plasticpenguin

Are you keeping your old stuff alive?

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, lindsayt said:

Asking me if I'm still running old equipment is like asking if the Pope's Catholic.

The oldest components I still use are 80's. As in: they're 80 something years old. Those 1930's radiograms had some valves that are capable of unbeatable midrange realism (in my tests so far).

My DHT Preamp uses type 26 valves that were originally used for 1930's radiograms  etc and I can agree with the 'realism' comments.  Downside of them is a lack of overall gain, but used in my active setup give IMHO a level of realism & instrument separation that exceeds most 'modern' preamps either SS or valve based.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, lindsayt said:

Those 1930's radiograms had some valves that are capable of unbeatable midrange realism (in my tests so far).

Fully appreciate what you are saying there. Had some experience with those radiograms and as you say some have remarkable sound, even if they are as rarely seen as potty chairs now. I think the antique look hifi looks cool myself, not all of it sounds amazing though the real tricky bit is finding the good rare stuff in the rare stuff. 

As for the decapo that did have a very well respected audience in its day. I never got around to hearing one :( there may be hope one day perhaps if someone brings a well felted one to a Wam show :D Things like that seem to pop up in Wam meets. 

And it was mentioned about vocal / midrange realism as well something that the 40 (or whatever) year old  LS3/5A still excell at today. I don't even think modern iterations have ever bettered them. Again, sure, improvements are made here and there but they are not bettered. If I had a decent set I'd still be happier to keep the old timers forget what's out there and just enjoy my music! 

Edited by eddie-baby
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Yes. But it also keeps me alive, as does the music it plays.

NS1000M.jpg

20180624_174202.jpg

20180505_083722.jpg

20180722_181604.jpg

Edited by oldius
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MF 1000 said:

My DHT Preamp uses type 26 valves that were originally used for 1930's radiograms  etc and I can agree with the 'realism' comments.  Downside of them is a lack of overall gain, but used in my active setup give IMHO a level of realism & instrument separation that exceeds most 'modern' preamps either SS or valve based.

There is something special about virtually all DHTs, but similarly about older tubes in general.

The driver circuit on my 845 can take almost anything. Normally it uses a pair of new production KT66s, but currently there are a pair of Osram's in there. They're the 'big bottle' shouldered shape, but clear glass not grey, which I think makes them 1940s. I would never say 'night and day' to describe different valves, but even in this application (running seriously less bias and current than ideal), they certainly open up the sound notably and as you say, the mids are lovely.

Once the 6922 pre is finished, I have an assortment of ancient tubes and a DHT pre is definitely on the 'to do' list.

15 hours ago, lindsayt said:

Asking me if I'm still running old equipment is like asking if the Pope's Catholic.

The oldest components I still use are 80's. As in: they're 80 something years old. Those 1930's radiograms had some valves that are capable of unbeatable midrange realism (in my tests so far).

We had a GEC radio mono gram up until the early 1980s in the living room. The overriding memory was how heavy the tone arm was, which had an old fashioned ceramic cartridge. If your turntable had a magnetic cartridge you were the person to be known in our street. 

6 hours ago, rabski said:

Normally it uses a pair of new production KT66s, but currently there are a pair of Osram's in there. They're the 'big bottle' shouldered shape, but clear glass not grey, which I think makes them 1940s. I would never say 'night and day' to describe different valves, but even in this application (running seriously less bias and current than ideal), they certainly open up the sound notably and as you say, the mids are lovely.

Those early kt66/ vt75 valves are a step up from  post war kt66s.

You are doing them a disservice driving modern (?) 845s. But as you've found out, they still improve things..

They are as good as px4s.

But you need efficient speakers if used on their own.😁

I have a collection of 1920-30s valves.. they all sound better than 1950s valves but there are few ready built amps for them. The gain is all about the valve type, they match most of today's valves. The late 20s and 30s made indirectly heated valves are the equal of any dht valves in my experience.

1 minute ago, steve 57 said:

You are doing them a disservice driving modern (?) 845s. But as you've found out, they still improve things..

This is true. However, my stupidly large collection of old valves stems from the habit of buying them when they had little monetary value. The results of the changing market are twofold. On the plus side, I have a reasonable addition to my pension fund (more than 'reasonable' in some cases).

