plasticpenguin

Wireless streamers.

1 hour ago, orbscure said:

If your Android phone/device has bluetooth (which I'd be surprised if it didn't) then once paired, you're good to go...

It's the Samsung Galaxy J4+.

Super Wammer

3 hours ago, orbscure said:

Cheers. Have been scrolling through phone and found Bluetooth. How that works in real time is another matter. I'll probably pop into RS on Tuesday and see how it all works (that's the plan anyway).

Super Wammer

If the guys'n'gals in your local RS are anywhere near as good as mine, they'll probably be more than happy to run through what you need to do...

13 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

Cheers. Have been scrolling through phone and found Bluetooth. How that works in real time is another matter. I'll probably pop into RS on Tuesday and see how it all works (that's the plan anyway).

As always with RS, call them before you visit to check that your branch has one.

@plasticpenguin what are you planning to stream?

Assuming it’s Spotify/Tune in radio or a number of other things then as per my previous post...the Chromecast Audio sounds better, is cheaper, and doesn’t get dropouts like the Arcam can (although admittedly it is very good, but occasionally I did get them). 

I’ve previously owned an Arcam rBlink and a Chromecast Audio. The Arcam got sold and permanently replaced by the CCA, which I’ve since subsequently sold as I’ve shelled out on a much better streamer. 

A CCA can be picked up on eBay for about £15-20 and they really are excellent for the cash. 

Food for thought. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amormusic said:

@plasticpenguin what are you planning to stream?

Assuming it’s Spotify/Tune in radio or a number of other things then as per my previous post...the Chromecast Audio sounds better, is cheaper, and doesn’t get dropouts like the Arcam can (although admittedly it is very good, but occasionally I did get them). 

I’ve previously owned an Arcam rBlink and a Chromecast Audio. The Arcam got sold and permanently replaced by the CCA, which I’ve since subsequently sold as I’ve shelled out on a much better streamer. 

A CCA can be picked up on eBay for about £15-20 and they really are excellent for the cash. 

Food for thought. 

This is where my streaming knowledge stops short. I don't want files that are compressed....

Posted (edited)

Bluetooth vs WiFi/direct internet streaming are two different things. I will defer to other peeps to give a more knowledgeable and better explanation than me, however in my experience there is a marked difference in the quality of the two...

The Arcam rBlink (mini blink is little brother) is, I think, pretty much as good as Bluetooth gets (other brands are available). 

However, in a side by side comparison against a CCA, which is probably the cheapest actual WiFi streamer available (and can be Ethernet connected I believe with an adapter - I didn’t do this) *correct me if I’m wrong anyone* is comfortably outclassed...

With what I now know, having already tread this path in the past, if you want to dip a toe and try streaming then pick up a CCA for peanuts. If it’s crap and you don’t like it, you’ll get your cash back if you resell it. 

Otherwise, go all out and get a Bluesound Node2 or Cambridge Audio CXN, or better than these, depending on your budget. 

Proper internet connected  streaming is better than Bluetooth ime. 

But to dip a toe. £15-20 for a CCA is all that’s needed. 

Edited by Amormusic
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, chebby said:

As always with RS, call them before you visit to check that your branch has one.

We have Kingston and Guildford. I'll contact both to see which ones have the best choice of stock.

It would appear that no one has suggested anything somewhere in between the price of the Google CCA and something like the Bluesound Node 2, so I'll chuck in the Yamaha WXC-50. It should do all that the OP wants in a single box and an app that works just fine on android phones/tablets. It has Bluetooth (send or receive), Wi-Fi and wired capability.

Bluetooth just don't do it for me for serious listening. For background music its fine but it doesn’t delve deeper as in something is missing imo.  

Posted (edited)

Can’t do on my phone but questfor13th note did a detailed thread on the CCA...

...sure some kind wammer can add you a link to that?

For the money, £30 brand new, it’s really an awesome piece of kit. Even if it was £100 I would still be impressed.

Deffo go proper streaming rather than Bluetooth would be my 2 pence... and CCA is cheapest entry to that, but as I and others have said, are loadsa diff options. 

CCA is just a toe dip, cheap, to try it - but it’s still a bloody awesome piece of kit!!

*edit - but you do have some decent kit, so a better one would be better sounding. I stepped up to Cambridge Audio CXN from the CCA which was night and day better (and humble compared to many peeps setups on here), but which is next level good. 

Depending on your budget, can you borrow or try out/get some dealer trials of proper streamers?

Richer Sounds stock the Cambridge Audio CXN, AudioT stock Bluesound Node2 (3 now I think?) and there’s many options in between and above in price.  

Edited by Amormusic

Posted (edited)
On 26/04/2019 at 11:52, orbscure said:

With regards Wi-Fi/hard wired options, as John/Lurch says... in my case, until I get a hardwire from my router to my server, I use two of these...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Configuration-Required-UK/dp/B01BECPIMC/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1UZ35K9SG6THT&keywords=tp+link&qid=1556275570&s=gateway&sprefix=tp+link%2Caps%2C332&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

One connects to my router in the back room (where my NAS is situated) whilst the second connects to my streamer/server in the front room. Its not ideal and some will say that electrical noise can be added, but they work beautifully :) 

I always used to say this, from experience many years ago, but it seems no longer as bad as it used to be.

When we changed all the AV setup, we needed t'internet to connect to it and hardwiring would have been a real pain. I bought a set of the TPLink. One is in Anne's office, next to the router and not far from 'my' room. The other is downstairs in the room with the AV. It's virtually underneath me and my system is on the same ring. Absolutely zero interference on the system as far as I can tell. Plug the TPLink in when there's vinyl playing (which ought to be the most sensitive to interference) and I can't hear any difference.

Edited by rabski
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Iceman 16 said:

Bluetooth just don't do it for me for serious listening. For background music its fine but it doesn’t delve deeper as in something is missing imo.  

Unless I'm wrong, the Bluetooth allows for controlling the setup with a phone/tablet app. The actual streaming is via wirless. I may be wrong though.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, rabski said:

Unless I'm wrong, the Bluetooth allows for controlling the setup with a phone/tablet app. The actual streaming is via wirless. I may be wrong though.

It's likely to depend on the unit concerned. In the case of the Yamaha, a phone/tablet controller operates the unit via Wi-Fi. All the bluetooth is for is to receive audio that it isn't possible to  send via Wi-Fi (Spotify free in my case, because I'm too tight to subscribe. If I did pay for Spotify Premium, using bluetooth would not be necessary) or to send audio to another bluetooth device (speaker/headphones).

Edited by Sam Vimes