Paul T

Chord M Scaler and Qutest DAC.

Has anyone tried the Chord M Scaler together with the Qutest DAC? If so what are your impressions and is it worth forking out the hefty £3.5K? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance, Paul

@Paul T a couple of guys in this thread use them together...

I’m sure @ziggy & @JezR will give you some info.

Posted (edited)

My thoughts are on page six of the thread. It is a lot of money and you really need to take one home on loan and see how it works in your system. What it does might not hit you immediately, but I found I could not be without it.  I have become aware of the limitations of standard 16 Bit 44 kHv.

It does benefit from better BNC cables than the ones supplied but there is no need to pay silly money.Also, I found that the addition of ferrite rings for £10 on eBay smoothed out the treble a lot, enabling me to use the green filter instead of the orange one on the Qutest.

Edited by ziggy

Thanks for the link. I really need Try one at home for a few weeks.

Paul

Super Wammer

Paul, if you can get one to borrow it will probably take you about an hour to decide! Perhaps even less. 

Do I take it from your avatar that you are in wales? If so I cannot help but if you are a migrant welsh person living near Melton Mowbray then you are welcome to try mine. 

I do indeed live in North Wales, but thanks for the offer. At some time in the near future I intend to find a dealer that's prepared to let me have a home dem. Thanks anyway.

Out of interest, how are you feeding the M Scaler and Which different options have you experimented with ? I have a Synology NAS with CD's ripped as FLAC but in future may look at options from Melco and Innuos or others connected using USB or optical. I know this is straying  slightly from my original question but I'd still be interested to hear opinions  and experiences from people with far greater understanding than myself. Many thanks Paul.

i stream Qobuz and ripped FLAC CDs through a Sonore microRendu streamer via the BubbleUp app.

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

This review has just been published with comparisons of adding the Mscaler to various DACs including the Qutest.

I like it where he says that adding the Mscaler to the Dave is "like activating God mode"!

www.audiobacon.net/2019/05/31/chord-electronics-hugo-m-scaler-review-digital-disruption/

Edited by Fourlegs
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hi Fourlegs, thanks for the link. .

Edited by Paul T

Very informative, especially regarding the connections, it explained why I was only getting one upscale option via optical when I plugged my Mojo in.

Would anyone know if I can run an M Scaler in my system as follows: I have a CD player with a separate usb input to access the DAC for a streamer or Pc .  Can I take a digital out from the CD player to the m-scale,  and then output from the m-scaler back into the usb input into the dac in the CD player?

One way to find out if your CD player acts as transport and DAC at the same time would be to get/borrow a SPIDF to USB converter, plug that in to see if you get a loop through, that's the only thing I can think of, if it works I'm sure you'd get a result with the M-Scaler.

7 hours ago, JezR said:

One way to find out if your CD player acts as transport and DAC at the same time would be to get/borrow a SPIDF to USB converter, plug that in to see if you get a loop through, that's the only thing I can think of, if it works I'm sure you'd get a result with the M-Scaler.

Good idea. Thanks. 

Good morning. Just something for you to consider. What sampling rates can the dac in your CD player process? I know that the reviewer heard some improvement with the M Scaler even in pass through mode but, if your CD player can only handle 44.1 sampling rate, then it is an expensive way to get the improvements he describes.