alphatoner

Linn Isobarik DMS Speakers

Maybe 25-30 Years ago I had a pair of these and really enjoyed them. I paid £600 for them and resold a year later for about £500ish. Browsing through ebay (as I do) I saw a pair at £21,000. No surprise as I've seen these a few times on ebay along with the others in the £10k+ range.

But I wondered what was the cheapest they go for and found the cheapest pair at £795. Not too bad I thought given the way LP12's have escalated in price. Took a look at the detail.

But Whoa, this is not for a pair of speakers but only for replacement grills. How in gods name can a pair of speaker grills cost £795? I know we often talk about the stupid price of some cables, but at least there is some engineering involved. But 4 pieces of foam for christ sake.

Super Wammer

There is a pair for £899 and the below which states that while these are poor condition and given the way they have been glued they will be difficult to repair they do state that they are working as they should all you need is three amplifiers to get you going . 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linn-Isobarik-PMS-Loudspeakers-Naim-NAXO-2-Crossover/192918882136?hash=item2ceadc8758:g:fAEAAOSwjmRc3c4l

My view would be run for the hills , but other braver and more skilled wammers might see this as a bargain . 

If I fancy replacing or changing the colour of the grilles on my speakers, it’ll cost me around £5000 apparently. On that basis, £795 seems quite reasonable!

But it isn’t, obviously...

• Like 1

Jesus when did you get the 90's? I never saw that mentioned in any thread.

Jesus when did you get the 90's? I never saw that mentioned in any thread.

Had them a year now. Still paying for them for another year, mind!

We actually went in for a Beoplay A1 portable speaker for my birthday. They didn’t have any in stock but casually mentioned their demo 90s were up for sale. When we heard how much they were knocking off the price, Mrs B (accountant!) went home, crunched the numbers and announced this was too good a deal to miss. I went along with her decision, ‘cos I’m nice like that...

• Like 1

Ever the gentleman!

They were bad then - and no better now - they are the only speaker I have ever heard that sounded edgy without having any real top end detail. 

I always fancied a pair second hand (they used to go for peanuts) but just because you got 4 B200 bass units, 4 101 mid range units and 4 T27 or Vifa tweeters depending on what model you picked up.   The sum of the parts was worth more than the whole.  From that with Chris Rodgers crossovers you could make the equivalent of two pairs of much better sounding transmission line loudspeakers and get some cash back selling two of the tweeters.  Now that is just my opinion and I am sure many out there liked them, mind you lots of drivers said they liked the Austin Allegro but it didn't stop it being considered overall as one of the worst cars ever to drive 

:sofa:

You can have my pair of Isobarik DMS's, if you actually want them and if you'd be happy to pay £700 for them. I currently use one of them as the centre channel in my AV system, where it is doing a fine job.

£10k to £21k for Briks?

Were Briks the best speakers in the world in the 1970's and 1980's?

They're the 4th or 5th best pair of 1960's to 1980's speakers in my house. Behind EV Patrician 800, EV Sentry III, Bozak Symphony and Sansui SP5500 (listened to on axis. Off axis the Briks are better than the SP5500's).