plasticpenguin

Wireless streamers.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, MGTOW said:

PP.

As always, the most important thing is to be clear about what you are actually trying to achieve. It appears to me that you wish to access some form of online streaming service but it is not really clear.

Assuming I am correct, then you need to address the following issues. If not, feel free to let me know.

You can stream via Bluetooth from your android phone to a Bluetooth receiver, these can cost as little as £20 or more for a version from a hifi company such as Arcam whose entry level MiniBlink is £79. These will work as described by previous posters.

The downside is that your phone is the source, so using it for anything else, even just answering a call, will disrupt the stream, additionally it will also run down your battery pretty quickly.

In my view it is preferable to use a streamer that works independently and does all the 'work', your phone then simply works as a 'remote' and once the music is playing, it can be used for other things or simply sit in standby, or even switched off. Such streamers will work with radio style sites like Rhapsody, but if you want total control of playback, you will need a subscription to a 'premium' service.

The most popular are Spotify or Tidal, both cost £9.99 month for lossy, or Tidal at £19.99 month for lossless (CD quality), free trials are available.

The simplest,  least expensive way to do this would be the Yamaha WXAD10, which is a fully functional streamer that will do everything that you need. It has no input facilities and simply a fixed analogue out to connect to your amplifier. It is available new for just £120.

It is controlled from your phone by the Yamaha MusicCast app or the Spotify app if you use Spotify Connect, which whilst not so slick as those from Bluesound or Sonus, is pretty good for such an inexpensive option.

As I've mentioned before I don't know the best method, as I've never tried streaming, don't know anyone with a streamer....

It is down to the shop sale people to listen to the question and advise on the best options for me. I am literally starting at the bottom rung of the ladder, both physically and intellectually.

Edited by plasticpenguin

Super Wammer

PP

Grab yourself one of these from eBay EZCAST MUSIC WI-FI WIRELESS RECEIVER STREAMER HOST - AIRPLAY DNLA QPLAY SERVER

They're only £20 and should do all you want at this point in time meaning you can investigate streaming for minimal cost. I've ordered one as a house warming gift for a streaming virgin friend of mine. 

Also watch the YouTube video that accompanies the listing as it will give you an idea of what it's capable of. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lurch said:

PP

Grab yourself one of these from eBay EZCAST MUSIC WI-FI WIRELESS RECEIVER STREAMER HOST - AIRPLAY DNLA QPLAY SERVER

They're only £20 and should do all you want at this point in time meaning you can investigate streaming for minimal cost. I've ordered one as a house warming gift for a streaming virgin friend of mine. 

Also watch the YouTube video that accompanies the listing as it will give you an idea of what it's capable of. 

Good idea. Then try Spotify. Choose your favourite artist, check the similar artist list. Pick a artist you have never heard of, then repeat.  You'll listen to new music every day. It really is the future.!! And forget about the hifi!

Posted (edited)

Going to visit a shop tomorrow and hopefully I'll have some idea of what is doable for me.

@Lee M not sure what you mean by "forget about the hi-fi" That won't ever happen..

Edited by plasticpenguin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, plasticpenguin said:

As I've mentioned before I don't know the best method, as I've never tried streaming, don't know anyone with a streamer....

It is down to the shop sale people to listen to the question and advise on the best options for me. I am literally starting at the bottom rung of the ladder, both physically and intellectually.

PP.

I have just explained the basics in simple terms, from someone who has no axe to grind and isn't trying to sell you anything.

1 hour ago, plasticpenguin said:

Going to visit a shop tomorrow and hopefully I'll have some idea of what is doable for me.

@Lee M not sure what you mean by "forget about the hi-fi" That won't ever happen..

You need to forget to enjoy the music. It's the music that should feed your soul not the equipment. I get as much enjoyment listening by one ear bud (as I cut the broken one off. Lol) at work as I do on my hifi at home. Without the music the equipment is pretty useless. Maybe I'm to easily pleased! 

2 hours ago, MGTOW said:

PP.

