TheFlash

DAS Acoustics of Hungary: plinths

Super Wammer

I mean basically, with no offence intended to the original unspoilt decks in question when I call them "ordinary", these plinths take an ordinary deck and make it look like something very special indeed.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

They seem great value to me for that workmanship and finish.  If anyone wants expensive then this might be more your thing...

https://www.woodsongaudio.com/index.html

1 hour ago, Nopiano said:

They seem great value to me for that workmanship and finish.  If anyone wants expensive then this might be more your thing...

https://www.woodsongaudio.com/index.html

Pah, a mere bagatelle.

For a 301 plinth from someone known to us, I give you: "£3950 for figured Walnut top and Ripple Sycamore sides, arm pod plinth to accommodate 9”, 10”, 11” and 12” arms (not SME at 9” length)"...

13 minutes ago, rabski said:

Pah, a mere bagatelle.

For a 301 plinth from someone known to us, I give you: "£3950 for figured Walnut top and Ripple Sycamore sides, arm pod plinth to accommodate 9”, 10”, 11” and 12” arms (not SME at 9” length)"...

£4k for a plinth?

• Like 1

Yup  :nuts:

18 minutes ago, rabski said:

Yup  :nuts:

My goodness. Still, if there is a market for it then it is fair enough that someone will service it.

Just now, forgot-my-id said:

ooh yes, £$£$ for 4 bits of wood stuck together - I'm in the wrong job ;)

Me too. Of course, it all relies on the assumption that someone would actually buy one, which may be where it all starts to go wrong :D

• Like 2

Could just be a spoof to justify the cost of the real product.  Of course, IF someone sent the money, they'd make one. Or vanish.

1 minute ago, forgot-my-id said:

Could just be a spoof to justify the cost of the real product.  Of course, IF someone sent the money, they'd make one. Or vanish.

I know him. He'd make it alright, and his craftmanship is spectacular. But then at those prices, so it should be...

£300 for that is excellent value, try buying the wood and veneer and hiring yourself a good cabinet maker for the day and see what that costs you...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, forgot-my-id said:

ooh yes, £$£$ for 4 bits of wood stuck together - I'm in the wrong job ;)

Same thoughts here. I have bucket loads of steel, copper and bronze on this boat. Probably tons of it. And we have heavy industrial grade lathes for machining, and idle engineers sipping coffee all day :D

So I guess I will get my own plinth built off free once I get my first TT :D

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, newlash09 said:

Same thoughts here. I have bucket loads of steel, copper and bronze on this boat. Probably tons of it. And we have heavy industrial grade lathes for machining, and idle engineers sipping coffee all day :D

Idle hands make nice plinth 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Super Wammer
17 hours ago, newlash09 said:

Get them to build you an ersatz Gyrodec, you'd only have to find a motor and control box to complete the project. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 18/05/2019 at 17:13, TheFlash said:

I mean basically, with no offence intended to the original unspoilt decks in question when I call them "ordinary", these plinths take an ordinary deck and make it look like something very special indeed.

They do more than looks - they have done with the Thorens plinth, similar to the Heybrook plinth, which has little air inside and the plinth  is in effect sculpted (not a box). 

As to wages over there - we have a one sided view.  Poland has a thriving Hifi Industry and I believe Art have sold quite a few pairs of their speakers out there (and turntables).  Poland is also asking people to return home due to a skills and workforce shortage.   I am pretty sure as Hungary's economy grows (Suzuki stuck a plant there and Jaguar landrover are moving a large chunk to Slovakia).    Too many get hung up on wage levels as opposed the potential to earn.  Industrious people will make money working hard even in a low wage economy.  

It would be interesting to have them design a new plinth for all the suspended subchassis turntables (Linn, Ariston AR etc) and also the non suspended lol .. they look works of art to me bless em - and if they were to source lids and hinges to fit them then they would have a wider appeal perhaps.

Edited by uzzy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1