MartinC

Subwoofer Integration with a miniDSP 2x4 HD

58 minutes ago, MartinC said:

The miniDSP is crucially applying crossovers to both the mains (high-pass) and sub (low-pass) at 120 Hz. Since there is now essentially no output from the main speakers at 36 Hz  and 48 Hz they do not excite the room modes at these frequencies, and the sub has EQ applied to stop similar peaks being present in its output. If I didn't apply a crossover like this then I would still have significant low frequency peaks generated by the main speakers showing in the overall response.

Ah sorry - I misread you post and had thought you weren’t eq’ing the main speakers. Still an impressively flat in room response.

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I thought so. That would obviously prevent the main speaker peaks being a problem and I could do the same, although I do think there are reasons that the crossover approach is better. 

Either way though we're talking about some way of reducing the output from the main speakers at the frequencies of room modes, whereas what I believe @rdale has in mind is applying no adjustment at all to the signal sent to the mains speakers, just the sub(s). The idea instead would be to rely on cancellation between the sub and main speaker signals to achieve a flatter response, which is possible but more complicated, and runs into issues where bass frequency content in music is not panned dead-centre (which is isn't universally).

I agree - using a crossover is a cleaner solution and gives you more control over the end result. If you are using a miniDSP, using the crossover capability is a no- brainer. However, it is surprising how much you can achieve with just the room correction tools.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, rdale said:

Ah sorry - I misread you post and had thought you weren’t eq’ing the main speakers. Still an impressively flat in room response.

I am not applying parametric EQ to the main speakers, just a high-pass cross-over filter.

Edit: and time delays for integration with the sub.

Edited by MartinC

On 23/05/2019 at 12:44, rdale said:

Everything I've read says the effect is improved with at least two subwoofers too.

Multiple subs will have an effect on both room modes as nulls, making them more manageable.

If you have a suspended floor, I would recommend placing the subs on something like Auralex Subdudes as well. Every 'passive' improvement you can make to your room means the DSP can achieve even better results.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Tin said:

Multiple subs will have an effect on both room modes as nulls, making them more manageable.

This is just a terminology thing, but room modes are frequencies at which standing wave patterns are set up, which have both peaks and nulls at different locations. As opposed to a mode referring specifically to a peak. You're absolutely right that multiple subs can help even out the amplitude response though.

Edited by MartinC

14 minutes ago, MartinC said:

This is just a terminology thing, but room modes are frequencies at which standing wave patterns are set up, which have both peaks and troughs (~nulls) at different locations. As opposed to a mode referring specifically to a peak. You're absolutely right that multiple subs can help even out the amplitude response though.

I know, but as most people don't realise that nulls are part of the room modes, I guess its because they've never heard them, I chose to make the distinction.

Your explanation is obviously correct, but mine was meant to be readable.