plasticpenguin

Are you keeping your old stuff alive?

My stuff is pretty much 20-50 years old, except the home cinema, I have a new Blu-ray player and a recent HD projector. Possibly couple of 10-15 year old cd players.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I don't regard my stuff as old, but I suppose it is getting a bit "mature"

LP12   1989 ( couple of upgrades 91 and 97)

Naim aro arm  1990.

AI  L1 valve preamp.  Early/mid 90s

Power Amps   1997

Proac 1Scs  1998 ( Xmas)

Still have my Marantz  Tuner and Pioneer Cassette deck under the stairs. 1980.

My vinyl collection starts in 73 and still gets played.

Edited by Colinjg
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, bencat said:

I have two systems that get used most if not every day and they are almost all made of older equipment . What was a really good piece of kit then is almost certainly still a good piece of kit now .

I agree with that. The exception being the DAC, which you've updated to a more recent model.

Wow...there is a lot of vintage being mentioned here. Most of them belong to before I was even born :)

Glad that all you good folks kit is still running full steam. My modern devialet blew a fuse after 3 months of use :D

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, tuga said:

I agree with that. The exception being the DAC, which you've updated to a more recent model.

Sorry being a lazy B have not updated my information for a while . I use a Metrum Quad which is also now getting on a bit in one system and in the other a MiniDSP DDRC unit which acts as Active Crossover , DSP Room Corrector and DAC . This is obviously new but essential as I could ne get the system to work without it . Digital by the nature of its fast turn over is not likely to be used as vintage in the same way Speakers , Amplifiers , Turntables , and Tuners are . I am sure some of the classic CD units like Marantz CD94 are still sounding pretty good and the Theta Data Basic I use is getting on a bit and sounds as good as anything else I have heard to play a CD. Streamers , DAC's and the rest are all changing but for me the cost of some of the so called Hi Fi streamers are just not justified and offer me little if any improvement over a Raspberry Pi .

Since starting this thread I've grabbed my Marantz tuner, and it sounds great. Okay, so it's a little shabby looking (so would anyone stuck in the attic for years) and has the build quality of a Cola tin... does sound rather good.

DSCF0892.JPG

• Like 3

In fact so keen am I on keeping the Sony 337ESD going I am about to pick it up following a thorough service. Can’t wait :)

Super Wammer
On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 21:15, rabski said:

I think some of my stuff probably ought to be carbon dated.

Talking of carbon dating, here is my latest stuff for restoration, Tannoy single corner unit, with 12" silver DC, plus a Tannoy mono block to compliment it.

1808978972_Tannoycornercab.jpg.8f466cd6c1d17676c31a923a59196a49.jpg              2117401142_Tannoyamp.thumb.jpg.f01a57fd02faa1a24d5b02941df1f111.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I don't have anything I'd consider properly vintage kit but my speakers, pre and power amp are all ballpark 15 years old I think so by the standards of some here these will be 'old'.

I do have a few components older than this, but I'd only ever power them up if I needed them. 

Meridian200/203, Kef 104/2, NaimCB, Roksan Xerxes/Tabriz were my system for 25 years and more. 

Then I discovered the Wam.

Only the Meridian remains. And works and sounds excellent by comparison to many more modern CD based systems.

• Haha 1

Nakamichi Gold Dragon

Ruark Sabre serial No 008

Gyro Deck

Inca Tech Claymore Red

Royd Floor Stand 

Can we have mandatory vintage pics to go with this thread?!

3 minutes ago, tackleberry said:

Can we have mandatory vintage pics to go with this thread?!

Nope, I am too darned laxy! :)

Still using a Pioneer 9800 tuner fairly often and dug out my Rogers Studio 1 a few weeks ago for a listen. It sounded reasonable after running for a while, the tuner is excellent if fiddly to tune.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, greybeard said:

Talking of carbon dating, here is my latest stuff for restoration, Tannoy single corner unit, with 12" silver DC, plus a Tannoy mono block to compliment it.

1808978972_Tannoycornercab.jpg.8f466cd6c1d17676c31a923a59196a49.jpg              2117401142_Tannoyamp.thumb.jpg.f01a57fd02faa1a24d5b02941df1f111.jpg

Love the speakers. :^

Super Wammer
22 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

Love the speakers. :^

From the days of mono, so just the one.