TheFlash

DAS Acoustics of Hungary: plinths

Super Wammer

Folks,

I have no connection with this company http://www.dasacoustic.com/en/index/ other than having emailed them out of sheer nosiness, prompted by this ad in the Classifieds and a locally available TD160 on which I'm now going to pass:

The least I can do having kicked the tyres is to share the gorgeous work of the man/woman/team. Their man (I think) Imre sent me some stunning photos which I thought you might enjoy. I was also surprised to see that £299 gets you (inc UK shipping) one of their range of CNC-cornered lacquered jobbies. I like these finishes a lot but think I'd find the simpler painted ones easier to live with over the longer term. Check out some of these pics. A fantastic way IMHO of transforming some models of Garrard, Thorens, Lenco or Technics or of course the Linn LP12.

image0.thumb.jpeg.28c2c73f580f4a52c0b8b99506a60f5e.jpegimage1.jpeg.cc01be55c28b394eb7debe43a28cd0c6.jpegimage2.jpeg.f6a25a99b401756d3301622bd6426728.jpegimage3.jpeg.3a19c1ffaf949bfd45cee3b44720ec3a.jpegimage4.thumb.jpeg.25511e4077846a39d408e2ce2c66fb82.jpegimage5.thumb.jpeg.0d8d2507f1adf86cee74599bd67b64a5.jpegimage6.thumb.jpeg.bd219fc6fb3304fdf9862744ec0c260a.jpegimage7.thumb.jpeg.fa9ad21647f4ed781b1c7af8789ac68c.jpegimage8.thumb.jpeg.3f859bd59235fe9d5f92359416fa74d8.jpegimage9.thumb.jpeg.0a567c9c6207524b4c4e61d64a33cf85.jpegimage10.thumb.jpeg.9f202fe0c984f3fe518ed2a2c16aded1.jpegimage11.thumb.jpeg.306385b5929c269fc9656fd6984e263b.jpegimage12.thumb.jpeg.d6b31517f3cf1898f1a5d4dc03d908cb.jpeg

• Like 5

Good find Nigel. Lovely looking work that.

Wow..look absolutely stunning. Great find sir :)

That piano palisander finish looks absolutely gorgeous

Super Wammer

Some of them appear to have shoots growing out of the back of them. Is it living breathing wood and not humanely killed before being cut up?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, gorgeous, but - £300 each ?? Made in Hungary should mean cheap, after all, wages out there virtually zero, hence so many East Europeans over here.

We can all make ourselves a plain plywood one for a lot less, but II doubt I can achieve that finish, dont have the patience.

Edited by forgot-my-id

From the bits of woodwork I've turned my hand to over the years, that sort of work and standard of finish takes a lot of time and skill. I must live in a different world, but £300 for quality like that seems good value to me, and I don't see the need to bring xenophobic stereotyping into this thread either.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
10 minutes ago, forgot-my-id said:

Yes, gorgeous, but - £300 each ?? Made in Hungary should mean cheap, after all, wages out there virtually zero, hence so many East Europeans over here.

We can all make ourselves a plain plywood one for a lot less, but II doubt I can achieve that finish, dont have the patience.

1 minute ago, rabski said:

From the bits of woodwork I've turned my hand to over the years, that sort of work and standard of finish takes a lot of time and skill. I must live in a different world, but £300 for quality like that seems good value to me, and I don't see the need to bring xenophobic stereotyping into this thread either.

I don't think Geoff was being xenophobic, he just values things differently from me/us: cost plus. I look at the quality of the thing vs anything similar either as an aftermarket tweak or original equipment and think "gosh, £300: what fantastic value".

Super Wammer

I live in the same different world as Rab because I think that £300 is cheap for that product. Lovely work.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TheFlash said:

I don't think Geoff was being xenophobic, he just values things differently from me/us: cost plus. I look at the quality of the thing vs anything similar either as an aftermarket tweak or original equipment and think "gosh, £300: what fantastic value".

Sorry if you think I was overreacting, but I think the comment " wages out there virtually zero, hence so many East Europeans over here" is pretty 'obvious'.

Anyway, I'm not in the Getty league, but to me, £300 for the type with corner machining, fully finished and shipped looks like extremely good value.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
27 minutes ago, rabski said:

Sorry if you think I was overreacting, but I think the comment " wages out there virtually zero, hence so many East Europeans over here" is pretty 'obvious'.

Anyway, I'm not in the Getty league, but to me, £300 for the type with corner machining, fully finished and shipped looks like extremely good value.

No, I didn't think you were overreacting, just possibly misinterpreting. I could see where both of you were coming from. It's comfy here on this Patented Fence Cushion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, TheFlash said:

No, I didn't think you were overreacting, just possibly misinterpreting. I could see where both of you were coming from. It's comfy here on this Patented Fence Cushion.

Isn't it just  :D

Super Wammer
Just now, rabski said:

Isn't it just  :D

My Patented Fence Cushion was made in Poland!

• Haha 2

I might make myself a plinth one day, but I won't have the patience to achieve that finish.  

• Like 1