Cas

Turntable Change ?

Recommended Posts

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Starting thinking today about maybe buying a new turntable, had the latest one for a while now and worn out one motor, now on its second.
Existing turntable is a Project 2 Xperience with a 9c arm and an Ortofon 2M Blue.

I would like recommendations upto £1000.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Cas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I quite like the look of the Clearaudio concept but is just north of £1k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Contact Non-Smoking Man (Jack) he is thinking about selling his Cranfield Rock. 

The Cranfield is a very different class of animal to the usual Townshend Rock/Elite 2 you normally see on fleabay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all.

Jack, Chris is a great guy, he bought a Teac Reel to Reel from me a few years ago and it was a pleasure to do business with him.

Chris, Jack is a great guy, trustworthy and very knowledgeable, we spent Sunday evening watching the US PGA golf championship at my place and it was very enjoyable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

I believe that Pro-ject are revising their rather elegant Classic model, so if you fancy brand new this might be worth looking out for.  It will probably have a 2M Red as standard, so your superior Blue stylus would swap straight over.  

Otherwise, the usual suspects from Rega and Michell can sound very good, unless you fancy a different classic in the guise of a Technics SL-1200GR.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

With a £1k max ceiling, your existing tt is tough to beat, if you are planning on buying new. After all, the new price of your tt is also £1k.

I highly doubt there is much at £1k that will be a big step up from what you have. Different yes, but definitively better, maybe not.

Id be tempted to get it serviced/ repaired ( going through 2 motor assemblies is a tad unusual I think?) & maybe look at a different cart, MC maybe &/or a better phono stage. What are you presently using?

If you’re open to 2nd hand stuff, then the options widen considerably, as long as you know what to look for with pre owned tt’s.

Edited by manicatel
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
22 hours ago, manicatel said:

With a £1k max ceiling, your existing tt is tough to beat, if you are planning on buying new. After all, the new price of your tt is also £1k.

I highly doubt there is much at £1k that will be a big step up from what you have. Different yes, but definitively better, maybe not.

Id be tempted to get it serviced/ repaired ( going through 2 motor assemblies is a tad unusual I think?) & maybe look at a different cart, MC maybe &/or a better phono stage. What are you presently using?

If you’re open to 2nd hand stuff, then the options widen considerably, as long as you know what to look for with pre owned tt’s.

Phono stage at present is an Arkless 640P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Thanks for the replies so far everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Whilst I suggested earlier that you think about the Cranfield Rock that NSM may be selling. This like many decks 'better' than your current one would also  tend to come without an arm at your budget, though you might be able to squeeze an RB250/300 aswell. 

So thinking further and with £1k to spend, I reckon you would be better of upgrading your cart and phono as this would get you a greater SQ imrovement, which your current deck is capable of supporting, probably into Quintet Black/Hana SL/OC9 territory. 

There is currently a 2M Black in the classifieds @ £300 (a significant step up from your current Blue) and would leave you with plenty to get a better PS. For example the 3 box NVA phonostage (PS + 2x PSU) for £475 delivered, also in the classifieds. 

Edited by Lurch
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Theres a nice Gyro SE in the classifieds, could be made a little closer to your budget if you didnt want some of the extra's.. ;) 

To be fair, you probably won't do better for a grand than what you have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

If I had your situation I would buy another motor, upgrade your turntable link below. However I’d be tempted first motor and new cartridge.

https://www.inspirehifi.co.uk/other-upgrades.html

https://www.analogueseduction.net/cartridges2/hana-eh-high-output-moving-coil-cartridge.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
58 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Whilst I suggested earlier that you think about the Cranfield Rock that NSM may be selling. This like many decks 'better' than your current one would also  tend to come without an arm at your budget, though you might be able to squeeze an RB250/300 aswell. 

So thinking further and with £1k to spend, I reckon you would be better of upgrading your cart and phono as this would get you a greater SQ imrovement, which your current deck is capable of supporting, probably into Quintet Black/Hana SL/OC9 territory. 

There is currently a 2M Black in the classifieds @ £300 (a significant step up from your current Blue) and would leave you with plenty to get a better PS. For example the 3 box NVA phonostage (PS + 2x PSU) for £475 delivered, also in the classifieds. 

Been down the 2M Black route and did not like the sound, tinkered with it for ages and just could not get it sounding right.

Did think about the Quintet Black, but I decided to settle on a cartridge that would allow me to buy a new stylus should the need arise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Beyond you said:

If I had your situation I would buy another motor, upgrade your turntable link below. However I’d be tempted first motor and new cartridge.

https://www.inspirehifi.co.uk/other-upgrades.html

https://www.analogueseduction.net/cartridges2/hana-eh-high-output-moving-coil-cartridge.html

I have already put a new motor in as I can use a soldering iron and have an electronics background from some years years ago.

Edited by Cas
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/05/2019 at 16:45, Cas said:

Starting thinking today about maybe buying a new turntable, had the latest one for a while now and worn out one motor, now on its second.
Existing turntable is a Project 2 Xperience with a 9c arm and an Ortofon 2M Blue.

I would like recommendations upto £1000.

Thanks for reading.

Bloody hell - I have never worn out a motor (not even on the current one in use that is circa 1985) .. check out ebay -  for that kind of money you can get anything from a LInn Sondek/Pink Triangle/Rock/ etc etc etc  even a Voyd went for £300 the other day.  I would suggest you get something with an easily repaceable motor if you wear them out that quick O.o 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.