TheFlash

Audia Flight Owner's Club

Recommended Posts

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Yes, that apostrophe is in the right place: I think I'm the only owner on the Wam!

Following an uncontested election therefore, I declare myself the Lifelong and All-Powerful President and Spiritual Leader of the Wam's Audia Flight owning community.

Company and range: http://www.audia.it/

My FLS10 integrated arrives tomorrow.

image.png.04c1500da374f66f1ad3a3f45e6b1920.png

image.thumb.png.650d2c908eb8c38e54a87c1b7196aa1c.png

  • Output power per channel Wrms: 200/380/700 (8/4/2 ohm) 
  • Inputs: 3 unbalanced (RCA), 2 balanced (XLR)
  • Outputs: 1 unbalanced (RCA), 1 balanced (XLR), 1 REC unbalanced (RCA)
  • Gain range: -90dB / +10dB
  • Gain resolution: 0,5dB
  • Frequency response (-3dB): 0,3 Hz ÷ 500 KHz
  • THD: < 0,05 %
  • S/N Ratio: 110 dB
  • Input impedance: 47 Kohm
  • Damping factor (on 8 ohm): > 650
  • Main voltage AC (50-60Hz): 100, 110-115, 220-230, 240 V
  • Stand-by power consumption: less than 1 W
  • Power consumption: (200W RMS @ 8 Ohm both channels)840W
  • Dimensions and weight: 450x180x440mm (W x H x D) - 36kg

HiFi News review attached.

HFN_Dec_Audia_Flight_FLS10_Reprint-LOW.pdf

Edited by TheFlash
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

It’s definitely not an amp for the faint hearted, I’d guess.  Or for anyone worrying about their electricity bills!

Looking forward to hearing all about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
9 hours ago, Nopiano said:

It’s definitely not an amp for the faint hearted, I’d guess.  Or for anyone worrying about their electricity bills!

Looking forward to hearing all about it. 

As this will be living in Kendal and only used a few days a month I think my otherwise green credentials take a slight knock rather than an outright hammering...

The power amp component of this integrated is the Class A FLS4 and the FLS10 is described by HFN as "not wholly Class A" (I presume the pre part isn't but that's just a guess). I know folk tend to leave their Class A amps on but obviously I'm not going to be running up electrickery bills for say 2 weeks while not there to enjoy it. HFN states the power consumption as 2w in Standby which is how I want to leave mine.

Q1: why do people leave their Class A amps on? Is it to do with the time to get to operating temperature when you want to hear music? Or does turning them off actually harm the components?

Q2: What is "Idle" (consumes 170w)? Is that fully powered up but not playing anything?

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 09.13.50.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

As this will be living in Kendal and only used a few days a month I think my otherwise green credentials take a slight knock rather than an outright hammering...

The power amp component of this integrated is the Class A FLS4 and the FLS10 is described by HFN as "not wholly Class A" (I presume the pre part isn't but that's just a guess). I know folk tend to leave their Class A amps on but obviously I'm not going to be running up electrickery bills for say 2 weeks while not there to enjoy it. HFN states the power consumption as 2w in Standby which is how I want to leave mine.

Q1: why do people leave their Class A amps on? Is it to do with the time to get to operating temperature when you want to hear music? Or does turning them off actually harm the components?

Q2: What is "Idle" (consumes 170w)? Is that fully powered up but not playing anything?

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 09.13.50.png

I never left my Class A on, as it drew over 410W at idle......which I believe means that there is no music being amplified, but it has been taken out of standby. It also heated up pretty quickly.

A Class A amp draws full power from the minute it is turned on and generally produces 1 deg of heat for every Watt.....so the power used at idle gives an idea of how far the amp is biased into A (or something).

I suspect you are in of a pleasant surprise when you connect that beast up to your speakers.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Thanks for confirming @CnoEvil. Yes, I made a deliberate decision not to replicate my active SCM40A's in Kendal: where's the fun in that? I'll be able to compare the actives with the passives+FLS10 for a week or so here and will report back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Yes, as Cno has said, idle is switched on with nothing playing.  As the standby mode is 2 watts I suspect there’s no amplifier bits operating, or maybe some small part with a trickle through it, most likely simply the remote control circuitry ready to respond.  (My Primare is just 0.2 watts on standby, and 24 watts idling because it’s class D!)

That seems to be an EU thing, as my Marantz goes into standby if I don’t play a CD for thirty minutes - and you wouldn’t think a CD player uses much juice at any time. 

