plasticpenguin

Tracks of your years

They do a similar thing on Radio 2, where they invite a guest to choose the tracks that influenced them the most. These are not just musicians but actors also.

The first track that still resonates with me is The Small Faces Itchycoo Park. To this day it always reminds me of an uncle, though no idea why. I may have heard him sing it...

The second is The Foundations and Build Me Up Buttercup. Having grown up in a family that had a lot of Soul, Jazz and R&B records, it's hard to dislike this catchy number.

Thirdly. Has to be The Bee Gees Night Fever. As a teenager Saturday Night Fever was really the only album soundtrack to own. If not you were out of the friends loop. It's strange because if asked back then to name our favourite Disco group, The Bee Gees tended to be one of the first mentioned in 1977.

Probably the biggest musical influence was my friend and work colleague who had a vast collection of records and CDs in the 1990s. The album he introduced me to was Grace by Jeff Buckley. He let me borrow the album and I just didn't 'get' Buckley's music. Played it couple of times in the car and at home and must've taken the best part of a week (and several additional listens) before I understood and appreciated what a great voice he had. Since them I've practically purchased everything he recorded before his demise.

Although there are many more I could mention, from most genres, the above tracks are the ones that clearly stick out, and in some respects, have influenced my music buying from day one till now.

• Like 1

First a flashback memory song that always hits the spot is Keith West and Theme From A Teenage Opera .

Tracks that influenced me in changing musical direction :

I Can See For Miles and Miles - The Who which snapped me out of The Beatles

Nut Rocker - Emerson Lake & Palmer which stopped me going down the heavy metal road

In the City - The Jam which alerted me to punk although I didn't pursue The Jam

Garden Party - Marillion which got me back to loving music again

and finally

Alive - Pearl Jam which gave me another kickstart .

• Like 1

Super Wammer

The first track that made me stop and think about the world we live in was Simon & Garfunkel, silent night/7 o clock news from Parsley sage rosemary and thyme, Next was the Who sell out album, which was interspersed with pirate radio jingles, and strangely also had I can see for miles on it too , Barry. The next big change for me was hearing Ziggy stardust, and then getting to see the tour, twice, including the final night at Hammersmith, the rest as they say is history. Hearing Massive Attacks, Blue lines, for the first time, opened my ears to a type of sound I had not heard before, and likewise, later in life Miles Davis, Kind of Blue.

• Like 1

Woodstock, Crosby Stills & Nash. Around the time it was being played regularly on the radio, I was reading On the Beach by Nevil Shute - a post nuclear holocaust novel for those that haven't read it - a simple ending, everybody died. Hearing the song now always reminds me of that book.

• Like 1

On 13/05/2019 at 09:09, greybeard said:

The next big change for me was hearing Ziggy stardust.

I was a big ELP fan at this time , summer of ‘72 and I was doing gardening jobs before starting my apprenticeship in the September, l always had my tranny on and Starman caught my ear , still love that song , l bought Ziggy Stardust with my first weeks wages , all my fellow apprentices were Sabbath , Free , Zep fans so I was looked on as being a bit strange for a while 😎

• Upvote 2

On 13/05/2019 at 09:41, Tony_J said:

Woodstock, Crosby Stills & Nash. Around the time it was being played regularly on the radio, I was reading On the Beach by Nevil Shute - a post nuclear holocaust novel for those that haven't read it - a simple ending, everybody died. Hearing the song now always reminds me of that book.

Excellent

• Upvote 1