rdale

Measuring the Effect of Extra Bass Traps

1 minute ago, rdale said:

Extremes say its range is 75-100 Hz, but I feel in my case it has affected the 40-50 Hz peak and flattened the ringing somewhat.

My scepticism comes from it therefore seeming very unlikely that the panel in question would actually do anything meaningful at around 40 Hz. Hence my strong hunch that there is something else going on with the measurements.

Obviously what matters most is that you're happier with the sound of your system now :).

• Upvote 1

I'll just add that in my own testing I've found examples where adding panels has increased some peak amplitudes (I assume by reducing destructive interference). By making measurements one after the other such that microphone position and volume level are exactly identical it is possible tell what's gone up and what has gone down, as distinct from seeing a relative change between two but being unsure which has actually changed.

I recently added three GIK Tri-Traps with range limiters to my KEF LS50 wireless based system, and measured the differences. The new traps are along with ceiling on the left hand side of the room. I also added a pair of GIK Gotham Quadratic diffusers on the rear wall above the panels of Vicoustic DC2 diffusers:

Manchester_flat.thumb.jpg.37c7f9b4632a303d403bb806919560a4.jpg

Here are the frequency responses before and after (green is before):

spl_levels.jpeg.eda4474d656edb29ec3a1b165b08a05f.jpeg

The REW waterfall before:

waterfall_pre_left_traps.jpeg.b37d45859866e9d594f6247ed76df595.jpeg

The waterfall after:

waterfall_2.jpeg.570cb94e70dad282146fc5327414702b.jpeg

The largest mode in this listening room is at 87 Hz, and I plan to get a couple of GIK Scopus bass traps tuned to that frequency on the right hand side in the corner by the right speaker.

The new traps have made a substantial improvement and the KEF R400b sub woofers are really fast, dynamic and powerful and they go down low too.

Edited by rdale

14 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I'll just add that in my own testing I've found examples where adding panels has increased some peak amplitudes (I assume by reducing destructive interference). By making measurements one after the other such that microphone position and volume level are exactly identical it is possible tell what's gone up and what has gone down, as distinct from seeing a relative change between two but being unsure which has actually changed.

Yes, that is certainly the best way to do it, but it isn't always possible. I feel REW is a bit complicated for what I'm trying to use it for, and I would trade complexity for less features, but better reproducibilty of the settings and measurements.

3 minutes ago, rdale said:

Yes, that is certainly the best way to do it, but it isn't always possible. I feel REW is a bit complicated for what I'm trying to use it for, and I would trade complexity for less features, but better reproducibilty of the settings and measurements.

This may well be obvious, but just in case not when you have an old measurement open the 'i' button towards the top left allows you to view a fairly comprehensive set of information about the setting used for a previous measurement. The microphone calibration, frequency range and sweep length are the main ones to worry about though which aren't hard to keep consistent. If you're using a soundcard for the measurements then this adds a bit more complexity too, which I avoid as I use my miniDSP. From my own experience I'd say consistent microphone placement is a bigger challenge, and this is with using a tape measured to record/check distances from boundaries and the height. I can set things up so that the measurements look pretty similar, but they will always be distinguishable. Other factors like having doors open or closed make a difference, as can where you are in the room if you don't leave for the measurements (I do when I'm being properly 'fussy').

I will say I've definitely got more confident as I've used REW more though.