Atze

SELEKT - no audio output until cold-start

Hi there, 

while I am still waiting for Linn and my dealer to come up with a solution for the whining noise my SELEKT makes (and each day passing more I think maybe to push for a refund...), another issue has come up recently with my (replacement) SELEKT. 

Sometimes once a week, sometimes many times a day, there is no more audio coming out of the speakers. This happens mostly when switching inputs, sometimes when turning on the SELEKT. This can only be solved by cold-starting the SELEKT (meaning using the hardware power switch). 

I checked every input I can: Toslink, HDMI, Roon, Kazoo, Analog-in and no source works anymore. The SELEKT all the while is responding fine to remote inputs, can be seen by controller software such as Roon and Kazoo. The front display displays bitrate/ album metadata fine. Just there is no more audio coming out of the speakers until I switch it off completely. Restarting by remote only does not help. 

Of course I contacted Linn and they said they never heard of that issue and I should take the device to my dealer to have him try to replicate the issue, which I am really not keen on. As I said above, it sometimes takes days until the issue reappears and I could find no way the replicate the issue. 

Anybody got any idea as to what the issue could be?

Regards, Atze

Blimey, I feel your pain. You've forked out more than £4k for something you've not been happy about from the outset. I'd be wanting a refund or an exchange until I have something I'm happy knowing that works as described. Your story has certainly put me off looking at the Selekt.

3 hours ago, Tin said:

I never heard of anything like this before either.

Is it the Selekt with the amplifier module? If it is output related, that seems like a reasonable suspect.

Yes it is the on with the amp. The amp seems to be the thing producing the whining noise, too. 

There are some Selekt fixes in the latest software ... might be worth trying an update to the Selekt

https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=ReleaseNotes&oldid=18787

Thx for the tip! The display issue I had before seems to be addressed based on the release notes. I will update and see if it fixes the other issue(s). One can hope...

7 hours ago, Atze said:

Yes it is the on with the amp. The amp seems to be the thing producing the whining noise, too. 

I don't have any answers, only questions: the whining noise, is that the noise of a small fan blowing very fast, or a more electrical coil noise?

I hope the Davaar upgrade helps, but the whining seems 'wrong' so maybe it is connected to the issue?

There's a thread here in the Troubleshooting section where I posted about the issue including a recording of it. This recording was made of my first SELEKT. The replacement unit sounds a bit more "Keith Richards", but roughly the same xD

Link to post/ recording

I have a friend with a Katalyst Selekt, who has the same problem. It was sent back to Linn for repair last Friday. Also the movement sensitive display isn't working as it should: either it doesn't react, or it reacts even if there's no movement close by. Very disappointing. He has also tried the latest software, that didn't solve it.

3 hours ago, Tendaberry said:

I have a friend with a Katalyst Selekt, who has the same problem. It was sent back to Linn for repair last Friday. Also the movement sensitive display isn't working as it should: either it doesn't react, or it reacts even if there's no movement close by. Very disappointing. He has also tried the latest software, that didn't solve it.

The whining noise or the no-audio issue? 

BTW: after the latest update, I have a new issue which I did NOT have before and actually is listed as a fix in the release notes:  "Fixed #6490: DSF/DSD playback: Crack noise between tracks." I have that crack noise now. Cool. :wall:

What pi**es me off additionally is that I asked my dealer at the beginning of April about the status for the whining-noise solution, he said there was supposed to be a solution in the middle of April, now it is soon mid-May and I have not heard a thing. Either the dealer isn't interested OR he equally is not getting any news from Linn. 

8 hours ago, Atze said:

BTW: after the latest update, I have a new issue which I did NOT have before and actually is listed as a fix in the release notes:  "Fixed #6490: DSF/DSD playback: Crack noise between tracks." I have that crack noise now. Cool. :wall:

What pi**es me off additionally is that I asked my dealer at the beginning of April about the status for the whining-noise solution, he said there was supposed to be a solution in the middle of April, now it is soon mid-May and I have not heard a thing. Either the dealer isn't interested OR he equally is not getting any news from Linn. 

I would send it back to the dealer. The Selekt clearly doesn't perform in the manner you might expect from a piece of high end equipment.

I'm sure Linn is capable of fixing the issues associated with the Selekt, but that shouldn't be your problem until they do.

Super Wammer

This example, and that from other multifunctional devices, suggests that separates still have a purpose in audio and will probably continue to do so for some years.  

13 hours ago, Atze said:

The no audio issue :sos:

Quick update: got the no audio issue again once after the second to last software update. So, it was not solved but occurred only once in about 2 weeks. Which is better at least, if not perfect. Just installed the the lastest update (3rd of June I think) and hope it does something to fix the issue finally. 

Update: I installed the latest firmware for the SELEKT somhwere around the 20th of June and had no issues until today. 

This morning, the SELEKT showed the no-audio issue again. And more extremely, I could get it to crash (SELEKT turning off with a loud cracking sound from the speakers) via my remote control switching inputs from Toslink to Playlist. Could repeat that a couple of times.  

Again, this was "solved" by disconnecting from power and restarting. I really hoped the issue was gone for good. 

• Sad 1