plasticpenguin

Are you keeping your old stuff alive?

1 hour ago, dannybgoode said:

337ESD

Get it to a Kegworth for us, please ;)

58 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

The 337ESD is one of the best CD players I’ve ever heard. Including the cost of the player and a service for it I have £700 invested in it in total and it should be good pretty much for my lifetime. 

Fingers crossed that the Laser mechanism stays available for purchase.  The problem with many great CD players is when the laser dies the mechanism is no longer available and so it is in the end useless.  Hence my advice is always to find a decent player for not a lot of money with a digital out and invest in a DAC that you like ..  

• Like 1

On 20/05/2019 at 23:10, Amormusic said:

In the vein of this thread... I regularly buy and try various stuff to amuse myself... 

An itch I’d love to scratch is an Alchemist Kraken. Never heard one and they are pretty rare now, but at some point I’ve gotta own one of these just to hear it - it looks amazing (I know it’s not what it looks like that matters 😀) , but I’d love to hear one someday. 

Anyone got or had one? 

I had a Kraken many years ago. I had mixed feelings about it. It had some serious grunt and a clean sort of sound, but seemed to get a bit muddled when you turned the wick up. I sold it in the end, because it didn't seem to do anything better than many of the alternatives and after a while the looks began to grate on me. Plus it certainly did run hot. Very.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, uzzy said:

Fingers crossed that the Laser mechanism stays available for purchase.  The problem with many great CD players is when the laser dies the mechanism is no longer available and so it is in the end useless.  Hence my advice is always to find a decent player for not a lot of money with a digital out and invest in a DAC that you like ..  

This is exactly why I’ve spent £400 on a new old stock transport and laser assembly. 

The original one is still going strong but when it dies I have a replacement ready to go :). The £700 includes this £400. 

7 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

Get it to a Kegworth for us, please ;)

Why-do you want to hear it :)  

10 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

This is exactly why I’ve spent £400 on a new old stock transport and laser assembly. 

The original one is still going strong but when it dies I have a replacement ready to go :). The £700 includes this £400. 

The problem is (if you live as long as me lol) is that there will be many years of listening left when the second laser assembly dies.  I have buried two Meridian CD players in the last 20 years .. I did toy with the idea of buying a small case and putting a pc power supply in it and a cd rom (as found in computers) which means every time it died I could just pop it out and slot in a replacement for all of about £20 each time.  

22 minutes ago, uzzy said:

The problem is (if you live as long as me lol) is that there will be many years of listening left when the second laser assembly dies.  I have buried two Meridian CD players in the last 20 years .. I did toy with the idea of buying a small case and putting a pc power supply in it and a cd rom (as found in computers) which means every time it died I could just pop it out and slot in a replacement for all of about £20 each time.  

Well the first one has lasted around 30 years and is showing no signs of failing - the KSS-190A assembly will be the one thing along with cockroaches that survives a nuclear war. 

I think my CDs will fail before the player is eventually ready for retirement :D 

Posted (edited)

Mid 70's LP12

1978 Planar 3

1980 Luxman PD264

1986 Rock mkII

1970s full range Wharfedales

1970s KEF 104aB

1995 Castle Howard S1 (youngsters)

1980s Denon 250-II amp

Yup keeping my older gear alive is fun.

Edited by Batty
  • Like 2

My 1980, TD160 S - in a fancy new skirt....

Thorens upgrade 2016 (43).JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, dannybgoode said:

Why-do you want to hear it :)  

Of course

• Like 1

I have either the Trichord research pulsar DAC or Dicaprio on the cards. Maybe both. £250 ish each! 

Trichord 1 comes with external PSU and some kind of input digital sample rate switching. I'm leaning to that as I do like my MDAC, but if I buy both I could sell on my mdac + es psu for say £350 - 566?

Sorry for the curt post if you could let me know that the trichord is comparable or better with psu than the Dicaprio I will proceed to make a 2 hand purchase (lol) :---)

Posted (edited)
On 20/05/2019 at 21:26, MF 1000 said:

Post some pics and let us know, me & Eddie will be interested in your thoughts 

Really pleased with the Trichord Pulsar (circa 1994) which came with the external power supply (not pictured). It gives a very detailed and musical presentation with no hind of digital glare. It has a slightly darker presentation compared to my Tim de Paravicini  designed Musical Fidelity Digilog  (circa 1988) which I believe was claimed to be the first ever commercially available stand alone DAC ever produced. Also pictured is my B&O Beogram 1700 record deck from 1982 but still sounding excellent.  

P1070672.JPG

P1070675.JPG

Edited by wHIZZY
  • Like 1

Looking good Dave. Nice set up there. 

24 minutes ago, wHIZZY said:

with no hind of digital glare

That is one of the things I really like about it as well :^ 

On 22/05/2019 at 20:47, rabski said:

I had a Kraken many years ago. I had mixed feelings about it. It had some serious grunt and a clean sort of sound, but seemed to get a bit muddled when you turned the wick up. I sold it in the end, because it didn't seem to do anything better than many of the alternatives and after a while the looks began to grate on me. Plus it certainly did run hot. Very.

@rabski

there’s a kraken on the bay, for £450 but with an aftermarket power supply...

I’m tempted, but unsure as it has this..

also, inevitably, I will buy it, try it, then swiftly sell it and I’ve barely seen any of these come up. 

Can you remember what it cost new, I.e. is this a reasonable deal?

Cheers,

1 hour ago, Amormusic said:

@rabski

there’s a kraken on the bay, for £450 but with an aftermarket power supply...

I’m tempted, but unsure as it has this..

also, inevitably, I will buy it, try it, then swiftly sell it and I’ve barely seen any of these come up. 

Can you remember what it cost new, I.e. is this a reasonable deal?

Cheers,

450 squid for a Kraken?