Sign in to follow this  
Daveyf

Linn LP 12 and Power conditioner...thoughts?

I have been using my Linn LP12 Radikal D into a power strip and then directly into my 20amp dedicated line, tonight I am going to plug the Radikal into an Audience power conditioner (PC). Into the same PC, I will plug all of my other gear...including tube mono amps, a SACD player and a tube preamp. Should be interesting to see what the results are. The PC will plug into my 20 amp dedicated line.

Anyone have thoughts on using the LP12 into a PC? Linn doesn't seem to state much about the quality of the power coming from the wall...what do you think?

You'll find  whole threads about this stuff if you look around.

"Power Conditioners" have their advocates and detractors... but the only sensible advice can be to listen and hear for yourself, in your system.

I think most folks are agreed that a cleanly wired  dedicated spur, with good quality plugs & sockets, is always a worthwhile [and usually audible] step to take.

After that it really comes down to horses for courses.   Different mains supplies have different problems  and failings, whether they be interference , voltage or frequency related . The effect of any power conditioning products  will therefore be dependent on what's wrong with the supply in the first place.

Some folks are blessed with an excellent clean & stable mains supply , whilst others endure an absolutely terrible supply.

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Daveyf said:

I have been using my Linn LP12 Radikal D into a power strip and then directly into my 20amp dedicated line, tonight I am going to plug the Radikal into an Audience power conditioner (PC). Into the same PC, I will plug all of my other gear...including tube mono amps, a SACD player and a tube preamp. Should be interesting to see what the results are. The PC will plug into my 20 amp dedicated line.

Anyone have thoughts on using the LP12 into a PC? Linn doesn't seem to state much about the quality of the power coming from the wall...what do you think?

I would be interested in hearing your results.

I would recommend you not plug the tube equipment into your power conditioner, but plug everything else into it for audition.

I suspect that the tube preamp and power amp would be relatively immune to power issues and sound quality may actually deteriorate if you plug the tube preamp and amps into the power conditioner? The tube equipment may also feed noise back into the mains effecting the other equipment, so I would keep them separate. 

However, I predict that the Radikal, LP-12 and SACD player will benefit quite nicely with the power conditioner

Looking forward to hearing the outcome.

So far these are the results with a couple of variables in the system. I started the test with using my large Rowland ss amp directly into the dedicated line and the balance of the gear off the PC, which was plugged into a non dedicated convenience line. (The Rowland draws too much to be an option with the PC!) The result of that was that the system was slightly more dynamic...very slightly more than with the ancillary gear off the non dedicated line and no PC in the system. I was not that impressed at this point with the PC. Next up, I plugged all of the gear into the PC...and the Rowland was out of the system, the amps were now the Jadis tube mono blocks...and the PC was plugged into the dedicated line. I noticed in this set up a slight increase in bass extension  and slightly more bass resolution than when everything was plugged into the dedicated line via a power strip..with the tube mono blocks and no PC. I also felt that the overall dynamic envelope was very slightly diminished with all of the tube gear into the PC and then the dedicated line. 

We are talking very minor differences here.. possibly due to the fact that I am using a dedicated line with upgraded house cabling and all upgrades to the main power transformer at the street. Nonetheless, I am continuing with my experimentation using the PC...all of the above findings were with digital as the front end. Next up is vinyl.

Edited by Daveyf
  • Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this