plasticpenguin

Are you keeping your old stuff alive?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I collect old CD players from the 80's and early 90's and I have two other systems just so I can use all those old CD players I collected over the years.

Edited by MrReaper182
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a couple of 80s turntables that are working perfectly - a 3 motor Voyd and a Technics SL7.

I also have an Audio Innovations S500 from late 80s and a pair of Living Voice Auditoriums from 1995.

All working beautifully, especially since the speakers are now sitting on top of a pair of Townsend Podiums which has given them a new lease of life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still have my old Hifi, 1990 and mid 90s

Meridian 206B CD player, the drawer needs a hand to get up and out in the morning :-)

AR EB101 TT

MF X-P100 pre and X-A200 power amps (replaced a MF A100 integrated)

EPOS ES14s with stands

Denon DRM-600 cassette deck

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since  upgrading  to a streaming only system at least 10 years ago my Linn Classik has now been my bedside radio / alarm clock and occasional cd player, used on a daily basis. Only wish it had DAB so I could listen to 6music without having to crank up the main system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Rayymondo said:

Since  upgrading  to a streaming only system at least 10 years ago my Linn Classik has now been my bedside radio / alarm clock and occasional cd player, used on a daily basis. Only wish it had DAB so I could listen to 6music without having to crank up the main system.

Does it have an input you could connect something that streams 6music via iPlayer/Sounds to? The Tivoli radio in my kitchen now almost exclusively plays streamed BBC radio channels via my phone.

Edit: note that sound quality is better via iPlayer than DAB.

Edited by MartinC
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yep, old, or even really old stuffs amazing.

Age can have some disadvantages but good sounding hi-fi gear is good sounding hi-fi gear regardless of age.

I have a 25year old Trichord DAC which I cherish (old for digital anyway). It doesn't do anything fancy, no fancy formats and no hi-res (who cares!), I think red-books the best anyway.

I've got a much more modern dac which probably betters it on every level, but there's something about the Trichords substance in the sound (well It was a DAC from the vinyl era) that has just made it a long term cherishable keeper for me which I often enjoy an evening in front of.

As big and ugly as it is (not really ugly obviously but it ain't no petite Chord jewel), I've never contemplated selling it.

It was serviced a few years ago by Trichord (yep they'll still do it), good as new.

47080776854_db239bd0ba_c.jpg

Edited by eddie-baby
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

I have one of the Trichord Dacs too, similar but different in that mine will handle HDCD and had a less pretty housing for the output stage external PSU (mines in a Mitchel casing ).  Still in regular use in my system and I'm with Eddie on how 'vinyl' it sounds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MF 1000 said:

I have one of the Trichord Dacs too, similar but different in that mine will handle HDCD and had a less pretty housing for the output stage external PSU (mines in a Mitchel casing ).  Still in regular use in my system and I'm with Eddie on how 'vinyl' it sounds 

Yep, heard Keith's DAC many times, its the same deal. And Im not sure on the numbers Trichord actually produced but each DAC that was made was very much a hand made individual thing. Just a great sounding machine. I'm convinced just as many old LS3/5A's are sort after collector's pieces now (but those were made in insanely higher numbers than most things were), I feel the same about this less well known DAC. There'll always be better, even some modern cheapo DACs will have elements of better to them to some ears (just as new mini monitors to LS3s will have), but as far as real musical enjoyment pieces go, a decent Pulsar is a solid piece of hi-fi audio equipment. Age, not even a consideration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

As I recall I paid around £350 for mine in 2011

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MF 1000 said:

As I recall I paid around £350 for mine in 2011

I think they were roughly around a grand new in the early 90s Keith (without an external power supply that was) So you had a bargain, the pricing hasn't followed LS3/5A rules that's for sure, but hey you've got to appreciate one for 8 years anyway. They still sell relatively cheap used though, that's when I could last be bothered to look. Its a very competitive area DACs these days tho, but the Trichords are great machines to live with, I've listened to some phenomenal dacs over the years, but I still love what the Trichord does, can't see me ever wanting to sell it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator

Even putting aside the carbon dating comment, I have little in the 'real' system that is modern. Never mind the circuits, some of the valves I use are well over 60 years old, and most of the small signal tubes are from the 1960s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, rabski said:

Even putting aside the carbon dating comment, I have little in the 'real' system that is modern. Never mind the circuits, some of the valves I use are well over 60 years old, and most of the small signal tubes are from the 1960s.

As I said earlier 'good sounding hi-fi gear is good sounding hi-fi gear regardless of age'.

How do you know that? Because it sounds good when you listen to it ! ;)

Edited by eddie-baby
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Asking me if I'm still running old equipment is like asking if the Pope's Catholic.

The oldest components I still use are 80's. As in: they're 80 something years old. Those 1930's radiograms had some valves that are capable of unbeatable midrange realism (in my tests so far).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eddie-baby said:

Yep, heard Keith's DAC many times, its the same deal. And Im not sure on the numbers Trichord actually produced but each DAC that was made was very much a hand made individual thing. Just a great sounding machine. I'm convinced just as many old LS3/5A's are sort after collector's pieces now (but those were made in insanely higher numbers than most things were), I feel the same about this less well known DAC. There'll always be better, even some modern cheapo DACs will have elements of better to them to some ears (just as new mini monitors to LS3s will have), but as far as real musical enjoyment pieces go, a decent Pulsar is a solid piece of hi-fi audio equipment. Age, not even a consideration.

Wow. Any thoughts dear readers on the Pink Triangle DaCapo ?

It has one BNC input and I am in touch with someone looking to move a unit on. It does *not* have an external PSU as my current DAC has with its ElectroSound piece. It is a large item for what effectively powers 1 BNC inputs to 2 RCA (no XLR on it.)

2 hours ago, rabski said:

Even putting aside the carbon dating comment, I have little in the 'real' system that is modern. Never mind the circuits, some of the valves I use are well over 60 years old, and most of the small signal tubes are from the 1960s.

This is very interesting rabski! Perhaps one day you might be inclined to pick up an A500 from HK as I did many years ago, being under 40. If you do, change the factory mains wire and it should remain fused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Millennium said:

Wow. Any thoughts dear readers on the Pink Triangle DaCapo ?

It has one BNC input and I am in touch with someone looking to move a unit on. It does *not* have an external PSU as my current DAC has with its ElectroSound piece. It is a large item for what effectively powers 1 BNC inputs to 2 RCA (no XLR on it.)

This is very interesting rabski! Perhaps one day you might be inclined to pick up an A500 from HK as I did many years ago, being under 40. If you do, change the factory mains wire and it should remain fused.

Yes, l had Decapo and an Ordinal years ago- when l used to change kit like my underwear:sick: anyway a very nice bit of kit, a big large in physical side great sound quality and l had no reliability issues with either dac.:geek:

Quite cutting edge at the time l seem to recall.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.