plasticpenguin

Wireless streamers.

You can use streaming app like Spotify, Tidal etc. on your mobile phone or tablet and use bluetooth to send signal to a bluetooth capable receiver or amp. And the other option is to get a dedicated streamer connected to your dac or amp and control it via app (not bluetooth) on your mobile phone, tablet or pc. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the suggestions. Think I need to break it down: Sites like Spotify are just hosts, is that right?

1) Sound quality. By that I mean I don't want compressed, analytical playback. Whether the files are FLAC or whatever it needs to sound natural (or as natural as one can get on a entry-level streaming device).

2) Accessibility. Easy to download, regardless of an app or Bluetooth....

3) Which ones are free and which one do I have to pay for?

Apologise if this sounds crass and naive but I have no experience of downloading, apart from MP3 via my daughter's iPod, and that was dreadful sounding.

Edited by plasticpenguin

14 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

Thanks for the suggestions. Think I need to break it down: Sites like Spotify are just hosts, is that right?

1) Sound quality. By that I mean I don't want compressed, analytical playback. Whether the files are FLAC or whatever it needs to sound natural (or as natural as one can get on a entry-level streaming device).

Apologise if this sounds crass and naive but I have no experience of downloading, apart from MP3 via my daughter's iPod, and that was dreadful sounding.

Pp.. I would suggest try both Bluesound node 2i and Auralic Aries mini. The latter can only be controlled via ios app though not android. 

1 hour ago, Iceman 16 said:

Pp.. I would suggest try both Bluesound node 2i and Auralic Aries mini. The latter can only be controlled via ios app though not android. 

Will a iOS app work with my phone. Thought it was an Apple device?

1 minute ago, plasticpenguin said:

Will a iOS app work with my phone. Thought it was an Apple device?

No, iOS is unique to Apple devices. Only apps intended to run on Android will work with your Samsung phone.

6 minutes ago, Sam Vimes said:

No, iOS is unique to Apple devices. Only apps intended to run on Android will work with your Samsung phone.

Thanks. Confirmed my thoughts. :^

Super Wammer
17 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

This might help...

https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/streaming/best-music-streaming-services

The main question to ask yourself is whether you’d rather stream from a service like Spotify or Qobuz, which are not free for the quality of CD, or rip your own CDs to your laptop or a NAS drive and replay them.  Or both!  

1 hour ago, Nopiano said:

This might help...

https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/streaming/best-music-streaming-services

The main question to ask yourself is whether you’d rather stream from a service like Spotify or Qobuz, which are not free for the quality of CD, or rip your own CDs to your laptop or a NAS drive and replay them.  Or both!  

I think at this stage, I'll need to go back to entry-level streaming for two main reasons:

Firstly, I have no idea whether I can suss this streaming lark.

Secondly, I need some sort of gauge of how streaming sounds compared to vinyl and CDs.

At this point I'm not thinking about ripping... no point in streaming and ripping if the SQ is rubbish (as I see or hear it) 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

I think at this stage, I'll need to go back to entry-level streaming for two main reasons:

Firstly, I have no idea whether I can suss this streaming lark.

Secondly, I need some sort of gauge of how streaming sounds compared to vinyl and CDs.

At this point I'm not thinking about ripping... no point in streaming and ripping if the SQ is rubbish (as I see or hear it) 

It is p*ss easy at this level. Plug the Arcam Miniblink into it’s power unit from the mains psu provided in the box. Plug it in to a spare input on your amp.

’Pair’ the device to your phone on Bluetooth. When you turn Bluetooth on (on the phone) it will search for and find your Arcam Miniblink.

Find an online radio service that you like (Radio Paradise is very good for starters) or a free streaming service like Spotify or download the BBC IPlayer Radio app and play something.

This should take a few tens of seconds at most.

Edited by chebby

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, chebby said:

It is p*ss easy at this level. Plug the Arcam Miniblink into it’s power unit from the mains psu provided in the box. Plug it in to a spare input on your amp.

