The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

jcchristopher

A red/crimson resistor fell out of my Sneaky DS

25 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

I think you will see that in this instance I was agreeing with you. :D

I know! The bit I was saying 'quite right' to, is that there are soldered ones as well as plug in.

We both seem to agree that this is a plug in, so to the OP, don't solder it please. Just bung it in't hole.

It wouldn't stay in the hole without solder, so I did solder it back in. Unfortunately no power still. 

How likely is it that the fuse has failed? Seems like I can only order 10 at a time and with shipping it'll run about $25 USD. Worth the gamble? 

If you can get it out again, put a meter across the terminals to check the resistance. If it's failed, it will be open circuit. However, it all seems a bit odd. If it just fell out, then it wasn't soldered, so should not have needed to be.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rabski said:

If you can get it out again, put a meter across the terminals to check the resistance. If it's failed, it will be open circuit.

I recall saying to test it before soldering it in.

• Upvote 1

I don't think that anyone on the thread so far has mentioned the (to me) obvious action of contacting Linn Support and finding out how much, if any warranty is left on the Sneaky. That warranty may of course have been voided by the actions taken so far. As components generally don't just fall off a well made PCB, I'd want to to know whether there was some sort of underlying problem before reaching for the soldering iron.

David

Not to worry... it's been long out of warranty. And from a friend who had to send his Majik DSi in, there's a flat fee of $450 at least for repairs from the US. 

It's a plug-in fuse so if there are no sockets in the board to take it maybe it came from somewhere else on the PCB?

9 minutes ago, Alex 54 said:

It's a plug-in fuse so if there are no sockets in the board to take it maybe it came from somewhere else on the PCB?

It's a thought, but the earlier picture shows two holes where something goes, and it's marked 'F1'. As F is the standard designation for 'fuse', it doesn't look like there are many alternatives.