insider9

Cartridge advice

Super Wammer

Nagaoka mp110 would have been my pick. The E3 is a repackaged AT-95E.

7 minutes ago, smegger68 said:

I’ve been watching your avatar for the last 5 minutes. Before I invest any further time can you give me a hint,  does either player ever score?

• Haha 3

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, lostwin said:

I’ve been watching your avatar for the last 5 minutes. Before I invest any further time can you give me a hint,  does either player ever score?

Heh :D That would be telling.... B|

On 11/05/2019 at 18:54, insider9 said:

Thanks All, E3 is on the way. Will report findings after it's installed. 

Hello there

Be interesting to see how you get on with it.

I upgraded from Audio Technica At95e to the Ortofon 2M RED, and am very happy with it I paid about £100 for it, done a search where a brought it from and they are selling a used one for £59.00 see here if anyone is interested.

Cheers Frank

Super Wammer
19 hours ago, smegger68 said:

That’s interesting.  I thought I was Goldring’s own design, but just my imagination I guess.  It takes a lot to develop a cartridge and it struck me as odd to have three models all below £100.  As there’s now a newer AT I guess the Goldring might not be around much longer. 

I have a brand new Ortofon 2M Red , original box, not even mounted - for sale in classifieds...£65 + £3 p+p.

• Upvote 1

On 13/05/2019 at 18:34, smegger68 said:

No it isn’t. It is made in the AT factory and remove the Goldring outer casing and it is in an AT-95 housing but the magnet configuration is very different and is a bespoke Goldring design. 

6 hours ago, Nopiano said:

That’s interesting.  I thought I was Goldring’s own design, but just my imagination I guess.  It takes a lot to develop a cartridge and it struck me as odd to have three models all below £100.  As there’s now a newer AT I guess the Goldring might not be around much longer. 

It is Goldring’s own design. See comment above :)

• Like 1

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, dannybgoode said:

No it isn’t. It is made in the AT factory and remove the Goldring outer casing and it is in an AT-95 housing but the magnet configuration is very different and is a bespoke Goldring design. 

eseries.jpgAudio-Technica-VM530EN-Phono-Cartridge_M

Above you have the technical drawings of the Goldring and AT implementations of their 'Dual Magnet Designs'.
'Very different' eh?

17 hours ago, dannybgoode said:

Thank you... it's a proprietary design... wouldn't give different specs if it was same.

32307040907_b1ddbf37da_b.jpg

Edited by Sonogasm

Super Wammer
6 hours ago, Sonogasm said:

Thank you... it's a proprietary design... wouldn't give different specs if it was same.

32307040907_b1ddbf37da_b.jpg

That's the AT-VM95E, not the AT95E. That new version HAS been upgraded. The E3 uses the older AT-95E motor, which has the same specs as the E3 as you can see from the link:

https://www.thakker.eu/en/pickup/audio-technica-at-95-e-cartridge/a-4916/#technicaldata

from your link it looks like the only differences between e3 and your link include: 

Channel Separation 20 dB at 1kHz
Output Channel Balance 2.0dB
Output Voltage 3.5 mV (mV at 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec)
Vertical Tracking Angle 20°
Vertical Tracking Force Range 1.5 - 2.5g
Stylus Shape Elliptical
Stylus Size 0.3 x 0.7 mil
Stylus Construction Bonded Round Shank
Cantilever Aluminium Pipe
Coil Inductance 400mH (1 kHz)
Static Compliance 20 x 10-6 cm/dyne
Dynamic Compliance 6.5x10-6cm/dyne (100Hz)
Recommended Load Impedance 47,000 ohms
Recommended Load Capacitance 100-200 pF
Weight 5.7g

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 01:42, smegger68 said:

eseries.jpgAudio-Technica-VM530EN-Phono-Cartridge_M

Above you have the technical drawings of the Goldring and AT implementations of their 'Dual Magnet Designs'.
'Very different' eh?

Not quite .

What we have there is Audio Technica's illustration of how they think their Dual Magnet cartridge design best mirrors the design of the cutter head for better retrieval of information from the groove.

[And I've never been sure that I don't agree with them. AT Cartridges aren't perfect ...but they always get the basics of music reproduction very right.

Nothing especially  impressive about that you may say....except that so many cartridges get those basics so very wrong !  ;) ]

Edited by Smokestack
  • Upvote 1