sunbeamgls

Linn System Hub - Why Is It So Well Hidden?

41 minutes ago, Nestor Turton said:

There are some very expensive boxes compared with Akurate System Hub that bridge UPnP/Ethernet to Coax S/PDIF . I wondered if Akurate System Hub could do this job and allow me to connect HDMI and Toslink into the bargain. I think it can and sync my non-Linn system and Linn system. However, trying to find out about this from Linn web’s site was harder than it should have been. 

The Linn docs are superb, but it’s front end site seems to have been designed by marketing men. It is a criticism I have of many modern website. I preferred the days when Web sites were simpler, less graphical and I could find information. I guess, as a Linn user, I’m not interested in seeing adverts, whereas this may be appropriate for those who are not Linn users.  

As the Akurate system hub has SPDIF, Toslink and HDMI outputs, you could use it to connect it the way you think. There is one caveat with HDMI though; it doesn't decode protocols, so you still need a surround proccesor of some sorts to create PCM.

As for the website; it's just a leaflet, nothing more.  And as you say, a lot more websites suffer from the same illness. Yesterday I was looking at a website where I could choose between 3 different cable sizes to see the price for each length. The moment I chose one, all information about the cables disappeared, including the prices. Guess what I won't be ordering.

Super Wammer
10 hours ago, Tin said:

As the Akurate system hub has SPDIF, Toslink and HDMI outputs, you could use it to connect it the way you think. There is one caveat with HDMI though; it doesn't decode protocols, so you still need a surround proccesor of some sorts to create PCM.

Unless the newly available optional surround processor module is added, they you don't need an external decoder any more.

27 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

Unless the newly available optional surround processor module is added, they you don't need an external decoder any more.

I hadn't thought of that. Are you sure though it can forward a decoded signal through the digital outputs?

Thanks for the info, very useful and not easy to find out from web site. 

13 hours ago, Tin said:

I hadn't thought of that. Are you sure though it can forward a decoded signal through the digital outputs?

Good question. I somehow doubt it - the digital outputs are currently only pass-throughs, so it will most likely bypass any decoding. Just a hunch.

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, timster said:

Good question. I somehow doubt it - the digital outputs are currently only pass-throughs, so it will most likely bypass any decoding. Just a hunch.

I'm not sure that the surround module can do anything except HDMI inputs and outputs.

5 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

I'm not sure that the surround module can do anything except HDMI inputs and outputs.

I'm probably even less sure, but my impression was that the surround module was to be used in combination with (at least some) Exakt technology only. 

Linn docs sort of suggests that here.

But like I said, I'm not sure at all.

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Tin said:

I'm probably even less sure, but my impression was that the surround module was to be used in combination with (at least some) Exakt technology only. 

Linn docs sort of suggests that here.

But like I said, I'm not sure at all.

Yes it does, except with Selekt which I guess has the option to add lots of amplifier modules, some of which could be Exakt.  Mud, clear as :)

Every one of those diagrams only shows HDMI as the input.

22 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

It can do TOSLink and SPDIf inputs too. No mention if outs though.

Direct decoding of surround streams from HDMI / HDMI-ARC / TOSLINK / SPDIF is supported with the addition of a Linn Surround module mounted onto the HDMI-2 board within the DSM.

Super Wammer

^ tried a SP-DIF input last night and it worked fine.

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, Tin said:

On which output(s)?

Exakt