Interesting if you like that sort of thing.

(Look away, Chebby - It's a WHFI interview) ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

An interesting sort of read.. I think

Generally I take these interviews with a [large] pinch of salt. "I was never into hi-fi". Enough to know you could make a good living from it.

When one of the Leema's owners said, we started to produce speakers because we wanted a monitor to replicate real instruments. Or in plain English, "mmm... I could earn a killing from this game"

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

Interesting if you like that sort of thing.

(Look away, Chebby - It's a WHFI interview) ;)

I have the book, so I know the history. I also met the man briefly (a very long time ago) ...

http://www.rega.co.uk/a-vibration-measuring-machine.html  (well worth the money although mine was a present).

I don’t need to read the interview thanks.

Edited by chebby

9 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

Generally I take these interviews with a [large] pinch of salt. "I was never into hi-fi". Enough to know you could make a good living from it.

If you’d read the book, you’d understand.

10 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

When one of the Leema's owners said, we started to produce speakers because we wanted a monitor to replicate real instruments. Or in plain English, "mmm... I could earn a killing from this game"

Let us know how you get on putting together a system from all those 'not for profit' companies ( after selling your Leema obviously). Or start making your own (like Roy did).

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

Literally no one has become seriously wealthy from Hi-Fi probably since the 80’s or 90’s. The last time I looked at Meridian’s financial results, for instance, they were making less than a small chain of makeup shops that I also looked at. 

It’s very unlikely that Leema are making serious money either. There are a few who are comfortable but that’s it. 

44 minutes ago, HectorHughMunro said:

Literally no one has become seriously wealthy from Hi-Fi probably since the 80’s or 90’s. The last time I looked at Meridian’s financial results, for instance, they were making less than a small chain of makeup shops that I also looked at. 

It’s very unlikely that Leema are making serious money either. There are a few who are comfortable but that’s it. 

I'm just very cynical of these interviews. Good PR though for both the magazine and Rega.

2 hours ago, HectorHughMunro said:

Leema almost went under but were bought out by  their circuit board suppliers Davlec 5 years ago ...

https://www.davlec.com/

2 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

I'm just very cynical of these interviews. Good PR though for both the magazine and Rega.

Should I wish you as much success in your business as you seem to wish these other British companies?

Why are you ‘very cynical’?  Don’t you want them to do well?

24 minutes ago, chebby said:

Should I wish you as much success in your business as you seem to wish these other British companies?

Why are you ‘very cynical’?  Don’t you want them to do well?

They do well without the extra PR.

My business is successful.... for our needs. I turn away work because I'm comfortable, relatively speaking.

My business model was very restricted to start with, given spousal limitations. There's no comparison.

Rega are very good at what they do and I'm great at achieving what I've achieved over the last decade.

Yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn :zzzz:  Shame they didn't keep the hardwood surround from the original Planar 2 .. I always wondered why it was cheaper than the 3 (which had a nicely formica covered bit of chip board with no solid wood edging). 

The turntables are what they are (I personally preferred the Sansui SR222).   For £15 more you could get a Thorens TD160 in 1974 - no contest the Thorens wins hands down.  

The move to a Glass turntable platter (which was clever) to give mass and flat surface at vastly reduced engineering costs.  and hats off for the RB250 and 300 arm design (they were corkers).  That about covers it in my books :zzzz:

Super Wammer

I'd recommend the book as well, excellent read and great insight into Roy and Rega's history :)

At least we are still recognised in the UK for our audio successes 

Sugden

Naim

Rega

Harbeth

linn

to name a few.. regardless what opinions are, at least it’s better than our dead car industry 

i get where the not interested in hi fi comes from.  I own, and have owned a lot of Rega kit over the years. Is it the best Hi-Fi type sound you can buy. Hell no, it was never designed to be. It is however some the best when it comes to conveying  the emotion and feel of the music. When I bought my first Rega I compared it to Sansui, Thorens, and some lenco thing. In terms of engineering the Rega was without a doubt the simplist, and probably cheapest of the lot. It did however have a arm fitted that blew all the others into the weeds. It was not my first choice, that would have been a LPT, with a Rega arm, if I could have been supplied with one that worked.