emcc_3e

Nagoaka MP110 for Planar 3

Currently using a elys 2 which came prefitted on my rega. Anyone got experience of the Nagoaka MP110 and would it be an improvement?

I find the elys lacks a little in treble and bass can sometimes lack in timing.

I am looking at carts with a replaceable stylus.

Edited by emcc_3e

Super Wammer

At the end of the day it is a budget cartridge.  Personal view is get a listen to the Audio Technicas, the Ortofons the Goldirngs and the Grados (and the dearer Nagaokas) and see if any of those delivers what you are looking for.  

Thanks. Though it is a little more difficult to audition carts than other items. Not sure if dealers are happy to open a load of packs just for a demo in the same way they will for amps and speakers.

Current short list, though open to recomendations from any rega users on their experiences, are:

Ortofon Bronze or black

Ortofon Blue (dealer can fit)

Nagoaka mp110

Nagoaka mp150

Nagoaka mp200

Rega exact (dealer can fit but doesn't have a replaceable stylus)

Goldring e3

I'm told the Orty 2m Bronze has a nice balance of attributes.

23 hours ago, Colinjg said:

I'm told the Orty 2m Bronze has a nice balance of attributes.

I have heard similar. Though my Rega dealer doesn't stock it:( , they stock the red and blue but not the bronze.

Will have to be an internet purchase and myself having a go at install and alignment. If it was a computer or anything network related I wouldn't hesitate. Not as sure with more manual things.

If I am going down that root it would be between the bronze, black and Mp200. According to the below video the MP200 betters the MP150 which bettered the bronze. Anyone experience of the black and MP200?

Edited by emcc_3e

Nagaoka cartridges will need a shim to heighten the arm, fairly simple to do but good to be aware of.

Buy the MP200 direct from Japan and save about £100, replacement styluses from Japan are also only £100, the cart for me was a big step up from the Ortofon blue 2m and Denon 110 which I previously used. 

Out of your list the 2M Bronze or Black (the Black is a total mare to set up properly and it needs to be) would win, for me, but my choice would be an IQ2 or 3 (the 2 is the sweet spot) or the Hana SH or EH.

Edit: Ignore the Hana's, just noticed you want replaceable stylii.

Edited by Idlewithnodrive

13 hours ago, Idlewithnodrive said:

Out of your list the 2M Bronze or Black (the Black is a total mare to set up properly and it needs to be) would win, for me, but my choice would be an IQ2 or 3 (the 2 is the sweet spot) or the Hana SH or EH.

Edit: Ignore the Hana's, just noticed you want replaceable stylii.

Thanks, the bronze does sound like a good idea as the stylus can be upgraded to black when it needs replaced. Though just to go off on a tangent also looking at a okki nokki RCM as well!!

On 15/05/2019 at 23:01, Mikeandvan said:

Buy the MP200 direct from Japan and save about £100, replacement styluses from Japan are also only £100, the cart for me was a big step up from the Ortofon blue 2m and Denon 110 which I previously used. 

I did that and got stung with VAT and import duty which basically removed most of the saving and if I bought one today I would definitely get one from a UK dealer. If you are lucky you might get away with it.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, hlinden said:

I did that and got stung with VAT and import duty which basically removed most of the saving and if I bought one today I would definitely get one from a UK dealer. If you are lucky you might get away with it.

Oh unlucky, I didn't get hit with any charges when I bought first the cart and then later a spare stylus.