Fazioli

Ken Ishiwata leaves Marantz

10 minutes ago, Fazioli said:

Slightly warm news: After 41 years Ken Ishawata is to leave Marantz

Press release

Is he retiring as he must be getting on abit now but made some good stuff over the years 

Super Wammer

It’s bad news for Marantz.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he’d had enough after the latest merger announcement. 

• Upvote 1

It's worth remembering that Marantz only put Ken's initials to a limited amount of amps and CDPs.

3 hours ago, Blacksabbath25 said:

Is he retiring as he must be getting on abit now but made some good stuff over the years 

' Ishiwata noted: "It must be [a] big surprise that I’m not part of Marantz organization... I thought I’d be forever a part of Marantz. Unfortunately that’s not the case." '

what he did never seemed to change and cdp was his main focus  ,the 63 was a very good player .   cdp  are not selling too many today. so I guess they dont need him.  Once spoke to him at a show  seemed a helpful guy.    happy retirement 

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

It's worth remembering that Marantz only put Ken's initials to a limited amount of amps and CDPs.

That’s true, but I thought he pretty much signed off everything they did in the audio side. 

The 10-series stuff doesn’t have his initials but he was definitely involved in that.  Not sure they are selling well, mind you. 

Ken Ishiwata: Forty years of preserving the Marantz sound

https://www.whathifi.com/features/ken-ishiwata-forty-years-of-preserving-the-marantz-sound

How did you end up at Marantz?
Actually, Marantz Europe contacted me in 1977, as they needed someone technical who also understood European business. I went there for an interview, but when I gave my conditions they said, "Mr. Ishiwata, you are too expensive for us." I didn’t want to compromise, so I went home and forgot about it.

A couple of months later they contacted me again and said, "We can’t afford to have you in the European organisation, but Marantz Japan still want you to join the company." After that, I joined the company in 1978 as tech/commercial coordinator.

I wonder what's gone on there?

1 hour ago, Nopiano said:

That’s true, but I thought he pretty much signed off everything they did in the audio side. 

The 10-series stuff doesn’t have his initials but he was definitely involved in that.  Not sure they are selling well, mind you. 

Think their high end stuff tends to get ignored. Years ago I heard the more affordable PM 7001KI, and IIRC sounded fine, although no idea how it compared to the standard 7001.

1 hour ago, Aristillus said:

I wonder what's gone on there?

Perhaps nothing. Maybe he's thought it a good time to hang up his cables.:roll:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, tuga said:

How did you end up at Marantz?
Actually, Marantz Europe contacted me in 1977, as they needed someone technical who also understood European business. I went there for an interview, but when I gave my conditions they said, "Mr. Ishiwata, you are too expensive for us." I didn’t want to compromise, so I went home and forgot about it.

A couple of months later they contacted me again and said, "We can’t afford to have you in the European organisation, but Marantz Japan still want you to join the company." After that, I joined the company in 1978 as tech/commercial coordinator.

My guess is that we have a re-run of this story.  I suspect the value to Marantz as Brand Ambassador is less that the value to KI of his time / dignity.  

Just reading the whf article, words of wisdom.....

"Unfortunately, specifications don’t tell you about sound quality. That’s not just for DACs, it’s for everything. Those specifications are all based on static measurements, but music is dynamic and there are many other parameters that influence performance. "

KI

4 hours ago, dave said:

Just reading the whf article, words of wisdom.....

"Unfortunately, specifications don’t tell you about sound quality. That’s not just for DACs, it’s for everything. Those specifications are all based on static measurements, but music is dynamic and there are many other parameters that influence performance. "

KI

+1

Super Wammer

I’m hoping he will link up with another brand, with a rather more purist approach.