’Pair’ the device to your phone on Bluetooth. When you turn Bluetooth on (on the phone) it will search for and find your Arcam Miniblink.

Find an online radio service that you like (Radio Paradise is very good for starters) or a free streaming service like Spotify or download the BBC IPlayer Radio app and play something.

This should take a few tens of seconds at most.

Don't doubt it's easy. I'm being over cautious because sometimes it doesn't do what it says on the tin.

On Tuesday I'll get a good look at the entry-level stuff and something a little higher like the Cambridge and see if I'm comfortable with streaming as a whole.

Perhaps - at long last - this worm has entered the 21st Century. Let's see which way it wiggles.

Cheers.

Edited by plasticpenguin

Hey PP, I've got 2 Squeezebox Touches, and do networking over the mains via Devolo widgets, works a treat. Music is stored on a 6TB NAS drive, music is all ripped from CDs using lossless formats, ripped using Exact Audio Copy (EAC) on my PC.

My primary SBT is plugged into a digital input on my Wadia, so its easy to compare the SBT source vs the CD, only the transport/digital input is different. I'd say the CD player sounds marginally better than via the SBT, but its marginal.

Happy to show you/chat about ripping etc. as you wish.

Sure some of these people don't know their a**e from the elbows. Phoned two Richer Sounds stores (Guildford and Reigate) and the Reigate branch said that using Bluetooth isn't advisable. If a phone call comes in it'll stop whatever I'm playing, but seemed reluctant to offer a viable alternative over the phone.

Guildford, on the other hand, spoke to the assistant manager, would only recommend Cambridge CXN, even though the question was "I'm looking for a cheap way to start streaming - don't want to spend a lot to start off with, as I'm not computer or phone literate..."

Bloody waste of time.

On 29/04/2019 at 12:57, Bodgit said:

Hey PP, I've got 2 Squeezebox Touches, and do networking over the mains via Devolo widgets, works a treat. Music is stored on a 6TB NAS drive, music is all ripped from CDs using lossless formats, ripped using Exact Audio Copy (EAC) on my PC.

My primary SBT is plugged into a digital input on my Wadia, so its easy to compare the SBT source vs the CD, only the transport/digital input is different. I'd say the CD player sounds marginally better than via the SBT, but its marginal.

Happy to show you/chat about ripping etc. as you wish.

Good offer this, and not far from  you, get them feet dancing happy-penguin2.jpg.f01974e394b0853f235dcbb6a42d353c.jpg

58 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

"I'm looking for a cheap way to start streaming - don't want to spend a lot to start off with, as I'm not computer or phone literate..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PP.

As always, the most important thing is to be clear about what you are actually trying to achieve. It appears to me that you wish to access some form of online streaming service but it is not really clear.

Assuming I am correct, then you need to address the following issues. If not, feel free to let me know.

You can stream via Bluetooth from your android phone to a Bluetooth receiver, these can cost as little as £20 or more for a version from a hifi company such as Arcam whose entry level MiniBlink is £79. These will work as described by previous posters.

The downside is that your phone is the source, so using it for anything else, even just answering a call, will disrupt the stream, additionally it will also run down your battery pretty quickly.

In my view it is preferable to use a streamer that works independently and does all the 'work', your phone then simply works as a 'remote' and once the music is playing, it can be used for other things or simply sit in standby, or even switched off. Such streamers will work with radio style sites like Rhapsody, but if you want total control of playback, you will need a subscription to a 'premium' service.

The most popular are Spotify or Tidal, both cost £9.99 month for lossy, or Tidal at £19.99 month for lossless (CD quality), free trials are available.

The simplest,  least expensive way to do this would be the Yamaha WXAD10, which is a fully functional streamer that will do everything that you need. It has no input facilities and simply a fixed analogue out to connect to your amplifier. It is available new for just £120.

It is controlled from your phone by the Yamaha MusicCast app or the Spotify app if you use Spotify Connect, which whilst not so slick as those from Bluesound or Sonus, is pretty good for such an inexpensive option.