The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

plasticpenguin

Are you keeping your old stuff alive?

On 26/05/2019 at 15:52, wHIZZY said:

Really pleased with the Trichord Pulsar (circa 1994) which came with the external power supply (not pictured). It gives a very detailed and musical presentation with no hind of digital glare. It has a slightly darker presentation compared to my Tim de Paravicini  designed Musical Fidelity Digilog  (circa 1988) which I believe was claimed to be the first ever commercially available stand alone DAC ever produced. Also pictured is my B&O Beogram 1700 record deck from 1982 but still sounding excellent.  

P1070672.JPG

P1070675.JPG

Now that is a gorgeous deck !!!

Posted (edited)
On 26/05/2019 at 19:44, Amormusic said:

Yep. 

I think I paid about £150 for mine and sold it for less. I'd say around £150 would still be about right, though possibly on the high side.

The one currently on a well-known auction site has a home-made power supply that really would need to be looked at and checked. The mains wiring in it is awful.

Edited by rabski

50 minutes ago, rabski said:

I think I paid about £150 for mine and sold it for less. I'd say around £150 would still be about right, though possibly on the high side.

The one currently on a well-known auction site has a home-made power supply that really would need to be looked at and checked. The mains wiring in it is awful.

Nice one Thanks. I’ll pass on this one then...

I was unsure on the non-standard supply. But also, sounds like it’s priced a bit on the steep side. 

The hunt will continue 😀

On 20/05/2019 at 23:10, Amormusic said:

In the vein of this thread... I regularly buy and try various stuff to amuse myself... 

An itch I’d love to scratch is an Alchemist Kraken. Never heard one and they are pretty rare now, but at some point I’ve gotta own one of these just to hear it - it looks amazing (I know it’s not what it looks like that matters 😀) , but I’d love to hear one someday. 

Anyone got or had one? 

No, but my dad has the Alchemist Bragi / Freya / Genesis Monoblock setup - the gold-fronted ones. Not that they've been switched on for donkeys years now that I'm aware of, such a shame. I spent many an hour listening to my LPs through them, and quite often Russian radio too (for some reason his system used to be rather succeptible to picking up stray signals...). They took an hour of warm up to sound their best - you could tell when they started to come on-song. Wouldn't like to say how they compared to other contemporaries but they were very pleasant to spend time with.

I've still got my Monitor Audio 14's and my Pioneer A-400 - keep meaning to set them up in a second room, but really need a suitable 90's front end for them.

On 22/05/2019 at 20:45, uzzy said:

Fingers crossed that the Laser mechanism stays available for purchase.  The problem with many great CD players is when the laser dies the mechanism is no longer available and so it is in the end useless.  Hence my advice is always to find a decent player for not a lot of money with a digital out and invest in a DAC that you like ..  

And get a spare laser mechanism whilst their available.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Radford STA25 and Quad 303 here. I find the older gear far more satisfying to own with SQ as satisfying as anything out there. It's just lovely. I mean this isn't electronics, it's art...…..;-)

34irbiq.jpg

Edited by Ian
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Ian said:

I mean this isn't electronics, it's art...…..;-)

The art of tidying up electronic components? :minikev:

Edited by tuga
  • Haha 1