All this may mean is you need, say, half an hour to warm it up while you’re unpacking and making a brew when you arrive in Kendal!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

The arrival, unpacking and installation ceremony:

IMG_4287.thumb.jpg.c794064b53f07d7f4010ec1564c65e94.jpgIMG_4288.thumb.jpg.9945da1b3465d450fe9854068ffe3a5c.jpgIMG_4289.thumb.jpg.457ebbfaf27bd107d2a7810380fa8382.jpgIMG_4290.thumb.jpg.ac089dd2a90962914ed7a994c0f2dd82.jpgIMG_4291.thumb.jpg.4707beb6317ccc3cc00dc40a9fe83a65.jpgIMG_4296.thumb.jpg.762363050768afee11e724f42d8f5c86.jpgIMG_4295.thumb.jpg.1d0b83a27da4d35c7c92440c28911e48.jpg

All I need now is some passive speakers to test it with... I'm collecting my ATC SCM40's from Musicraft tomorrow.

:oj:

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TheFlash said:

Thanks for confirming @CnoEvil. Yes, I made a deliberate decision not to replicate my active SCM40A's in Kendal: where's the fun in that? I'll be able to compare the actives with the passives+FLS10 for a week or so here and will report back.

If you hear, what I think you are going to hear....it will be both seductive and addictive. It should be refined and delicate, yet authoritative, controlled and exciting. Personally, I think it should get you thinking about how good the music is, rather than how good the kit is ie. It's the difference between being impressed by the performance, rather than the HiFi. IME. This is not something that you get by throwing money at a system, but by choosing components very carefully. It's hard to explain and is subjective.

I have just had a knock at the door....and my Gato DIA 250S has now been delivered. I have always found Class D was a bit "HiFi"......so it will be interesting to see if this Amp is as different as every review has said it is. It is the opposite end of the "Class" spectrum to your beast.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

The arrival, unpacking and installation ceremony:

IMG_4287.thumb.jpg.c794064b53f07d7f4010ec1564c65e94.jpgIMG_4288.thumb.jpg.9945da1b3465d450fe9854068ffe3a5c.jpgIMG_4289.thumb.jpg.457ebbfaf27bd107d2a7810380fa8382.jpgIMG_4290.thumb.jpg.ac089dd2a90962914ed7a994c0f2dd82.jpgIMG_4291.thumb.jpg.4707beb6317ccc3cc00dc40a9fe83a65.jpgIMG_4296.thumb.jpg.762363050768afee11e724f42d8f5c86.jpgIMG_4295.thumb.jpg.1d0b83a27da4d35c7c92440c28911e48.jpg

All I need now is some passive speakers to test it with... I'm collecting my ATC SCM40's from Musicraft tomorrow.

:oj:

Looks like a gorgeous amp. If it sounds as good as it looks then I am sure you will be more than happy!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
1 hour ago, CnoEvil said:

I have just had a knock at the door....and my Gato DIA 250S has now been delivered. I have always found Class D was a bit "HiFi"......so it will be interesting to see if this Amp is as different as every review has said it is. It is the opposite end of the "Class" spectrum to your beast.

Lovely machine there! I did look at this and the 400 - like you I'd heard that any expectations about Class D's "typical" sound should be laid aside with this one. I look forward to seeing your updates in the Gato Owners' Club!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Have you seen this: http://audiofi.net/2018/12/audia-flight-fls10-integrated-amp-elegant-and-well-poised/

If this is right, it is lighter/faster/crisper/leaner than the Nu Vista, which was velvety and fleshed out, with monumental bass.

Matched with ATC, I would expect great speed and precision, with a lightness of touch and terrific detail. A strong light will be shone on the Source.

Edited by CnoEvil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Looks great Nigel. Looking forward to your review with the ATC passives.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
36 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

Have you seen this: http://audiofi.net/2018/12/audia-flight-fls10-integrated-amp-elegant-and-well-poised/

If this is right, it is lighter/faster/crisper/leaner than the Nu Vista, which was velvety and fleshed out, with monumental bass.

Matched with ATC, I would expect great speed and precision, with a lightness of touch and terrific detail. A strong light will be shone on the Source.

Yes, thanks, that's one of the reviews which helped me take the plunge. The active SCM40A's are better all round than the passive SCM40's (Nick @Nopiano said they were simply more transparent and I agree) but the most obvious sonic difference is in the bass where the actives plumb the depths deeper and with more oomph (technical word). I really don't expect FLS10+SCM40 to beat SCM40A but I'm very excited about what I'm in for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Yes, thanks, that's one of the reviews which helped me take the plunge. The active SCM40A's are better all round than the passive SCM40's (Nick @Nopiano said they were simply more transparent and I agree) but the most obvious sonic difference is in the bass where the actives plumb the depths deeper and with more oomph (technical word). I really don't expect FLS10+SCM40 to beat SCM40A but I'm very excited about what I'm in for.

That will be an interesting one. What Source will be used on each (I've lost track), as that will be a significant factor at this level of "Highendiness" IME?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.