mr neds

Used Dacmagic - plus or 100?

Super Wammer

Main difference is that the Plus can be used as a headphone amp as the selector dial acts as a volume pot when put in HPA mode. 

Thanks Lurch. Yeah, might use the headphone amp, as my Arcam only has a mini jack socket. More interested in the sound quality difference. Pricewise, the plus seems to sell used for less, but was originally around a hundred quid more?

Posted (edited)

I would

• if you can use USB

; get a CA DacMAGIC XS v2 perhaps on eBay or second hand locally. Otherwise, perhaps look at a Micromega MyDAC or something else with a good power stage?
Edited by Millennium

No use for usb, just want an upgrade for my Chromecast and to try out with my cd17. Didn’t know about the Micromega. Do you mean power supply, not stage?

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, mr neds said:

No use for usb, just want an upgrade for my Chromecast and to try out with my cd17. Didn’t know about the Micromega. Do you mean power supply, not stage?

Ok. A MyDac from French Micromega (a company with a vast heritage in musical playback) has optical coax and usb (untimed - no extra timing socketed) inputs and uses a figure 8 plug. They do emphasise good power stage in a small shape. You would need a HDMI breakout box^^^ to plug it in to your chromecast. Hoping that your future system is an excellent one, if you can find one for say £135 or less second hand it's an excellent product, ears up to it. I would suggest a 3rd party quality power lead depending on your function.

^^^ SPDIF COAX is said to be better than Optical connections sometimes. There seem to be few if any similar items which use Coax. I would also advise I have this item and please do not buy it it crackles even with a good 5v in - get something which has good amazon reviews, perhaps not from Amazon if you wish and if you are unconcerned about warranty (which makes sense for modern IC products such as it) perhaps look at the second hand marketplaces s.

edit: you may have to wait a while to get one. I do have one spare I am planning to keep it it's really neat :)

1. edit in reference to post shown below.
Edited by Millennium

Sorry Naveen, still don’t know what you mean by”good power stage” as it’s a dac, not a preamp. I know Micromega, just not the dac ! There’s one on eBay, but it’s in Poland and more expensive used than most comparable dacs

Posted (edited)

All I know is I have a Dacmagic (that is like the 100 but bigger and has three settings for reproduction and sound quality wise was the equal and better of my Meridian 506 20 bit machine depending on the three settings used)  .. I am pretty sure the guts (DA conversion) has same pcbs -  for the money if you do not need a headphone socket then the 100 is a virtual no brainer in my book.

Edited by uzzy

Dacmagic100 for £100 on eBay, free postage- plus 15% discount on electrical that day, £85 all in! I’m waiting for it’s arrival...........

• Upvote 1