Tune

JBL K2 9800

Super Dealer

I'm probably around 14ft away and they work very, very well!

• Like 1

I had arranged to go and audition these, but David nipped in and 'stole' them  :D

1 hour ago, joolz said:

I had arranged to go and audition these, but David nipped in and 'stole' them  :D

He who hesitates is lost.

Did the same with a pair of Sonus Faber Strads, missed them by 1 hour.

Super Dealer

Yep, the early bird etc......they'd been around a while I understand

4 minutes ago, Juancho said:

Yep, the early bird etc......they'd been around a while I understand

So what do you think David?

Only ever heard one pair, and then all too briefly.

Super Dealer
51 minutes ago, rabski said:

So what do you think David?

Only ever heard one pair, and then all too briefly.

Firstly, my family listening room is difficult acoustically with one wall of glass, wooden floor and very few speakers work well in it. Believe me I've tried! The Tannoy Canterburys worked well enough but on the one hand were a bit too physically imposing and liked to be a bit too far out in the room to max their imaging. Also, they restricted me to amps with the requisite amount of damping /feedback to get decent bass performance. 

So, the JBLs were a bit of a punt in that they had to work work well in this difficult environment and be much more amp flexible. They work well close to the rear well and are narrower but taller, with the mid tweeter (and bass driver) higher up so that solved two problems: intrusion into room and the fact that the Tannoy mid /tweeter was too low vis a vis ear height. Overall the sound is stunning and everything Tune has described previously. They produce more and better bass in my room than the Tannoys and the mids /highs have near electrostatic performance. Also, they work very well with my Mastersound 845s, which was another objective, producing more bass with the Mastersounds than the Leben could . In brief, I'm a very happy bunny and they won't be going anywhere fast for a long long time. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Juancho said:

Firstly, my family listening room is difficult acoustically with one wall of glass, wooden floor and very few speakers work well in it. Believe me I've tried! The Tannoy Canterburys worked well enough but on the one hand were a bit too physically imposing and liked to be a bit too far out in the room to max their imaging. Also, they restricted me to amps with the requisite amount of damping /feedback to get decent bass performance. 

So, the JBLs were a bit of a punt in that they had to work work well in this difficult environment and be much more amp flexible. They work well close to the rear well and are narrower but taller, with the mid tweeter (and bass driver) higher up so that solved two problems: intrusion into room and the fact that the Tannoy mid /tweeter was too low vis a vis ear height. Overall the sound is stunning and everything Tune has described previously. They produce more and better bass in my room than the Tannoys and the mids /highs have near electrostatic performance. Also, they work very well with my Mastersound 845s, which was another objective, producing more bass with the Mastersounds than the Leben could . In brief, I'm a very happy bunny and they won't be going anywhere fast for a long long time. 

I am hoping my amp throws a bit of a wobbly pretty soon so I have an excuse to get up there and hear these! Lovely, been on my must listen list for ages 👍🏻

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Excellent. Especially the words "the mids /highs have near electrostatic performance".

I totally understand that. I lived with ESL57s for longer than many, and I still sometimes miss their uncanny ability with vocals. I just in the end could not live with their limitations, most of all the lack of dynamic range.

Super Dealer
10 minutes ago, rabski said:

Excellent. Especially the words "the mids /highs have near electrostatic performance".

I totally understand that. I lived with ESL57s for longer than many, and I still sometimes miss their uncanny ability with vocals. I just in the end could not live with their limitations, most of all the lack of dynamic range.

These would probably float your boat then. They do dynamics  big time as you might expect from JBL, and can go very loud. But they also have that rare ability to sound completely balanced and coherent with the wick turned down late at night, which is very useful

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Juancho said:

These would probably float your boat then. They do dynamics  big time as you might expect from JBL, and can go very loud. But they also have that rare ability to sound completely balanced and coherent with the wick turned down late at night, which is very useful

Much as I enjoy the occasional excursions into the painful end of SPLs, retaining a proper sense of dynamics at the other end of the scale is seriously important here. It's a major part of the decision to stay with Living Voice for way longer than I've kept any other speakers, because with big SETs they manage an expansive soundstage and good dynamics at relatively low volume.

One day... For the near future, I am exercising some restraint and have promised myself not to look at any purchases until I've made the pile of ongoing projects a little smaller.

Super Dealer
6 minutes ago, rabski said:

Much as I enjoy the occasional excursions into the painful end of SPLs, retaining a proper sense of dynamics at the other end of the scale is seriously important here. It's a major part of the decision to stay with Living Voice for way longer than I've kept any other speakers, because with big SETs they manage an expansive soundstage and good dynamics at relatively low volume.

One day... For the near future, I am exercising some restraint and have promised myself not to look at any purchases until I've made the pile of ongoing projects a little smaller.

There other great trait is making everything-even lower bitrate digital-sound really musical, rather than sterile or uninvolving. Can't find a downside really for my use /room:D

8 hours ago, joolz said:

I went to see and hear these in early September when they were just listed. Julian, you had almost 5 months to do audition! When eventually decided to get K2s, found David's Canterburys listed so I bought them instead. Turns out David bought K2s day before. Win win situation.

tannoy.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tnorvaisas said:

I went to see and hear these in early September when they were just listed. Julian, you had almost 5 months to do audition! When eventually decided to get K2s, found David's Canterburys listed so I bought them instead. Turns out David bought K2s day before. Win win situation.

tannoy.jpg

Hello Taut,

Hope you are well.

I hadn't seen them before as wasn't looking specifically for them. but it's all good.

Glad you've ended up with David's Tannoys - how would you compare them to the ones you had previously ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joolz said:

Hello Taut,

Hope you are well.

I hadn't seen them before as wasn't looking specifically for them. but it's all good.

Glad you've ended up with David's Tannoys - how would you compare them to the ones you had previously ?

As I always wanted to try 15 inch Tannoys it was a good chance to do so I guess. Still in process finding optimal position in the room and amplification to drive them. First impression is that they sound bigger, more effortless and slightly darker than Kensingtons. So far so good, eventhough I have a feeling that bigger room would allow to get even better sound from them. 

Edited by tnorvaisas
  • Like 1