The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

parcelmonkey

Recommendations For An, Ignoramus, Please!

I'll be upfront here, I'm being completely lazy and instead of me trawling & researching hundreds of YouTube vids of classical compositions; instead I hope to receive help here?

I watched this today and was very moved by the complexity and emotion of the music!

I gather it's a Beethoven composition. Sorry that's my limited knowledge used up! :oops:

As I'd like to fully explore more complex and dramatic pieces of music from the Classics, especially containing percussion and wind instruments for the differences between the two types of music but also for exploring the dynamics & insight of my system, could the kind folk here make some recommendations please?

Or link me to threads of a similar ilk as I find search here on the Wam not very useful...

So to reiterate; dramatic CD's or compositions of pace, rhythm & musicality... I don't have vinyl so digital availability only please.

Thank you.

You’ve chanced upon one of the towering pinnacles of the symphonic repertoire! They are playing part of the last movement of Beethoven’s 9th symphony aka his choral symphony. It’s a pretty good test piece for any hifi system with its large dynamic range and multitude of aural colours. The second movement has some rather good tympani (drum) bits and the third movement is one of the most sublime things ever written for an orchestra.

Where to go from there? The classical repertoire is enormous with an extremely wide range of styles. You could try Berlioz’s Symphonie Fantastique, the last movement. For incredible drama try the third movement of Shostakovich 8th symphony in the recording by Bernard Haitink; play it loud, feel the hairs on the back of your neck and elsewhere stand on end at the onslaught of percussion and watch your roof lift off at the end. For something a bit quirky try Thomas Ades’ Chamber symphony; the version with Marin Alsop has a particularly good recording and is full of striking instrumental colour and rythyms.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Camverton said:

You’ve chanced upon one of the towering pinnacles of the symphonic repertoire! They are playing part of the last movement of Beethoven’s 9th symphony aka his choral symphony. It’s a pretty good test piece for any hifi system with its large dynamic range and multitude of aural colours. The second movement has some rather good tympani (drum) bits and the third movement is one of the most sublime things ever written for an orchestra.

Where to go from there? The classical repertoire is enormous with an extremely wide range of styles. You could try Berlioz’s Symphonie Fantastique, the last movement. For incredible drama try the third movement of Shostakovich 8th symphony in the recording by Bernard Haitink; play it loud, feel the hairs on the back of your neck and elsewhere stand on end at the onslaught of percussion and watch your roof lift off at the end. For something a bit quirky try Thomas Ades’ Chamber symphony; the version with Marin Alsop has a particularly good recording and is full of striking instrumental colour and rythyms.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Just what I was hoping for, thanks, that should give me something to base my feelings from. Off to investigate. :^

Posted (edited)

Oops posted in wrong thread - sorry

Edited by ae111sr
Posted in wrong thread

11 minutes ago, ae111sr said:

I just fired up Konfig and noticed that there are new updates available for my Akurate DSM and Exaktbox.

Davaar 69 Build 289 (4.69.289)

I'll give that a try

Is this an avante garde genre to which you are referring ;)

I've just ordered Shostakovich 8th symphony by Bernard Haitink & Beethoven’s 9th symphony. It will be interesting to see how I get on.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

They are both big and long works so for anyone new to this repertoire I would tend to try and get to know one movement at a time. Perhaps start the Shostakovich at the third movement and the Beethoven with fourth movement, particularly as it was that that featured in the video.