timster

To change or not to change...

9 minutes ago, timster said:

More factors to throw in the mix... 

But.. having multiple drivers have advantages too; their behavior will be more predictable and controlable outside the crossover regions. Linn didn't start with the 6-way Komris without having good reasons to do so.

It still remains a juggling act.

The good thing is that we only have to judge the net result; do we like the sound?

So, if you enjoyed passive Super A20s, you will love them powered active and with Exakt digital crossovers. 

Super Wammer

Well, I've had Klimax passive driven Super 20s and Akurate Exakt driven Super 20A in my room. The Exakt driven version are astonishingly better.

Also Titan 606 comparison between analogue and Exakt. All Klimax. Again, Exakt was far superior. Titan 808 also benefits from Exaktification.

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.com/2017/03/linn-exakt-and-kudos-super-20-world.html?m=1

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.com/2019/05/4-lots-of-kudos-in-one-night-passive.html?m=1

1 hour ago, Tin said:

So, if you enjoyed passive Super A20s, you will love them powered active and with Exakt digital crossovers. 

I heard them Exakt, with an Akurate front end (although not Kat).

@sunbeamglsthe Titans are beyond my reach. Sorry I missed the opportunity to here the 606s when you had them though. And they are too big. And to my eye, a lil ugly.

Timster, in your situation I would go for ex-dem Akudoriks and then (later) replace the 6100/2100 with 2 x 4200.

• Like 1

Yes absolutely, but he could also get ex-dem Exakt or Katalyst Akudoriks which have the built in amps, and sell off his 140's, Exaktbox and Majik amps. :)

Thanks, but I didn't like the 'bariks when I heard them, so can safely say I probably wouldn't like the 'dorics either - and I'm a floorstander man anyway :)

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

Yes absolutely, but he could also get ex-dem Exakt or Katalyst Akudoriks which have the built in amps, and sell off his 140's, Exaktbox and Majik amps. :)

If Timster really likes Super 20s then no Linn speakers are going to suit him (including 140s, most likely!).  I would really like him to hear my Exakted PMCs but I'm in a foreign country that's too far away ;) Not because I think they're necessarily the right answer for him, but just to open up further options and experience on what's possible. They have a very different mix of capabilities compared to Super 20, Akubarik and T-606.

BTW Timster. Don't worry about driver count, just amp cost/count and the resulting sound per pound of the complete combination. You wouldn't believe the multiples of cost a single Super 20 tweeter is compared to a 2K array.

Edited by sunbeamgls
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

If Timster really likes Super 20s then no Linn speakers are going to suit him (including 140s, most likely!).  I would really like him to hear my Exakted PMCs but I'm in a foreign country that's too far away ;) Not because I think they're necessarily the right answer for him, but just to open up further options and experience on what's possible. They have a very different mix of capabilities compared to Super 20, Akubarik and T-606.

BTW Timster. Don't worry about driver count, just amp cost/count and the resulting sound per pound of the complete combination. You wouldn't believe the multiples of cost a single Super 20 tweeter is compared to a 2K array.

I know my preference would be your Exakted  PMC’s

Although, I really liked the Kudos 808’s   

Timster lives near Bath, so not actually that far away.

Having met you many times and spent time with Timster, it would be a fascinating visit for you and Timster, and could easily be done in a day

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

Timster lives near Bath, so not actually that far away.

Having met you many times and spent time with Timster, it would be a fascinating visit for you and Timster, and could easily be done in a day

You missed the winky Paul?

13 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

That's what's slightly confusing me after being away for a while. I love the sound my system makes for sure, but after the Super20s I heard last year, that was my conclusion...perhaps the 140s weren't quite "it". Then I was away, came back, and I wonder the other way!

I'm afraid the PMCs wouldn't fit in my space. And they aren't as pretty as the Kudos (imo of course).

One would think the more drivers the better - at least the uninformed would (ie. me!). Of course, 4 amps vs 8 amps is a major boost to the bank balance.

It's just a question of when really.

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, timster said:

That's what's slightly confusing me after being away for a while. I love the sound my system makes for sure, but after the Super20s I heard last year, that was my conclusion...perhaps the 140s weren't quite "it". Then I was away, came back, and I wonder the other way!

I'm afraid the PMCs wouldn't fit in my space. And they aren't as pretty as the Kudos (imo of course).

One would think the more drivers the better - at least the uninformed would (ie. me!). Of course, 4 amps vs 8 amps is a major boost to the bank balance.

It's just a question of when really.

The PMC's front panel sit within 15mm or so of where the Super 20s sit and they'r pretty much the same width or possibly slightly narrower, so they don't really take up any more space.  The looks, of course, are entirely to taste.  I think mine look awful with the grilles off but fine with them on.  The Super 20s do have a very fine finish on the veneers and are nicely compact.

4 amp channels rather than 8 also open up so many more power amp possibilities as the compactness of multi-channel Linn amps cease to be a significant benefit.

If you've been away from your system for a while its going to sound great as it will be much better than anything you've heard for a while  :)  It's all relative and those of us on here, regardless of the system, are listening to stuff way beyond what most people have in their lives.

Edited by sunbeamgls

8 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

It's all relative and those of us on here, regardless of the system, are listening to stuff way beyond what most people have in their lives.

Couldn't agree more! When I heard the B&W 800s I was with someone else. He was more impressed than I - but then he hasn't heard mine :)

Aren't the PMCs also angled? So the depth is actually too much I think. My compact space means to fit in the space, the back would either be touching to wall or would even mean the front would be dangling off a ledge!

Super Wammer
Just now, timster said:

Aren't the PMCs also angled? So the depth is actually too much I think. My compact space means to fit in the space, the back would either be touching to wall or would even mean the front would be dangling off a ledge!

They're only leaning back when you've had too much wine.

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

If your speakers need to be that close to the wall, the 140s must be a bit of a challenge, but probably solveable with SPACE.

Front or downward firing ports are going to make life easier.

Edited by sunbeamgls
  • Like 1