jon

Castle Richmond speakers - problems with bass driver

I bought a pair of the original Castle Richmond speakers from eBay. They sound really good, except one of their bass drivers makes an odd vibrating/rubbing noise when there's a deep/loud sound played :( Any suggestions on how to diagnose/fix this would be great - does it sound like this is the magnet rubbing?

I can't see any visually obvious problems. I know I could return them via eBay, but I won't - I bought them from a charity, and it's a hard fault to spot TBF (I'd played a good few tracks before Massive Attack's Angel made it obvious...) So ideas to fix would be great :)

Super Wammer
  1. You could try removing the driver and fitting it upside down so what was the top is now the bottom that may cure cone sag.
  2. gently press the cone in and out and see if you can feel any rubbing.
  3. also visually check the corrugated part of cone near the magnet to see that is not become detached from the frame of the speaker.

Castle is now owned by IAG (Huntingdon) so you could see if spares are still available.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

I had this issue with Castle drivers in a pair of Chesters...alas it's normally an indication of the death of the driver.  Not sure if the drivers in Stirlings are the same as in Richmonds.....if they are I have a couple of spare drivers.

Edited by MF 1000

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Radioham said:
  1. You could try removing the driver and fitting it upside down so what was the top is now the bottom that may cure cone sag.

A good suggestion but I'd try simply turning the speaker upside down to see whether this resolves the issue first. If it does then the driver can be removed and turned the other way up for a longer term solution. 

Edited by MartinC
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
7 hours ago, jon said:

I bought a pair of the original Castle Richmond speakers from eBay. They sound really good, except one of their bass drivers makes an odd vibrating/rubbing noise when there's a deep/loud sound played :( Any suggestions on how to diagnose/fix this would be great - does it sound like this is the magnet rubbing?

I can't see any visually obvious problems. I know I could return them via eBay, but I won't - I bought them from a charity, and it's a hard fault to spot TBF (I'd played a good few tracks before Massive Attack's Angel made it obvious...) So ideas to fix would be great :)

Unfortunately from my experience there is a good chance they have been driven too hard and the voice coil is rubbing but I have occasionally (once) been able to realign cones which were rubbing. Good luck and will be interested to see how you get on.

• Upvote 1

Happened to me once, someone advised me to push it in and out a bit, carefully with two fingers to keep aligned, which rubbed off the expanded varnish which was probably causing the distortion. It worked!

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

As a starting point, try removing the driver, rotating it through 180 degrees and screwing it back in. Sometimes cones can ‘sag’ as they age and this stops them rubbing for a few more years!

Sorry for the repetition - my stupid iDevice didn’t show me that there were already replies until I replied!

I've turned the speaker upside down, and it has either stopped the rubbing or made it almost inaudible (with v loud/deep bass it's hard to be sure if there's a slight run or something is resonating). They sound good, so I figure I may as well just run them with both upside down for now - sounds sensible?

Thanks for the help! Speakers are sounding nice - St Vincent MassEducation is sounding lovely...

Definitely sounds like the coil is miss-aligned in the gap, maybe sagging or coil is slightly out of shape.

For a long term solution, try this. With the speaker on it's back, remove the bass driver so that it is sitting on the front baffle in free space. Play some very low frequency tones, 10-20hz, use a signal generator(or app on a phone) through your amp in the usual way, careful with the volume but it should be easy to hear the rubbing.

Then, carefully press down on the frame of the driver, use two hands, one either side in the 12-6 o'clock positions, then try 3-9 o'clock etc, etc. Some positions will make the noise better, others worse, try all positions until you find the one that removes the noise. This is actually easier to do than it sounds.

Mark the positions, then replace the driver but with small spacers under the frame at the points 90 degrees from the marks, then bolt down the drivers nice and tight. This should distort the frame slightly in the same way as you did when pressing with your hands usually with the same results, ie no rubbing. Be aware, some frames are more flexible than others, so start quite gently.

I have fixed speakers with this fault many, many times over the years. If the rubbing is not too severe it works virtually every time.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, jon said:

Thanks! Seem to be way working ok now - tempted to just leave until any more problems crop up, unless this is a bad idea?

If you're happy with the look and the sound then I can't see any issue with then being upside down. Are the tweeters at ear height? 

Terrible idea. All the music will fall out of the bottom :cool:

Seriously, as above. If the tweeters are still around ear height, there's no issue at all.

Ha! Whether the tweeters are at ear height depends on whether I'm doing squats or pull ups...

This is the speakers in their current habitat. Not exactly ideal acoustics, but they're sounding pretty nice. Arguably the speakers are too good for a garage system but the last owner was definitely a smoker - and the smell hadn't shifted...

IMG_20190530_213249.jpg