I have just explained the basics in simple terms, from someone who has no axe to grind and isn't trying to sell you anything.

I know what you've said/suggested. Without seeing one in the flesh and whether I feel comfortable with a streamer/device, any suggestions won't hit home. 

2 hours ago, Lee M said:

You need to forget to enjoy the music. It's the music that should feed your soul not the equipment. I get as much enjoyment listening by one ear bud (as I cut the broken one off. Lol) at work as I do on my hifi at home. Without the music the equipment is pretty useless. Maybe I'm to easily pleased! 

That's what I'm searching for, but it won't happen without the hi-fi. Rarely listen to headphones so it needs to function with the hi-fi.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

That's what I'm searching for, but it won't happen without the hi-fi. Rarely listen to headphones so it needs to function with the hi-fi.

I only mentioned my broken headphones as I can only listen with one ear, that is unimportant as its the music that matters. I got invited to Yoda900s house the other day, as magnificent as his system sounds I enjoyed my small 20 quid Bluetooth speaker in the car on the way home just as much.

Streaming can be so easy or as difficult as you can make it. I bet 80+% of the people with these fancy pants multi thousand pound streamers or the little PI computer wouldn't be able to tell if I plugged a CCA in for a whole album of their choice.

I hope you find your simple streaming solution. Just make sure you find new music via streaming from Spotify or Tidal etc, one thing for sure your hifi will sound better for it.

Edited by Lee M

2 hours ago, Lee M said:

one thing for sure your hifi will sound better for it.

Let's see.

Hi plastic penguin.

Iam probably late to the party. But I fully endorse the Google Chromecast at 30 odd pounds. 

As mentioned above, I run both a complicated and a simple streaming setup with a CCA. And despite the huge difference in price between the two, the performance when used with an external dac is really really  close to call..

So if you already have a dac or a CD player with an optical input, then a CCA is all you really need :)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

Hi plastic penguin.

Iam probably late to the party. But I fully endorse the Google Chromecast at 30 odd pounds. 

As mentioned above, I run both a complicated and a simple streaming setup with a CCA. And despite the huge difference in price between the two, the performance when used with an external dac is really really  close to call..

So if you already have a dac or a CD player with an optical input, then a CCA is all you really need :)

Cheers. My Arcam CDP is cream crackered, only works when it feels like it, hence why I'm exploring a streaming device.

You never know, once I start playing with a streamer I might feel the love. ;)

• Like 1

Super Wammer

I recommend a bluesound Node 2i. I have the previous version Node 2 to look at no difference in style just function. Good luck deciding which streamer to buy.

https://www.bluesound.com/products/node-2i/

1674427542_ScreenShot2019-05-01at13_00_33.png.7d1f51a00747017c430cea959d2f839b.png

When you demo a streamer, make sure they show you the functions via the app on tablet smart phone etc. That is what you will operating and looking at most of the time. I thought i'd enclose some screen shots of the Node 2 for you.

IMG_0001.thumb.jpg.1944590f1bafcf00e11e4bd7cb5a85a3.jpg

IMG_0002.thumb.jpg.20a061de96454b6315df444462e891a3.jpg

IMG_0003.thumb.jpg.e3f33e74043c7ea502f6bba905b2165d.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beyond you said:

I recommend a bluesound Node 2i. I have the previous version Node 2 to look at no difference in style just function. Good luck deciding which streamer to buy.

https://www.bluesound.com/products/node-2i/

1674427542_ScreenShot2019-05-01at13_00_33.png.7d1f51a00747017c430cea959d2f839b.png

When you demo a streamer, make sure they show you the functions via the app on tablet smart phone etc. That is what you will operating and looking at most of the time. I thought i'd enclose some screen shots of the Node 2 for you.

IMG_0001.thumb.jpg.1944590f1bafcf00e11e4bd7cb5a85a3.jpg

IMG_0002.thumb.jpg.20a061de96454b6315df444462e891a3.jpg

IMG_0003.thumb.jpg.e3f33e74043c7ea502f6bba905b2165d.jpg

Cheers. Very helpful. :^