newlash09

Avid volvere..any impressions please

Hi all

Good evening. 

Iam being offered a avid volvere in the usaudiomart site for 1995usd. I enquired with the seller regarding a cart. And he is willing to bundle a benz micro MC for an additional 400usd. Any experience or impressions of the avid would be most welcome. Thanks for your time.

Oops.. 11 views and absolutely no feed back :)

2 hours ago, newlash09 said:

Hi all

Good evening. 

Iam being offered a avid volvere in the usaudiomart site for 1995usd. I enquired with the seller regarding a cart. And he is willing to bundle a benz micro MC for an additional 400usd. Any experience or impressions of the avid would be most welcome. Thanks for your time.

Yes, l had an early version of the Volvere……...if you want, detail, precision and general wonderment of the vinyl medium then fill your boots, l found it a little forensic the clarity and focus was incredible, very little in the way of surface noise ( partly due to the clamp and the deck's isolation)...it really was a bit of an ear opener.... however this ( for me personally) was a little too much, that said it maybe inexperience on my part of matching it with other components in the replay chain that shared the same attributes as the AVID.... good luck.:geek:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tarzan said:

Yes, l had an early version of the Volvere……...if you want, detail, precision and general wonderment of the vinyl medium then fill your boots, l found it a little forensic the clarity and focus was incredible, very little in the way of surface noise ( partly due to the clamp and the deck's isolation)...it really was a bit of an ear opener.... however this ( for me personally) was a little too much, that said it maybe inexperience on my part of matching it with other components in the replay chain that shared the same attributes as the AVID.... good luck.:geek:

Thanks a ton for sharing your impressions sir :)

my digital rig is very musical.. probably at the cost of detail.. So this avid with its detail will be a welcome addition sir.. 

And thanks  a lot for taking the time to reply with a detailed reply. Much appreciated :)

Posted (edited)

Generally speaking a wonderful deck. Andy’s comments are accurate imo, especially in the wrong system, but pair it well (a ‘musical’, rather than overly detailed cart and maybe a valve phono stage) and you’re right up there. 

Re value, it rather depends on the iteration of the sequel, as there’s been a couple. What exact model is it Manohar? Any pics? 

Edited by lordmortlock
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, lordmortlock said:

Generally speaking a wonderful deck. Andy’s comments are accurate imo, especially in the wrong system, but pair it well (a ‘musical’, rather than overly detailed cart and maybe a valve phono stage) and you’re right up there. 

Re value, it rather depends on the iteration of the sequel, as there’s been a couple. What exact model is it Manohar? Any pics? 

Hi sir....thanks for your valuable feedback. The seller seems to be inclined for a local cash sale. So couldn't muster to ask him regarding the iteration actually. But i guess this is 8 years old as stated by the seller in his ad. So this could be one of the older models sir.

And the pics on the audiomart..seem to have some kind of protection. So try as I may..Iam unable to download them to share 

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, lordmortlock said:

Spot on lordmortlock, a Benz cartridge and valve phono stage would be superb with this deck.... Also the bass is amazing on this's deck although the sound in general could be a touch 'lean'  ( partly due to the lack of colouration) thus the Benz and a valve phono stage recommendations are good ones.

PS; If you like your digital rig-- you may well love the AVID.

If my numbers ever come in l would buy the AVID Actutus.

good luck.

Edited by Tarzan
  • Like 1

I will probably get shot down in flames but in my opinion there is not a night and day difference once you get into this price range where the turntable has been well engineered. 

As to the presentation of any turntable much has to do with the arm and cartridge used as the final sound is a synergy of all three.   

I could be wrong but when you get into the expensive turntable league there is more than sound quality at play - it is also the eye candy.  If it looks hideous and sounds great you will probably convince yourself that the prettier one sounds better even if it doesn't. 

If you love the looks and you are getting it at a price that makes it a no loss if ever you decide to move it on then go for it and enjoy ..

• Like 1

Hi all..

Good evening and happy weekend 

I wish to convey my sincere thanks to all of you good gentleman. I finally decided to buy the avid for now. I don't have a dedicated Phono stage at the moment. But will look for a dedicated tubed Phono stage as suggested. And the seller has corrected that the cart is a benz micro mc-3. Understand that his mention of the mc-10 was a typo error. 

I will initially get it spinning off my parasound' s MC Phono input. Lucky I haven't sold it yet. Will post my listening impressions once Iam back home. Thanks again.

10 hours ago, newlash09 said:

Hi all..

Good evening and happy weekend 

I wish to convey my sincere thanks to all of you good gentleman. I finally decided to buy the avid for now. I don't have a dedicated Phono stage at the moment. But will look for a dedicated tubed Phono stage as suggested. And the seller has corrected that the cart is a benz micro mc-3. Understand that his mention of the mc-10 was a typo error. 

I will initially get it spinning off my parasound' s MC Phono input. Lucky I haven't sold it yet. Will post my listening impressions once Iam back home. Thanks again.

may I ask are you from the UK Isle?

7 hours ago, Millennium said:

may I ask are you from the UK Isle?

Hi Millenium :)

Iam actually from India. I started off on the whathifi forum. And came here along with the other refugees :D

• Upvote 1

Oops..

Sad update. I guess I lost the avid to a local buyer who spared the owner a pay pal transaction and shipping hassles. So will have to start looking all over again. Thanks :)

1 hour ago, newlash09 said:

Oops..

Sad update. I guess I lost the avid to a local buyer who spared the owner a pay pal transaction and shipping hassles. So will have to start looking all over again. Thanks :)

Bummer.:(

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tarzan said:

Bummer.:(

On the brighter side sir...this could just be divine intervention to not let me buy any TT , except a michell gyrodec. Which has always been my love at first sight :)

• Like 1

Super Wammer
16 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

On the brighter side sir...this could just be divine intervention to not let me buy any TT , except a michell gyrodec. Which has always been my love at first sight :)

Do you mean a Michell Gyrodec? Or a Michell Gyro SE, like what I have? I prefer naked; in turntables too.

• Like 1