On the downside, while I am happy to buy some NOS stuff that is still sensible, there is no way I am going to pay the 'going rate' for some things. For valves like 845s and 300Bs I just have to put up with relatively modern production. I am still kicking myself for many years ago turning down a box of WE 300Bs because I thought they were too expense (don't ask. Seriously, don't ask).

Posted (edited)

Hi, alive or bear sleeping.. My old amp Harman Kardon A402 stopped working while my son was moving the jack on his smartphone and I just heard the crack.. Now waiting time for repare because this diferent box has something special and I like it enough. 

In the house that I had my school and young man pleasures (2000 miles away) I still have covered and protected the Castle Stirling of the good ones 30 years old maybe, and a big NAD amp with VU meters which model I don't remember now, a pair of KLH model 6 and the receiver model 52 - what amazement and soul-orgasm.. The Fisher 400 receiver - boxed and locked, some day will need awaking, any think - in the right moment.. 

Edited by Angelotti69

15 hours ago, rabski said:

This is true. However, my stupidly large collection of old valves stems from the habit of buying them when they had little monetary value. The results of the changing market are twofold. On the plus side, I have a reasonable addition to my pension fund (more than 'reasonable' in some cases).

On the downside, while I am happy to buy some NOS stuff that is still sensible, there is no way I am going to pay the 'going rate' for some things. For valves like 845s and 300Bs I just have to put up with relatively modern production. I am still kicking myself for many years ago turning down a box of WE 300Bs because I thought they were too expense (don't ask. Seriously, don't ask).

I was up to around 10,000 valves a few years ago. I have sold quite a few these last 3 years. Along with the old bikes and car and piles of amps, decks and speakers they have turned out to be the best pension supplements.

I'd love to hear about the box of we 300b. I was lucky enough to get a pair of stc 4300a a few years ago. They sound really good. 

Good afternoon all! My Monitor Gold 3LZ 'speakers date from 1973, I'm not sure how old the Luxman PD 264 is, the AI 500 (SN51636) has the Hinchley Transformers so might be from the mid 1980's. The Dacmagic 2i is mid 1990's and the Rotel RCD 06 is something I bought new in 2007...🤓

Posted (edited)
On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 01:33, Millennium said:

Wow. Any thoughts dear readers on the Pink Triangle Dacapo

I used for many years the Pink Triangle Cordinal cd player which was from the same era and may have used  a similar DAC  (the Ordinal) 

Loved this machine although it was a bit temperamental at times , drawer opening by itself now and then as I remember.

I wandered into a dealer in a strange town out of curiosity and they had a discontinued and  ex display one that I think they were desperate to get rid of, I paid £500 for it there and then after going to a bank and getting money transferred) and if I remember rightly the RRP was £1800. This dear reader was back in the 90s so very expensive bit of kit at the time. Sounded lovely BTW, no digital harshness which was the norm back then ;-)

PINK%20TRIANGLE%20CARDINAL-500x500.jpg

Edited by Rayymondo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Rayymondo said:

Sounded lovely BTW, no digital harshness which was the norm back then ;-)

+1

And that digital harshness still exsists in modern DACs. Its not just the cheaper variants either. I hear people saying about the resolution, clarity and edges of the sound. But they overlook the digital nastyness that I do, once your tuned into hearing it its hard to overlook.  Yes, somethings can sound impressive in more modern DACs, but most of the time it sounds overly digital, lifeless and sometimes thin depending on what it is.

Edited by eddie-baby
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, eddie-baby said:

And that digital harshness still exsists in modern DACs. Its not just the cheaper variants either. I hear people saying about the resolution, clarity and edges of the sound. But they overlook the digital nastyness that I do, once your tuned into hearing it its hard to overlook.  Yes, somethings can sound impressive in more modern DACs, but most of the time it sounds overly digital, lifeless and sometimes thin depending on what it is.

True! That's why I now own a Linn Klimax Renew ;-) (possibly a similar sound signature to the old Pink Triangles) 

Edited by Rayymondo
  • Like 1

On 17/05/2019 at 22:42, MF 1000 said:

As I recall I paid around £350 for mine in 2011

Just bought a Trichord Pulsar two days ago for that exact price (£350) and looking forward to hearing it when it arrives later this week. By comparison to my favourite DAC which is a late 1980s Musical Fidelity Digilog the Pulsar is almost modern. It will be interesting to see how they compare. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Post some pics and let us know, me & Eddie will be interested in your thoughts 

• Upvote 1