Turk 182

cd transport or dac ?

after typing into google "cd transport" an interesting article from sound on sound magazine appeared titled :-

"how much impact can a cd transport have on sound quality ?".

interesting to read what a pro audio magazine thinks - what are your views ?

Having compared a few all into the same DAC, there is a difference. For example my Panasonic UB700 4K Bluray player sounded pretty naf compared to my Marantz CD player when all fed into the same DAC.

I do still use a Bluray player for CD's as I hardly use them, but for SQ, a CD Player/Transport sounded better. Whether there are differences between 'transports' alone, I don't know.

But hey its Hifi in 2019, All DACS, CD players, transports, turntables, tone arms, cable, sounds the same to the oldies! It wont be long till someone say all music sounds the same :) 

• Like 2

Thanks for the link to that article, an interesting read.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, notevenclose said:

Probably different from theirs.

care to elaborate ?

(i'm finding pro audio advice interesting reading).

Edited by Turk 182

A transport is like the foundation, upon which the wall (DAC) is built.

Approx 4 years ago I demo'ed 3 different price point cd transports £900, £2000, and £3300. There was definitely and improvement going from 900 to 2000 but not so much moving up to 3300.

19 minutes ago, antonio66 said:

Approx 4 years ago I demo'ed 3 different price point cd transports £900, £2000, and £3300. There was definitely and improvement going from 900 to 2000 but not so much moving up to 3300.

Out of interest, what transports were they? 

12 minutes ago, antonio66 said:

Always drawn to the Meridian 500 Transport as when I was in full swing of box swapping, this was the most rewarding sub 3k.. I too agree, transports over 3k are less likely to give a big sonic gain whereas DACs are more likely to have a greater sonic advantage over that amount

4 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Always drawn to the Meridian 500 Transport as when I was in full swing of box swapping, this was the most rewarding sub 3k.. I too agree, transports over 3k are less likely to give a big sonic gain whereas DACs are more likely to have a greater sonic advantage over that amount

The Meridian 500 is great but i’m not sure you can still get replacement transport mechanisms.

6 minutes ago, ian917 said:

The Meridian 500 is great but i’m not sure you can still get replacement transport mechanisms.

Hi Ian 

yes, your right.. keep seeing the players pop up now and again at around £350+ does tempt me sometimes but I am also playing the streamer most of the time on digital as well as the vinyl.. probably put a disc in the VRDS once in the last two months!

44 minutes ago, antonio66 said:

hi

can you remember the makes / models ?