Sign in to follow this  
wHIZZY

eBay, £1 selling offer - warning

I recently listed a DAC on eBay using their £1 selling offer. The DAC sold for £550 +£20 Postage so given the offer I was expecting an eBay sellers invoice for £1, so was surprised when I actually received one for £57. I contacted eBay who apologised and said it was a mistake and corrected the error. However, my daughter had the same thing happen, so if you use the offer make sure you check your sellers invoice. 

• Like 2

Super Wammer

@wHIZZY Thanks for the warning . 

Did it sell after 30 days of listing? They catch a few people out with that, it has to sell before, and if you end and relist it in another £1 promo, they will also charge you full whack if it sells - the way to get around that is, end listing after 30 days, then 'create similar' out of the same listing in the next £1 promotion - do not use 'relist;.

This way, you get another 30 days at £1 selling fee.

Theres always a catch with eBay...

Super Wammer

The snag is the ‘invoice’ I’ve had isn’t any such thing, just a total.  So it’s hard to determine what sales it refers to.  Is there an analysis somewhere in my account page I should be checking?

23 minutes ago, The Chronicals said:

Did it sell after 30 days of listing? They catch a few people out with that, it has to sell before, and if you end and relist it in another £1 promo, they will also charge you full whack if it sells - the way to get around that is, end listing after 30 days, then 'create similar' out of the same listing in the next £1 promotion - do not use 'relist;.

This way, you get another 30 days at £1 selling fee.

Theres always a catch with eBay...

It was a new type of listing which I had not seen before, I can't recall the exact phrase but it was something like 'active until sold' i.e. no time limit. eBay did not dispute the error and apologised saying they had no idea how it had happened and immediately offered the reduced charge of £1. What seemed just a little coincidental was that my daughter said she had a similar experience. So well worth checking your invoice total at the end of the month. 

22 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

The snag is the ‘invoice’ I’ve had isn’t any such thing, just a total.  So it’s hard to determine what sales it refers to.  Is there an analysis somewhere in my account page I should be checking?

Yes just go to to your account page and click on the fees tab which you should see about 2/3rd the way down, just under the heading current balance

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, wHIZZY said:

It was a new type of listing which I had not seen before, I can't recall the exact phrase but it was something like 'active until sold' i.e. no time limit. eBay did not dispute the error and apologised saying they had no idea how it had happened and immediately offered the reduced charge of £1. What seemed just a little coincidental was that my daughter said she had a similar experience. So well worth checking your invoice total at the end of the month. 

No, you misunderstand, thats just a Good Till Cancelling listing.

eBay Customer Services often confuse themselves because of their ever increasing amount of policies, so great you got it refunded, but I doubt its an actual error as its all automated algorithms . eBay will often keep buyers happy like they have done in this case, so it may have been that.

How long did it sell after you listed it? and had you listed it before and thus relisted it this time? and did you 'accept the £1 listing promotion' offer - you have to click on their email link to get it 'active' - another way they catch you out.

Edited by The Chronicals

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, alphatoner said:

Yes just go to to your account page and click on the fees tab which you should see about 2/3rd the way down, just under the heading current balance

Brilliant, thanks!  Never thought to look, but I’ve saved on the big items using the £1 deal, then paid more on the odds and ends!  

Personally never had a problem relisting and still getting the £1 deal (or at least I've never noticed) I don't always check, but usually do if I see a high bill. I seem to get the offer at least once a month and sometime more if there is a bank holiday. I have even cancelled and relisted straightaway and still only paid the £1, I'm not saying others are wrong just that I've not had any problems and at a guess save myself between £50 & £150 every month. I do let one or two go through each month which are outside the deal just in case they stop offering it.

24 minutes ago, alphatoner said:

Personally never had a problem relisting and still getting the £1 deal (or at least I've never noticed) I don't always check, but usually do if I see a high bill. I seem to get the offer at least once a month and sometime more if there is a bank holiday. I have even cancelled and relisted straightaway and still only paid the £1, I'm not saying others are wrong just that I've not had any problems and at a guess save myself between £50 & £150 every month. I do let one or two go through each month which are outside the deal just in case they stop offering it.

https://pages.ebay.co.uk/promo/

• If an item qualifies for the promotion and when the item sells, the invoice will indicate the fee including the discount. Please note: if the item does not sell the first time and if you relist it after the promotional period or if it is automatically relisted during the promotional period, standard final value fees will be charged according to the eBay fees policy when the relisted item sells.

Super Wammer
21 hours ago, The Chronicals said:

https://pages.ebay.co.uk/promo/

• If an item qualifies for the promotion and when the item sells, the invoice will indicate the fee including the discount. Please note: if the item does not sell the first time and if you relist it after the promotional period or if it is automatically relisted during the promotional period, standard final value fees will be charged according to the eBay fees policy when the relisted item sells.

Yes, the automatic resisting thing is what nearly caught me out recently.  Better to choose a buy it now listing, I later realised, as that runs for a month (I think).