Tune

JBL K2 9800

Posted (edited)

They don't really Lindsay. Positioning a loudspeaker should be about how the F3 interacts with room modes and placing the speaker where bass modes are at their most even. That position doesn't really change IME. :) Visually sure - but positioning? No.

fullsizeoutput_2b45.jpeg

Edited by Tune

28 minutes ago, Tune said:

They don't really Lindsay. Positioning a loudspeaker should be about how the F3 interacts with room modes and placing the speaker where bass modes are at their most even. That position doesn't really change IME. :) Visually sure - but positioning? No. 

Different speakers will trigger different modes if placed in the same position and floor-bounce will most likely act differently too. Even a change in stand height will affect the response below 300Hz.

You can visualise these effect by playing with this simulator: https://www.hunecke.de/en/calculators/loudspeakers.html

1 hour ago, lindsayt said:

It's a shame they don't work well in your room with their backs closer to the wall, so that you could say "They don't even take up more real world floor-space than a pair of tiny ported standmounts."

Someone said that about the Snells that I bought - I laugh about that now :nup: :D

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, tuga said:

Different speakers will trigger different modes if placed in the same position and floor-bounce will most likely act differently too. Even a change in stand height will affect the response below 300Hz.

You can visualise these effect by playing with this simulator: https://www.hunecke.de/en/calculators/loudspeakers.html

Not really IME Tuga. I know the theory - I used to work with Peter Lyngdorf in the early days of TACT. In practice, again IME, it comes down to F3, position and of course design of box (ported or not). Again, just my own experience although I have entered that stage in life where I just listen for music and tone :) The vertical mode, in almost all situations, has been irrelevant to overall performance - again IME only.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that it doesn't worry me to the degree that it once did and I hear more music without worrying to that degree.

Edited by Tune
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1