plasticpenguin

The Dambuster anniversary

https://dambustersblog.com/

Operation Chastise: The first wave of aircraft took to the Lincolnshire skies at around 2130 hours. Gibson attacked the Moehne Dam shortly after midnight on the 17th.

Still the most iconic raid of WWII. 

Edited by plasticpenguin
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

What is so special about it’s 76th anniversary?

Not a particularly significant number is it?

Despite my fondness for the film when I was a kid, I think it’s time to let it go by now.

How would you feel if Germans were celebrating the Blitz on London (or Coventry) every year and enjoying films glorifying it and having anniversary Blitz flypasts of old Luftwaffe bombers?

It’s a bit sick by now unless you are an ex RAF bomber command aircrew member aged in your late 90s or thereabouts (or closely related to one).

Edited by chebby

Super Wammer

Without wanting to fall out, @chebby I think it might be a good idea to reflect on might have been if we had lost WW2. That for me is reason enough to remember and indeed celebrate some of the significant actions on the way to that victory. I was born soon after WW2 and I think it is too easy to forget some of those things in these times of 'safe places' and rewriting history. Sorry but the luxuries of some of these snowflake concepts are only possible because of what we did in WW2 and I for one will celebrate the Dambusters raid with a clear conscience.

I think it is very far from being "a bit sick" to celebrate the Dambusters and I worry that someone is even saying this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Absoluetly spot on Nick, I couldn't have put that any better myself...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If we had lost the war, we WOULD be celebrating the blitz.  In German.

• Upvote 2

For years there's always been a discussion about whether the Dams raid was worth it. My thinking was in 1942 and 43 Britain was so desperate Wallis's bomb had to be used.

Yes IMHO. Firstly, it was enough to convinced Congress not to take the bulk of the USAAF out of Britain. They wanted to concentrate more of their efforts in the far east. Secondly, Stalin needed proof we were serious about defeating Germany quickly, given how the Germans brutalized western Russia . And thirdly, the Germans sent around 100,000 troops from the Atlantic Wall to repair the damaged dams and cover those that hadn't, in fear the RAF would make subsequent attacks... 100,000 isn't huge in the grand scheme of things, but meant 100,000 less troops to greet the invading forces on the Normandy beaches a year later.

Yes it has been necessary, at times, to prosecute war in order to protect our lives, our way of life and our values.

However this level of jingoism (especially from a generation who only ever watched it on the telly or heard the stories from older relatives), a full lifetime after such sad events took place, should have faded by now.

War should be regretted not celebrated. Sometimes it has to happen but the memories should fill us with horror rather than pleasure.

Super Wammer

Sorry but it must never fade. Otherwise it will happen again.

We should be horrified at what the Nazis tried to do but I see no issue at all with celebrating that they were stopped.

Celebrating does not always imply pleasure and I for one will only ever be horrified at what the Nazis drove us to do in order to stop them.

I regret that the Nazis started the war and I celebrate that they were beaten. End of. No further discussion from me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, chebby said:

Yes it has been necessary, at times, to prosecute war in order to protect our lives, our way of life and our values.

However this level of jingoism (especially from a generation who only ever watched it on the telly or heard the stories from older relatives), a full lifetime after such sad events took place, should have faded by now.

War should be regretted not celebrated. Sometimes it has to happen but the memories should fill us with horror rather than pleasure.

Define Jingoism, please? I'm not celebrating but commemorating the Dams raid, as I do every year (as with any worthy WWI or WWII raid, conflict... call it whatever you want). I don't have Dambuster T-shirts nor do I fly a flag.

Your dad served with the Fleet Air Arm as my dad did with Coastal Command.

Stop being a grumpy old fart... if you don't like the subject matter, don't reply. It's quite simple. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the important thing here is that we should not forget and be very thankful for what that generation did and the sense of Duty and selflessness they had. ( which is now mainly absent) .  

It was still tough after WW2 finished, there were more things rationed after the war than during it. A lot of people were genuinely hungry and cold. None of the mass consumerism that we all enjoy today.

If still alive I would guess they wouldn't believe some/most of the stuff that we all moan about today.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, chebby said:

What is so special about it’s 76th anniversary?

Not a particularly significant number is it?

Despite my fondness for the film when I was a kid, I think it’s time to let it go by now.

How would you feel if Germans were celebrating the Blitz on London (or Coventry) every year and enjoying films glorifying it and having anniversary Blitz flypasts of old Luftwaffe bombers?

It’s a bit sick by now unless you are an ex RAF bomber command aircrew member aged in your late 90s or thereabouts (or closely related to one).

:doh:

Daa da da daa da da daaa daaaa

Daaaa da  da daaa da da  daaaa daaaaa

daa daaa daaa daaa daaaa daa daaa daaa

daaaaa daaaaaa da daaaaaaaaaa