jables

KEF LS50 and Arcam Alpha 10 - New Amp Required - Need help!

I switched the M DAC plus from USB to SPIDIF and the whole thing sounds a million times better!! So much more balanced! 

Time for some more listening :D

Super Wammer

i would say stick with arcam as they do have a lovely sound., if your happy with the arcam sound stick with arcam. i had a arcam 65+ and boy it sound good

maybe google hifi hangar and see what second hand arcam or other brands that may fit the bill as they give great service and prices for 2nd hand gear

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jables said:

I switched the M DAC plus from USB to SPIDIF and the whole thing sounds a million times better!! So much more balanced! 

Playing the same disc/file from the same source, or with some other change too?

15 hours ago, MartinC said:

Have you considered adding a subwoofer? I say this as you mentioned your system potentially being a little bass light, and to some extent this is an inevitable consequence of the LS50's size

it's a fine suggestion.  Mainly because that's the set up I had. :) .   I found the sub (Velodyne CH10) added another layer of sound, but to be fair I never "integrated" it using the crossover frequencies.  Ultimately though, I need more and more and found the Spendors.

Not unlike what @CnoEvil posted previously, I feel like this system A39/LS50s/Sub is a potential giant killer and would come in around 2000 euros second hand. (at least that's what I would sell my complete set up for)

• Like 1

On 16/05/2019 at 19:04, ChemMan said:

Now there's something I never expected to hear, especially with a fair few folks who think Arcam has a warm sound.  Sorry it didn't work out. 

I'd be interested to hear what @CnoEvil and @TheFlash think about this.  (they are real Arcam fan boys.  hehe )

I don’t think modern Arcam is particularly warm. Fairly neutral. I’ve had to be careful that mine hasn’t gone too bright. 

50 minutes ago, HectorHughMunro said:

I don’t think modern Arcam is particularly warm. Fairly neutral. I’ve had to be careful that mine hasn’t gone too bright. 

I also think it isn't particularly warm.....but neither is it harsh, etched or analytical. 

Super Wammer

The a75 went in today , certainly not as ultra transparent as the sugden but you can turn up the wick a fair bit as it's smoother.  Be nice to find one with the incredible qualities of the a21se but a tiny bit easier on the ears with bad recordings 

Super Wammer

If you have deep pockets pogiboy has an a49 for 1595 but it won't be there for long 

On 16/05/2019 at 08:48, ChemMan said:

I also owned the A75 until just last September (I sold it along with the B&W CDM1se for 750).  Purchased in 2001 it was an excellent amp and served me well until I bought the A39 in 2016.  I remember  distinctly the difference in sounds between the A 65, 85 and 80.  While the 80 was more room filling it was also unnaturally warm. The A65 was not quite enough and the A75 just right.  A bit like the bears and the porridge. I still think I should have spent the extra 400 back then and got the Musical Fidelity. :)

I always found the A65 Plus quite open and transparent, which was different to earlier incarnations, such as the Alpha 7 and 8. The A80 was little different from the A65, except for the extra wattage. The A85 was a bigger boned A65. Overall I liked most of the DIVA range except for the latter A70, a short-lived amp as it was replaced a few months later by the FMJ A18.

For pure VFM the A65 Plus was the best compromise IMHO.

23 hours ago, hifinutt said:

The a75 went in today , certainly not as ultra transparent as the sugden but you can turn up the wick a fair bit as it's smoother.  Be nice to find one with the incredible qualities of the a21se but a tiny bit easier on the ears with bad recordings 

This is why you must try an a21a.. 👍🏻 

Super Wammer

yes i fear you may be correct , the a21se is the most remarkable amp [ having had an awful lot of amps !! ] its amazingly fast , huge cavernous sound with a very very low noise floor . but i don`t think it would stay long with the impulse . its great for 90 mins but after that its a bit much . the word `relentless` comes to mind . i must say not what i expected , i expected a warm soft powerful class A sound [ my msb errs on the warmish side but thats 200w class AB ] 

the arcam remote gives better control of volume i think , just a little bit fiddly with the sugden remote . however the arcam does not have the seismic bass of the sugden although its pretty good . of course the a75 cost a fraction of the sugden . 

2 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

yes i fear you may be correct , the a21se is the most remarkable amp [ having had an awful lot of amps !! ] its amazingly fast , huge cavernous sound with a very very low noise floor . but i don`t think it would stay long with the impulse . its great for 90 mins but after that its a bit much . the word `relentless` comes to mind . i must say not what i expected , i expected a warm soft powerful class A sound [ my msb errs on the warmish side but thats 200w class AB ] 

the arcam remote gives better control of volume i think , just a little bit fiddly with the sugden remote . however the arcam does not have the seismic bass of the sugden although its pretty good . of course the a75 cost a fraction of the sugden . 

Imo, the a21a gives you 90% of the SE but without the hardness. My new one (used) arrives in a few days and it’s mint and original so looking forward to the sound I had before.

sorry op, off topic lol

Super Wammer

mmmm sounds good , shame they dont make them any more . i wouldnt say the a21se was hard, just incredibly transparent and in my bright attic room it may be too much 

it will be on the tannoy eaton legacy soon and i expect it to shine 

3 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

mmmm sounds good , shame they dont make them any more . i wouldnt say the a21se was hard, just incredibly transparent and in my bright attic room it may be too much 

it will be on the tannoy eaton legacy soon and i expect it to shine 

Look forward to hearing about it.. 👍🏻