The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

timster

To change or not to change...

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, sunbeamgls said:

If your speakers need to be that close to the wall, the 140s must be a bit of a challenge, but probably solveable with SPACE.

It has been yes, with thanks to the Space Commander of course for his help. I found bunging them helped too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/06/2019 at 18:37, sunbeamgls said:

If Timster really likes Super 20s then no Linn speakers are going to suit him (including 140s, most likely!).  I would really like him to hear my Exakted PMCs but I'm in a foreign country that's too far away ;) Not because I think they're necessarily the right answer for him, but just to open up further options and experience on what's possible. They have a very different mix of capabilities compared to Super 20, Akubarik and T-606.

BTW Timster. Don't worry about driver count, just amp cost/count and the resulting sound per pound of the complete combination. You wouldn't believe the multiples of cost a single Super 20 tweeter is compared to a 2K array.

You're almost neighbours for Aunty Mays sake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

Having recently invested in some Super 20s, I can heartily endorse them. I cannot compare directly with Linn 140s but in the past these did not seem a justifiable improvement over my Keilidhs. This is certainly not true of the Kudos speakers which are a substantial (if costly) step up.

Apart from their sonic properties they have received 100% enthusiasm from my interior designer. They really look elegant in our medium size room. The finish is superb. I can understand the criticism that they verge on overbrightness. Not a problem for me as my high frequency hearing is commensurate with my age. I could have been tempted with the Kudos 505s but apart from the increased cost, their physical presence would have dominated the room.

The appalling weather of late has been a good excuse to work through some well known tracks. I am not able to describe adequately what I hear now, except that the separation of different strands within the music is outstanding.

I have no experience of Majik level amplification so cannot comment on how the Super 20s would be with this.

Best of luck 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @DJK

If (hopefully when) I go for it, I will get an A4200, if not at the same time then as soon as. @sunbeamglsmentioned he has designed exakt filters for them because of the high-end brightness - something I may look into if it is an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DJK said:

Hi

Having recently invested in some Super 20s, I can heartily endorse them. I cannot compare directly with Linn 140s but in the past these did not seem a justifiable improvement over my Keilidhs. This is certainly not true of the Kudos speakers which are a substantial (if costly) step up.

Apart from their sonic properties they have received 100% enthusiasm from my interior designer. They really look elegant in our medium size room. The finish is superb. I can understand the criticism that they verge on overbrightness. Not a problem for me as my high frequency hearing is commensurate with my age. I could have been tempted with the Kudos 505s but apart from the increased cost, their physical presence would have dominated the room.

The appalling weather of late has been a good excuse to work through some well known tracks. I am not able to describe adequately what I hear now, except that the separation of different strands within the music is outstanding.

I have no experience of Majik level amplification so cannot comment on how the Super 20s would be with this.

Best of luck 

I've had my Super 20s for about 18 months and agree with everything you have said - I love them :x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/06/2019 at 09:28, timster said:

 @sunbeamglsmentioned he has designed exakt filters for them because of the high-end brightness - something I may look into if it is an issue.

I tried the adjustments described under the heading "Space" in this article ... https://audiophilemusings.blogspot.com/2017/03/linn-exakt-and-kudos-super-20-world.html

I liked the result and will try Sunbeam's updated filters ... For me, reducing the treble volume was an improvement from increasing the bass volume that I had tried earlier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zee9 said:

Just saw this on lejonklou.

66192904fdb1218c133eb232d2dc71e6.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ta zee. It's a good price, if they're still there when I can finance it.... but that's a while away now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
2 hours ago, FearOfMusic said:

I tried the adjustments described under the heading "Space" in this article ... https://audiophilemusings.blogspot.com/2017/03/linn-exakt-and-kudos-super-20-world.html

I liked the result and will try Sunbeam's updated filters ... For me, reducing the treble volume was an improvement from increasing the bass volume that I had tried earlier.

PM me with your Google user name when you're ready FoM  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.