Tune

JBL K2 9800

I plan on being cremated in these.

I have owned the top models from ATC, Proac, Merlin, Dynaudio, TAD, Martin Logan and Revel over the years, along with building my own TAD/JBL horn loaded hybrid.

Nothing came remotely close to these at any level. From 40db to 100db.

I am no longer working due to illness and face a decade or more before I get a pension. Whatever happens, these are going nowhere. They must rank up there with the finest loudspeakers ever designed - the final work of the legendary Greg Timbers prior to his retirement.

There really is nothing more to add. They play music. Any genre at any level without the need for a hot spot. So much more influential than any other item I have owned, and I have owned a hell of a lot in the last 20 years or so.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Photos please

3 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Photos please

+1 :)

Changed a little. No TT anymore as all ripped to DSD. 

The one thing I would say, having been lucky enough to travel a lot, is, if you are looking for a speaker that delivers real scale at all levels (and I mean really quiet too), then look to the Japanese market rather than the US - in terms of where the product is aimed. Japanese listening rooms are more akin to ours in terms of small ish size so the F3 point means that they work well in a normal UK living room without worrying about bass resonances.

I went to Japan with Markus, an old member, Stereophile reviewer, and now sadly no longer with us. It was a forum trip to visit other members and to experience another audio culture. Revelatory and all of the guys stated that the K2 was in the top 5 loudspeakers they had heard. Tokyo is great. Even the whisky bars often have big JBL 4*** series monitors playing old Blue Note. Recommended hugely.

These will not be sold. I will keep these as long as I am on the planet and breathing.

fullsizeoutput_2bc6.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I envy the large bong in the corner, as well as the speakers.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It's not that big Tuga. About 20ft x 12ft in memory serves me right. I know about small rooms though. It's always the shortest dimension that causes the issues. With an F3 point of 45hz where the first real mode kicks in they suit the room perfectly.

• Upvote 1

On 27/05/2019 at 22:35, Tune said:

Changed a little. No TT anymore as all ripped to DSD. 

The one thing I would say, having been lucky enough to travel a lot, is, if you are looking for a speaker that delivers real scale at all levels (and I mean really quiet too), then look to the Japanese market rather than the US - in terms of where the product is aimed. Japanese listening rooms are more akin to ours in terms of small ish size so the F3 point means that they work well in a normal UK living room without worrying about bass resonances.

I went to Japan with Markus, an old member, Stereophile reviewer, and now sadly no longer with us. It was a forum trip to visit other members and to experience another audio culture. Revelatory and all of the guys stated that the K2 was in the top 5 loudspeakers they had heard. Tokyo is great. Even the whisky bars often have big JBL 4*** series monitors playing old Blue Note. Recommended hugely.

These will not be sold. I will keep these as long as I am on the planet and breathing.

fullsizeoutput_2bc6.jpeg

Wow...they indeed look lovely and monosterous. And very modern looking too, in a good kinda way I must add. Happy listening sir...:)

• Like 1

On 27/05/2019 at 23:46, tuga said:

I envy the size of your listening room. :$

I can hardly get 6 feet between my speakers...

I can, but the mortuary gets really cross.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Funny you should say that. I actually intended being cremated in the one but realised I would not fit so it will be both. I think I'll save the Be drivers from the temperatures.

Difficult to describe, I actually mailed Greg to say thank you and he mailed right back despite being a retired family man. He's a lovely guy. For him, being the chief engineer at JBL for decades was more than just a job. He was driven by a desire to get the joy of live music to people across the world. Not about profit or limited by components, margines or price points.

I knew Stewart at Proac far better and he was far more of a businessman. A good ear no doubt, but give me the Gerbils anyday.

Edited by Tune
  • Upvote 1

I've gotta hear some of these.  There's a dealer selling them new, but certainly not cheap.

I noted from a review they said "Most speakers change their sonic character noticeably as volume levels change, but not these. The K2s retain most of their sparkle even at a whisper, and from there continue with an unchanging balance as the watts mount."

This to me has been the acid test of any loudspeaker I have ever bought .. my Art Impressions are the same in that respect and it is something I always harp on about in here, namely, there are loudspeakers that sound great at lower listening levels but lose it when the wick gets turned up.  As such I wish all manufacturers would post graphs of performance at all volume levels (rather than the usual one or two watts at one meter). 

I have always had a soft spot for JBL loudspeakers over the years and long may you enjoy yours 

Thanks Uzzy. 

Yes it's a special quality. I listen at whisper quiet levels late at night and somehow they sound completely tonally correct and I get all of the harmonious content of, for instance, good Blue Note jazz. At the other end, they can belt out Deep Purple or Electronica at levels where you can feel the air moving around you. I used to play with a Vu meter. I have no idea how they do it as the human ear changes so much over that range but these are the only speakers I recall owning that really do pull that trick off.

Sadly all of the new JBL's are built (including the pro drive units) in a Harman factory in Mexico. Greg Timbers, whose final design these were, has retired (he was marched out of the building believe it or not)  but we keep in touch. He is true old school and a real gentleman.

Big vintage JBL's work in UK living rooms. Most were designed with the Japanese market in mind and those rooms are small. More modern American designs, like the larger Revels and Wilsons, were designed around US living rooms so almost always suffer bass issues in typical UK listening rooms. I had 4338's at one point before these. They were aimed at Japan too and worked well. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tune said:

Thanks Uzzy. 

Yes it's a special quality. I listen at whisper quiet levels late at night and somehow they sound completely tonally correct and I get all of the harmonious content of, for instance, good Blue Note jazz. At the other end, they can belt out Deep Purple or Electronica at levels where you can feel the air moving around you. I used to play with a Vu meter. I have no idea how they do it as the human ear changes so much over that range but these are the only speakers I recall owning that really do pull that trick off.

Sadly all of the new JBL's are built (including the pro drive units) in a Harman factory in Mexico. Greg Timbers, whose final design these were, has retired (he was marched out of the building believe it or not)  but we keep in touch. He is true old school and a real gentleman.

Big vintage JBL's work in UK living rooms. Most were designed with the Japanese market in mind and those rooms are small. More modern American designs, like the larger Revels and Wilsons, were designed around US living rooms so almost always suffer bass issues in typical UK listening rooms. I had 4338's at one point before these. They were aimed at Japan too and worked well. 

Hello sir...the only big JBL's I can lay my hands on in India is their studio590. Rest are all sadly just their Bluetooth boomboxes. Was just wondering if you happened to chance hearing the studio 590 at some point. Will be very helpful for me to know.  Thanks for your time.