in the sense of measurable attributes went straight out the window and, to a great extent, it never came back in thereafter.