mr neds

Standmounts that are good at low volumes

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, savvypaul said:

Klipsch Heresy...the floor is the stand, or they can be raised on metal stands.

Superb presence at low levels.

Might find a pair of (slightly tatty) MK1s around £400.

Ah the Heresey, sounded 'good' at low volumes, only as they sounded terrible with anything other than background music. Just terrible! With my little Decware Zen, I so wanted it to work but had two problems, could not get the bass to work in my room (against the wall, away from wall, in the corner, on stands etc) as well as just something horrible going on in the midrange/low treble, really coloured!

Being constructive, I would go with Rega R1/RS1/RX1 if they have to be 'standmount', Acoustic Energy AE2s could be a shout if a bit larger and possibly over budget. 'Small' floorstanders like the Rega R3 range or Alya/Ela would be a good shout too, integrate well into rooms and work well near rear walls.

If its going near rear walls something like the Vandersteen 1C would be ideal. Designed to work next to rear walls to take up little space, very good room integration with nice even bass and work very well at low volumes.

Other than that, some Frugelhorn speakers would be a good shout.

Edited by HoopsOnToast
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HoopsOnToast said:

Ah the Heresey, sounded 'good' at low volumes, only as they sounded terrible with anything other than background music. Just terrible! With my little Decware Zen, I so wanted it to work but had two problems, could not get the bass to work in my room (against the wall, away from wall, in the corner, on stands etc) as well as just something horrible going on in the midrange/low treble, really coloured!

I love my Heresys...but they are the 3, so maybe a little less 'marmite' than earlier editions?

The only Rega speaker I've ever liked was the Ela Mk1. The Jura, later Ela, RS1, RS3 sounded muddy and nasty to my ears.

Just goes to show...

Super Wammer
15 minutes ago, savvypaul said:

I love my Heresys...but they are the 3, so maybe a little less 'marmite' than earlier editions?

The only Rega speaker I've ever liked was the Ela Mk1. The Jura, later Ela, RS1, RS3 sounded muddy and nasty to my ears.

Just goes to show...

I had the Heresey IIs, really wanted to love them but just did not get on. The Juras certainly are muddy!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HoopsOnToast said:

I had the Heresey IIs, really wanted to love them but just did not get on. The Juras certainly are muddy!

Speakers are soooooo personal...

• Like 1

I've just got some audioengine a5+. If you'd consider active speakers, these sound very nice at low volumes (though will also go very loud before struggling).

I think the slightly 'warm' sound may be partly why they sound nice at low volumes. They do seem to slightly emphasise some bass frequencies, though, so may not suit your room...

Royd sintra. Somehow still manage to groove at low volumes even though they're small. Driven witj sonething like a primaluna el34 based amp..Audionote/ Snell K are bigger but excel at lower volumes. 

1 hour ago, mr neds said:

Thanks Jon, but I think they’d be a step down, plus I’d be left with a £700 amp!

But amps all sound the same ;)

Sorry - didn't realise your current kit was under 'wigwam info'...