TheFlash

Audia Flight Owner's Club

Super Wammer

Well that was a nice afternoon. SCM40A owner Nick @Fourlegs popped in from 15 mins away and SCM40 owner Nick @Nopiano popped in from ... 3 hours away.

The menu du jour was a mix of amp comparisons, speaker comparisons (sort of): 

• ATC SCM40 passive and ATC SCM40A active speakers
  • Arcam A49 and Audia Flight FLS10 amps - each acting as pre into the actives and as integrated into the passives
  • Test tracks
    • Till Brönner - Nightfall from Nightfall
    • Malia/Boris Blank - Celestial Echo from Convergence
    • Chopin's Barcarolle (Nick to provide details?)
  • Plus in non-comparative mode
    • Daniel Lanois - I Love You from Shine
    • Jones/McBride/Cobb - various from West of 5th
    • Craig Armstrong - Weather Storm from The Space between Us

Life's too short to give a blow by blow account. Basically, nothing was blown away by anything else!

The passive SCM40's sounded more well-rounded on the end of the A49 than I remember from last year: clear across the spectrum but with more bass than I recall. Lovely.

The active SCM40A's with A49 as pre is my rather bizarre usual setup here (I run a second set of speakers off the A49 so am not moving to a dedicated pre). Sounded lovely, crisper than the A49 into passives, greater ability to follow individual instruments when desired.

The FLS10 as pre didn't, as might have been expected, blow the A49 as pre away. I would struggle to identify any notable differences, though Nick and Nick may have better memories and/or ears.

The FLS10 as integrated driving the passives: I was really looking forward to this but at matched levels the sound was different but not notably better. How can this be? I think it lies in listening levels: the FLS10 is so clear and effortless that I must have been (no, strike that, I know from the dB readouts that I was) previously listening louder on this combo and therefore hearing deeper into the mix, hearing an in-the-room attack on notes etc. I can't subject this to any sort of structured analysis, can't highlight softness or whatever in the FLS10 sound, I just find myself relaxing into it more readily and for longer. In fact I'm doing that as I type and doing the noddy/shakey/feeling lucky thing I do when I'm loving what I'm hearing.

I was pretty sure the punchline here was going to be FLS10+passives bests actives but this wasn't to be. I will continue to really enjoy my actives here and relish the time I have with the Audia Flight and passives when I'm up north. Yeah, I know, I'm spolit rotten.

A Nick may be along shortly with a photo...

• Like 2

Super Wammer

... and right on queue: thank you, Nick, they're lovely.

_DSC1758.thumb.jpg.9303b57bcd30614c54b5c8df0cd730c5.jpg_DSC1752.thumb.jpg.0f4098b2efd2b2bf17081f184b495c6f.jpg

• Like 1

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, TheFlash said:

A Nick may be along shortly with a photo...

and so here I am . . . .

As per usual it was a delightful afternoon at Nigel's listening to music and drinking his coffee. And as per usual it was another proof of "Comparison being the thief of joy". In other words whenever we stopped comparing and just listened we were perfectly happy listing to whatever happened to be connected at the time.

There was no bad kit here. Quite the contrary in fact.

When in comparing mode I might have have preferred the active 40s compared to the passive 40s plus Audia amplifier but on the other hand I left saying to Nigel that I have a sneaky feeling that the Audia amp plus ATC 40 passives plus some insanely loud Led Zep might sound magnificent.

edit, Nigel has posted my photos so I have edited to delete them from my post.

Edited by Fourlegs
  • Like 2

Super Wammer

Nigel is being shy and didn't post the photo with his best pointing pose . . . he is pointing at the silky smooth operating volume control on the Audia Flight amplifier (why did I feel the need to delete 'volume knob' and use 'volume control' instead?).

_DSC1755.thumb.jpg.a66379e27ed27eb506c0b6b6a45aeffc.jpg

Super Wammer

good grief , the mrs is being very patient with that lot in the lounge !!!!!

• Like 1

Super Wammer
28 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

good grief , the mrs is being very patient with that lot in the lounge !!!!!

Who are you calling “that lot”?  Oh, you mean the Hifi kit?!

• Haha 1

Super Wammer

:D

Super Wammer

The Chopin Barcarolle is played by Krystian Zimerman on DG 423 090-2, also containing the Four Ballades and Fantasie.   

The Till Brönner - Nightfall track is, I believe, A Thousand Kisses Deep, track 1 on the CD.  

As it’s late, I’ll sleep on the listening and write something tomorrow.   

On 15/05/2019 at 23:58, CnoEvil said:

If you hear, what I think you are going to hear....it will be both seductive and addictive. It should be refined and delicate, yet authoritative, controlled and exciting.

I'm gettin' really turned on man!