CaptenBonScott

MExaktbox-I amp question

Recommended Posts

Is it possible to connect the chakra amps so you can use all the amps power in the box to a two way speaker system ?  ( use all the 8 amps to two speakers, so to say )

Edited by CaptenBonScott
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CaptenBonScott said:

Is it possible to connect the chakra amps so you can use all the amps power in the box to a two way speaker system ?  ( use all the 8 amps to two speakers, so to say )

Short answer: no.  You are getting a maximum 100wpc (that is, for each speaker driver) in any case; given that the amp is driving only one speaker unit with no intervening passive crossover to sap the power. That should be more than adequate for the bass drivers and will be more than the HF units could ever use.

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you turn up the amp to use even 25 watts of power, that is usually more than adequate to power the speakers to extremely high volume.

If you watch wattage output on an amp, such as a McIntosh with the big blue meters on the front, you can see that even using 5 watts is often enough to drive most speakers to moderate listening levels.

Inefficients speakers, such as Magneplanars are power hogs, and do require more power, but that is often the exception.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

There is no way to "bridge" the power amp channels.

If you're going to be using 2 way speakers in the long term, better to go Akurate Exaktbox 6 and a 4100 or 4200 power amp.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

There is no way to "bridge" the power amp channels.

Ok, no way to bridge them, thats what I thought. On friday ill will have my katalysed Mexaktbox-I upp and running anyway :) and im already thinkin of my next step, Akudorik or maybe a pair of used PMC twenty 26, the two way speakers from PMC seemes to be a waste för my 8 channels then.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CaptenBonScott said:

Ok, no way to bridge them, thats what I thought. On friday ill will have my katalysed Mexaktbox-I upp and running anyway :) and im already thinkin of my next step, Akudorik or maybe a pair of used PMC twenty 26, the two way speakers from PMC seemes to be a waste för my 8 channels then.

I can recommend the Akudoriks highly in combination with a Majik Exaktbox I...super!:)

Next month probably i'm gonna also for the upgrade, first reports seems good :P:D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rudi64 said:

I can recommend the Akudoriks highly in combination with a Majik Exaktbox I...super!:)

Next month probably i'm gonna also for the upgrade, first reports seems good :P:D

Akudorik and then later maybe a Rel-sub is on my list. Im also thinkin about a sub to my M140 first, but first thing first, KATALYST :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CaptenBonScott said:

Akudorik and then later maybe a Rel-sub is on my list. Im also thinkin about a sub to my M140 first, but first thing first, KATALYST

And then, maybe, you'll not feel the need for a sub with the 140s. I take it that you already have the heavy bases for the 140s - they do make a big difference.

Incidentally, my most recent experience with wanting a sub (admittedly with Akubariks) was that doing the Space Optimisation properly completely eliminated the need in my listening room. A salutary lesson, fortunately before I laid out any cash.

David

Edited by DavidHB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DavidHB said:

Incidentally, my most recent experience with wanting a sub (admittedly with Akubariks) was that doing the Space Optimisation properly completely eliminated the need in my listening room. A salutary lesson, fortunately before I laid out any cash.

David

M140s don't get near the low end performance of your Bariks, and the sub you tried wasn't suited for your setup.

I can understand that your experience was a terrible one, and I can even appreciate that you don't want to try it anytime soon again, but really, a decent sub (or multiple ones) -can- be an addition to any setup.

But you can't just add any sub to a setup and expect it to work, which is what happened in your case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes the low end is what im missing in my 140s, earlier I had a Mdsm and 109s and tryed a SVS-sub and it sounded better at the low end then the 140s I have now, okey Mdsm and Mexaktbox-I with the 140s sounds overall better. However on friday I have it up and running with katalyst in the Mexaktbox-I. I thought the 140s would be better then the 109s and a sub, but for me that isn´t the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
6 hours ago, CaptenBonScott said:

Ok, no way to bridge them, thats what I thought. On friday ill will have my katalysed Mexaktbox-I upp and running anyway :) and im already thinkin of my next step, Akudorik or maybe a pair of used PMC twenty 26, the two way speakers from PMC seemes to be a waste för my 8 channels then.

There are some different PMC filters available from speakerfilters.com (which I design) which you can try free of charge to see if you like them.  I can do the PMC physical conversion too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CaptenBonScott said:

Yes the low end is what im missing in my 140s, earlier I had a Mdsm and 109s and tryed a SVS-sub and it sounded better at the low end then the 140s I have now, okey Mdsm and Mexaktbox-I with the 140s sounds overall better. However on friday I have it up and running with katalyst in the Mexaktbox-I. I thought the 140s would be better then the 109s and a sub, but for me that isn´t the case.

Yup the 140s do need a sub. If you go that way and can try an Exaktbox Sub to go with it, let me know. I am thinking of it but my dealer doesn't have one to try (probably none do).

@Tin (sorry for hijacking) - whatchu reckon the Kudos Super20As would go well with sub wise (if needed at all)? They quote 30Hz at the bottom end (the 140s are 50Hz). My lil' R|EL T5 may not suit so well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, timster said:

@Tin whatchu reckon the Kudos Super20As would go well with sub wise (if needed at all)? They quote 30Hz at the bottom end (the 140s are 50Hz). My lil' R|EL T5 may not suit so well?

I have Super 20s ... I sometimes think that they sound a bit light.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FearOfMusic said:

I have Super 20s ... I sometimes think that they sound a bit light.

Really? Not the experience I had when I demo'd them last year. But that was with an A4200 powering them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, timster said:

 (sorry for hijacking) - whatchu reckon the Kudos Super20As would go well with sub wise (if needed at all)? They quote 30Hz at the bottom end (the 140s are 50Hz). My lil' R|EL T5 may not suit so well?

I think this is more of a question for @sunbeamgls because it's more an Exakt question I think. In a passive setup most ported speakers will drop with 24dB/octave with lowering frequencies, and most closed speakers will drop with only 12dB/octave.

My RELs drop with 12dB octave with increasing frequencies, which is why I bunged up my 212s; they're closed boxes now and their behaviour matches that of my RELs.

With Exakt, Exakt takes care of both the speakers and subs, but I don't know Exaktly how it works. I imagine that the speakers response stays unchanged as much as possible (but the existence of the X-max filters says that isn't so) and that the Exaktbox sub tries to match their behavior. I remember that Philbo mentioned a 12dB slope once, but I don't know if Exakt can stop a ported speaker from dropping at 24dB/octave. I think the discussion was about closed speakers at the time, so it could be he was responding to the situation at hand.

Exakt changes the rules, but I don't know how.

As for the 30Hz, I think that Kudos website says 'in most rooms', making it quite  arbitrary remark. Having said that, your REL will undoubtedly go (much) deeper than S20As and with much more authority. Could be that the 30Hz 'in room' implies that they're benefitting from a room mode around that frequency.

5 hours ago, timster said:

Really? Not the experience I had when I demo'd them last year. But that was with an A4200 powering them!

Maybe FearOfMusic has a larger room? Could make all the difference.

I'm not sure I answered your questions. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.