Sign in to follow this  
Turk 182

bowers and wilkins formation duo

bowers and wilkins have just released a range of wireless speakers including the model called the "formation duo" - rrp £3499.

i dont really understand what the features and specs fully mean so i was just wondering what your opinions are ?

have the kef ls50 wireless met their match ?

Posted (edited)

The KEF LS50 Wireless (not) have already got serious competition from a couple of other brands.

Dali, Elac and Dynaudio spring to mind.

The B&W Formation Duo have a very distinctive styling and are sure to split opinions on their looks.

I personally think they look gorgeous.

There's a few problems for me though.

The matching stands are priced at £699 for the pair.

The Formation Audio wireless hub (£599) only has a single digital (optical only) and single analogue input, for connecting other sources.

There are no physical input sockets on the speakers themselves, so the £599 Audio is an essential addition if your source is CD, Vinyl or a dedicated streaming device.

Duo + Duo speaker stands + Audio = £4800

zzzzz

Edited by High 5
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, High 5 said:

The KEF LS50 Wireless (not) have already got serious competition from a couple of other brands.

Dali, Elac and Dynaudio spring to mind.

The B&W Formation Duo have a very distinctive styling and are sure to split opinions on their books.

I think they look gorgeous.

There's a few problems for me though.

The matching stands are priced at £699 for the pair.

The Formation Audio wireless hub (£599) only has a single digital (optical only) and single analogue input, for connecting other sources.

There are no physical input sockets on the speakers themselves, so the Audio is essential if your source is CD, Vinyl or a dedicated streaming device.

Duo + Duo speaker stands + Audio = £4800

zzzzz

hello high 5 and thanks for the detailed reply.

i love the styling but the details you have pointed out have slightly put me off them now - didnt realise the stands were £599 which is ridiculous...

i'll check out the other brands you have mentioned but i may return to my original "conventional" cd player, integrated amp and standmount speaker choice !

They are very good, but very expensive when you add the stands into the pot.

I can see the attraction for someone who values the looks as an equal to or greater than the sound quality.

However I think it’s possible to beat them on sound quality alone using a separate streamer/amp/speaker set up.

1 hour ago, manicatel said:

....However I think it’s possible to beat them on sound quality alone using a separate streamer/amp/speaker set up.

Maybe in the case of the B&W Formation Duo, but its doesn't follow that would necessarily be the case with other similar products.

Some of these audiophile grade, or whatever you want to call them, wireless actives are remarkably good and it would take a lot of wedge to match them with a separate amp + similar speaker combo.

If only ATC were to put wireless tech into their SCM40A actives............ woooooo !!!!!

zzzz

Super Wammer

Saw these in Stratford music matters recently , nice looking piece of kit and lovely shop from which I bought one of my first bits of kit 

Super Wammer
On 08/05/2019 at 12:18, Turk 182 said:

bowers and wilkins have just released a range of wireless speakers including the model called the "formation duo" - rrp £3499.

i dont really understand what the features and specs fully mean so i was just wondering what your opinions are ?

have the kef ls50 wireless met their match ?

A year or so ago I considered entering the hifi cable industry. Given the direction of the industry this post highlights, including the B&W's and some other examples, and noting the prices charged, I have modified my embryonic business plan and will now be focusing my R&D efforts on the non-cable industry.

I'll shortly be launching my range of wireless non-cables specifically designed and exhaustively tested in order to optimise the performance of wireless speakers. They will be cost-effective as no shipping is involved: they will be downloadable from my website. Each non-cable will be encrypted using the latest technologies in order to ensure that it can't be pirated.

I cannot reveal more at this stage. Please PM me for more details and have your payment details to hand. Contactless, obviously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4